Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229196 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:44 PM »
I love the Marvel stuff. I thought the last Avengers movie might move a little darker but I'm not disappointed it did not. Since I watch them all, I knew the one liners would be there and I expect them. I mean, how can you not laugh as Thor is defending Loki, calling him his brother and of Asgard as someone quips, but he killed 80 people.....and Thor laments "He's adopted". Plus, it gets me to watch them several times to pick up on all the small nuances scattered throughout all their movies.

Captain America, The Winter Soldier had the opportunity to be dark. Good guys, bad guys, bad guys who are now good. The captain, who does not compromise his principles.....Captain America is a good candidate for a "dark Knight" type of flick.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »
Steins;Gate.
Now the best anime I have seen ( and I have not finished it. Probably will tomorrow) It takes all of the elements I loved from "Voices from a Distant Star" and puts them together with Groundhog's day ( times eleventy). Tonights last episode just knocked it out of the park for me. Its in the same league with LOTR now.

I am so enjoying this one. And yeah that is just under  13 hours entertainment (guaranteed!) for about $1.16 an episode for blue ray and DVD together on Amazon.

I laughed. I cried. Its was better than Cats.  I want to see it again and again

Update: Finished it. Totally lives up to expectations, and it gives me a potential new "fun" project for the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncqDI6mUXd4

Main Character is a bit like Dr Horrible, and its really a nice blend of comedy and drama. 
So don't be a one banana cautious carl, use the whole bunch and buy the series. Now.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:43:25 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #722 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
Steins;Gate.
Now the best anime I have seen ( and I have not finished it. Probably will tomorrow) It takes all of the elements I loved from "Voices from a Distant Star" and puts them together with Groundhog's day ( times eleventy). Tonights last episode just knocked it out of the park for me. Its in the same league with LOTR now.

I am so enjoying this one. And yeah that is just under  13 hours entertainment (guaranteed!) for about $1.16 an episode for blue ray and DVD together on Amazon.

::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #723 on: June 05, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
My 5 screen drive-in that announced it was closing permanently last year re-opened.

Yay!

Last night went to see a double feature:
Mad Max and Run All Night.

Mad Max was non-stop mayhem and blowing things up.
Not much else.

Run All Night, with Liam Neeson and Ed Harris wasn't too bad.

Their characters were life-long friends.
Harris' character built a crime empire and Neeson was his hit man.

Harris' son was part of the family business.
Problem was that while Harris was going "legitimate", the son was trying to put a major drug deal together with some Albanians who gave him a lot of upfront money which he spent.
Dad nixes the deal and the Albanians want their money back.
Son kills them.

Neeson's son is trying to go straight and they have been estranged for years.

He's a semi-pro boxer with a limo service that just happens to transport Albanian drug dealers and a normal family
When Harris' son kills them, he tries to erase all evidence and tries to kill the limo driver.

Neeson kills Harris' son and the rest of the movie is about he and his son eluding everyone trying to catch them.

It wasn't bad

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #724 on: June 05, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Does neeson die in the end? Otherwise I'm not interested.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #725 on: June 05, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
A demise like Redford's in Captain America-The Winter Soldier...I could watch that on loop...

;D

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #726 on: June 05, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
Yes, he dies in the end.

Happy ending.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #727 on: June 05, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
I watched "The Sound of Music" for the first time ever last night. I had been missing out all those years.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #728 on: June 05, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
I watched "The Sound of Music" for the first time ever last night. I had been missing out all those years.

How. Did. You. Manage. That? Did your parents just hate you or what? I was set down in front of it at the age of 3.  It did the same with my kids. My daughter used to ask for it so she could watch the abbreviated version ( she would watch the first half, often skipping ahead to songs) and she LOVED do-re-me.

When I bought my very first projector for waaay too much money, the very first thing I watched on it - before I even had a screen -- was The Sound of Music.  I had ordered the DVD just so it could be the first thing I watched in full 16x9 wide screen ( this is back in the olden days when no TV had a 16x9 aspect and waay before blu-ray)  - and as a result it was the first time i had ever really seen it.  The cropped 4x3  version I saw on tv as a kid simply doesn't do it justice. Please tell me you at least watched it in 16x9?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #729 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
I believe I've made mention of my lifelong aversion to musicals. I always considered Sound of Music to be in that formerly loathsome category. Now that I've expanded my horizons to include musicals, opera, ballet, etc, I thought it was time to watch the classic. What an excellent film from a much simpler time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #730 on: June 05, 2015, 02:55:52 PM »
Oh, now you're ready for Paint Your Wagon...

