Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229369 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »
  Falling skys back on the air as of last sunday. I get to watch tonight. for those who care it's back!!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »
I watch Falling Skies, too, John.

I thought the season premier was so-so.

Hal is a real dick and I hope they kill him off soon.

BTW, do you watch Last Ship?
I like that one

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #742 on: June 30, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
I've been watching both of these...

It seems FS is struggling a bit to write an ending.

And with TLS they are midstream and it perhaps has a little more interest to me. 

At least it fills an otherwise bland Sunday evening...after some episodes though I think I might have enjoyed reading something instead...these last two were just...OK.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #743 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
It seems TLS is transitioning.
They have the cure but many are trying to get it for control

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »
I probably see more kid movies than most here. I like all kinds of entertainment, and that includes quality G-rated entertainment. When a kid movie entertains me, I'm not too embarrassed to pass it along if I think people will enjoy it even without kids. That's why I shared "The Lego Movie" and "Paddington". And it's why I'm now sharing "Inside Out."

"Inside Out" is very cleverly conceived. It's the CGI story of a little girl coming to grips with some inevitable disappointments of growing up, as expressed from the perspective of animated characters living inside her mind: "Joy", "Sadness", "Fear", "Disgust", and "Anger", with a guest appearance by her recently forgotten imaginary friend, "Bing Bong".

The emotion characters are in charge of processing and categorizing the girl's long-term memories. Up until she experiences her life-changing disappointment, "Joy" is in charge, and strives to turn every experience into a joyful memory. This symbolizes the innocence of childhood, and a parent's desire to preserve it.

But after the disappointment, the emotions are thrown into chaos. "Joy" is no longer able to direct events inside the girl's head, and must learn to cope with the reality that as the girl grows up, the other emotions become necessary in order to cope with life. In the end, "Joy" even learns that sometimes the pathway to joy must lead through "Sadness".

I don't do it too much justice here. I find it hard to articulate the scope of how this was all depicted. But I loved it. I'd definitely see it again, with or without the little one.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
I've seen a depiction of a bit of the movie as a tie-in to some product (which I failed to note) and it does look interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing it as well.

I loved "Up" enough to buy it on DVD.  Despite Ed Asner.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
I loved "Up" enough to buy it on DVD.  Despite Ed Asner

My daughter (20 yo) and I plan to grab this, too.
We had it on DVR until I fired Direct

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »
I loved "Up" enough to buy it on DVD.  Despite Ed Asner.

Absolutely loved that movie. Such a beautiful message. I never knew it was Ed Asner until after it was over, so it wasn't spoilt the first time through.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #748 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »
Older movie, 1987,  y'all may want to look into:  Batteries Not Included.  Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn and a couple other folks ye may recognize.  Not animated.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092494/?ref_=nv_sr_1
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #749 on: July 01, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
Older movie, 1987,  y'all may want to look into:  Batteries Not Included.  Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn and a couple other folks ye may recognize.  Not animated.

Gosh, I remember overlooking that one a hundred times at the Blockbuster back in the day! I'll have to check it out.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #750 on: July 01, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
I watch Falling Skies, too, John.

I thought the season premier was so-so.

Hal is a real dick and I hope they kill him off soon.

BTW, do you watch Last Ship?
I like that one

Yes I do and I have to say that them using the city I live in as part of the story was a bit of a laugh(Port Saint Lucie)
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »

Love that movie.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »

Love that movie.

I do too. If you want to watch something that will tickle your empathy-bone and not insult your intelligence, morality, or sensibilities give this one a shot. I think that it has aged well and has a timeless message.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #753 on: July 10, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »
Weisshaupt, for some reason my wife is already getting tired of me going, "too to roooooo."   ::whatgives::

Japanese men do have some weird caricatures of women, don't they.  Issues.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #754 on: July 10, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
Weisshaupt, for some reason my wife is already getting tired of me going, "too to roooooo."   ::whatgives::

Japanese men do have some weird caricatures of women, don't they.  Issues.

Well, the whole Japanese  culture is in crisis so I guess we should be surprised when that Crisis shows up in their art. 
After all, if you look at the muck coming out of Hollywood and our "artists"   I think you can see our Crisis as plain as day as well.

The women in Manga and Anime I think represent what Japanese "men" find attractive.  So, yeah, "issues" - issues brought on by their economic structure being 10-15 years ahead of ours on the curve, and a population educated well enough to read the writing on the wall.  Success is not on option for this generation. They cannot support a family in the traditional way, they cannot do honor to their ancestors, and so I think many just say "f**k it"--  and the women say it too - finding no attractive ( strong, confident successful)  men to date.

Maybe our "electronic wasting disease" is a sign of the same thing here. These games and devices  and art are fantasy worlds to allow our children escape from reality - to a world where success comes quick and it  comes easy. Real life looks a lot less fun in comparison. (The invention of the Holodeck will mean the end of the human race..)

Steins;Gate  ( and pretty much all anime) has too much "fan service" for my taste- and it probably what turns most people off of anime.. the Harem (a guy with lots of pretty girls around- usually enamored with him) and the gratuitous tendency for the camera to focus on cleavage and bottoms. But  I suspect most male controlled "cameras" focus on the same things in real life.. so its at least honest if  annoying. 