::rimshot::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #731 on: June 05, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »
Catching up on Oscar movies that don't look like they suck too bad and ya know what?  The Theory of Everything doesn't suck.  It's quite good, in fact.  And Eddie Redmayne's performance leave you believing you really are watching Steven Hawking, it's so good.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #732 on: June 05, 2015, 03:37:53 PM »
I believe I've made mention of my lifelong aversion to musicals. I always considered Sound of Music to be in that formerly loathsome category. Now that I've expanded my horizons to include musicals, opera, ballet, etc, I thought it was time to watch the classic. What an excellent film from a much simpler time.

You've never got plastered and seen Tommy or The Wall or Rocky Horror or Heavy Metal or the like, at a midnight show?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #733 on: June 05, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »

You've never got plastered and seen Tommy or The Wall or Rocky Horror or Heavy Metal or the like, at a midnight show?

I saw Tommy at thee drive-in. Hated it - but then, I hate The Who.  ::exitstageleft::
I saw The Wall several times in various states of mind IYKWIMAITYD. I enjoyed it least while sober. But that's not really a musical.
Walked out of RHPS. Didn't like anything about it.
Loved Heavy Metal. But that's not really a musical either.

When I think musical, I think of everybody bursting into song and dance for no reason, and everyone automagically knowing the words and dance steps. I always had a problem with that. Then I saw Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe in Les Miserables, and loved it. So the genre as a whole isn't so poisoned in my mind anymore. And I really loved Sound of Music. Beautiful film.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #734 on: June 05, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
Tommy - hated it.
The Who - hated them.
The Wall - hated it.
RHPS - hated it.

Hmmmm, I'm noticing a trend....

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #735 on: June 05, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »
When I think musical, I think of everybody bursting into song and dance for no reason, and everyone automagically knowing the words and dance steps. I always had a problem with that. .

Just think to yourself  "Its just a show, I should really just relax..."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #736 on: June 05, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »
I'm with IDP.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #737 on: June 06, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
I'm with IDP.

IN what way?  Not that I don't understand it - I was the same way as a kid - It bothered me for those same reasons IDP gave. . It also bothered me that I had inherited the musical gene and enjoyed them anyway (and now my son as well) - but in the end its just a show. If you are entertained, it worked. We have a local dinner theater here and my kids really enjoy going. So  much that we have season tickets now..

As for the list, yeah that is dead on.. The Wall and Heavy Metal aren't traditional musicals- they are more like Music Videos. I personally like The Wall. But that is  probably because I like Pink Floyd.  And I still don't listen to Dark Side of the Moon anymore without also putting on Wizard of Oz. (I find it an oddly relaxing and enjoyable experience)

Tommy is really awful, and really as much as I like cult stuff, I never liked RHPS either.. if you go to the midnight show the AUDIENCE is fun,  the but film without the audience antics, its just perverted and painful.

I also highly recommend "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog"  - at 40 minutes I discovered its the "right length" for a musical.  I enjoy it more for that reason I think.. (of course Sound of Music its not..)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #738 on: June 06, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
And just to muddy-up the waters even more..

I disliked "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a similar way to the way that I disliked Rocky Horror (squirm-inducing camp), but I actually enjoy "Across the Universe"

::whatgives::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #739 on: June 27, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
Steins;Gate.

Update: Finished it. Totally lives up to expectations, and it gives me a potential new "fun" project for the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncqDI6mUXd4

Main Character is a bit like Dr Horrible, and its really a nice blend of comedy and drama. 
So don't be a one banana cautious carl, use the whole bunch and buy the series. Now.

Hulu Plus splashed my Roku with a 2 month free trial.  I came back here to get the show name and there is it.  I think I'll check it out.  It's been quite a while since I've watched an anime.