There also seems to be a disturbing trend toward "liking your sister"  - in anime its always a non-blood relative, but given how they really do dress girls in Sailor Moon costumes in Japan as school uniforms - there just has to be an unhealthy current of pedophilia in that country that I admit I do not fully understand the causes of.

But that is the downside.  I appreciate that in Japanese Anime  the women are portrayed so as to be  admired for both their beauty and for  their strengths. The  Harem principle is usually used to showcase this .. all of the women in a Harem will be pretty, so the story will tend to revolve around the other attributes that make them desirable (intelligence, attitude, combat skills, and so on) -so the camera focus will usually fall on their, umm, physical attributes, but the story focus will be about who they are and why they do what they do; The Strength of their convictions and beliefs, leadership skills, attitudes, and development of  practical skills- all while admitting ( sometimes way to obviously)  that these characters are female, and subject to typical and uniquely  female foibles. (Foibles that our stories, art and culture will deny exist. ) 

Fundamentally I think that is what my daughter is responding to ( and she has become an Anime fiend)  - she dislikes the fan service, (and like Mayuri) tends to simply pretend it doesn't exist.. but I think she is responding to the truth behind the caricatures - there is more depth of character to female characters in Anime because they will admit of (female) weaknesses..and how the characters cope with them - which is something American programing would simply dare not show..  This, when combined with the more complex and longer multi-episode  story lines - typically with some moral and principled underpinnings,  simply provides a better story and more drama than can be achieved from the immorality pushing, dry humping,   depravity exulting  American cesspit of program offerings.

Seriously - which is worse - Gratuitous shots of cleavage and buttocks because that is in reality what is attractive to men, or gratuitous storylines in which those attributes are freely offered to men, often in unsavory or questionable dealings that have nothing to do with marriage, love or respect? Where promiscuity and depravity  is celebrated? Where people of principle and character are torn down and made to look like fools to serve the storyline?

But back to Steins;Gate..

Mayuri's "too to roooooo." really annoyed me at first. By the end I just found it adorable and I started to really like the character, and found  her contrast with Kurisu ( the American)  very interesting.

Mayuri accepts lewd comments in stride as compliments (when she acknowledges them at all; being too "innocent" to notice the double entendre in most cases - or she just accepts the reality - Men are what they are.. no use in getting upset over it, right?)  while Kurisu encourages such actions because she reacts (as a feminist would - afraid to not be taken seriously because she is pretty)  - Its  a Stereotypical portrayal and somewhat exaggerated  caricature of each personality type, but then I have also met both of these women in real life.. so yeah.  (is it possible for a woman to be too sweet and happy all of the time? -  yes,  yes it is)

I guess the same even goes for Faris.. I have meet her in real life too - without the cat costume of course...

I suspect that Japanese women are strong only to the point that they have been "westernized"  - Anime characters seldom look Japanese,  except occasionally in dress, and I suspect traditional Japanese women are often seen my the men there as too docile..and there has always been a conflict between the old culture and the new Western ideas they strive to adopt... so we some of that play out as well ...  Our problem is we went too far--in  the United States - Women have to  be Strong like men are strong.. In Anime they are strong like women are strong ( as it should be)

So yeah, issues all around, but I know which one I prefer.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #755 on: July 11, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Yes That is the reason !

The video at the link explains why I feel CGI is over used and non-engaging in modern films.  I just couldn't articulate it.
Its not real because its too pretty and our brains realize its too pretty and therefore don't suspend disbelief and allow us to get emotionally involved in the story.

I was very excited to see Smog the Dragon on screen, but when he was there we was simply not engaging for me..

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #756 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
So we just watched Steins;Gate The movie.  Turns out my daughter totally picked up on everything I was saying above.  In the movie Okabai says something along the lines of "Mayuri is more mature than Kirisu"  and when asked how that could be my daughter said "Oh Daru, you are so Naughty" She implicitly knew that not letting herself get flustered or upset was the way to win. Yea anime!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #757 on: August 11, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »
Well, parents typically want their children to learn lessons easier than they learned them, the vehicle of delivery not as important as the delivery itself...I'd say you have a good daughter to work with, but I think that has been obvious all along.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #758 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/09/22/this-new-muppet-show-is-going-to-be-a-train-wreck-isnt-it/

They were doing this years ago -- I sat down when my son was 3 to watch some Muppets special or another and Gonzo was making jokes about "Girls gone Wild"
Yep , it can be funny in a way. But stop. Please stop.  The Muppets are kids stuff, and they should stay kids stuff. But no - we will release a kids movie and then do this , because the waters aren't muddy enough.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #759 on: September 27, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Attack on Titan is out in the US this week. There are 3 theaters local who claim to be showing it for a limited run (1-3 nights)  and one of them is this one

http://www.harkinstheatres.com/onlyAtHarkins.aspx

I didn't know these guys existed.. they show first run movies and classics, and offer day care for $6 a kid while you watch your movie.

Here is the schedule:
http://www.harkinstheatres.com/movies.aspx

Just thought it was cool that someone was offering something a bit different... they have a few in other Southwest States as well.
Daughter is very excited, but even with opening night just two days away I was able to get tickets, so its obviously a small niche audience around here.