Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229293 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #780 on: December 19, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »
I saw it Thursday night, the pre-premiere, and that was definitely a serious Star Wars crowd (as expected).  The second viewing was among more of a general movie-going audience.

I am not a fan of people in general, but with certain esoteric interests it's cool to be among those who "get it" when it comes to that mutual interest.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #781 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »

You must like people (in general) more than I.   ::hysterical::

You probably say that because, like me, there are very few groups in which you can belong. Just as I enjoyed that 800 person crowd cheering at the Cooper when I was 7,  I enjoyed this crowd as they clapped as Han Solo appeared,  when the best jokes were made,  and so on. Its nice to occasionally be in  a crowd of people of like mind ( when that like mind isn't hell bent on hurting someone..)

That...and no matter what, simple math is at play...the more people I encounter the higher the chance of running into a Prog...and their sub-groups of minions is legion.

PS-I like that pic you put in the Entertainment thread, there are many I would cross an icy river to slay...but a lot more don't require as much effort.
 :D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #782 on: December 20, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/there-i-said-it-the-new-star-wars-stinks/?cat_orig=diversions
I read this review today without seeing the damn movie and he described it from a Star Wars fan pov so I'm going with it. I'll see it when it comes out on Netflix in a few months minus the 3D effects so oh no, I'll miss that but I've seen this stuff before so whatever.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Episode VII) is an entertaining and exciting film, unusually funny for the franchise, with a few gorgeous scenes and the special effects spectacle we’ve come to expect from the “Star Wars” universe. Its frequent homages to the past six movies and familiar characters popping up around every corner in surprising ways are sure to delight “Star Wars” fans everywhere.

But I’m going to declare what 95 percent of “Star Wars” fans lauding this movie seem to be missing: This isn’t a great film. In fact, it’s not even a good one.

Before I explain why, this caveat: I’m actually a “Star Wars” fan! The first film (Episode IV), despite some poor acting and a mediocre script, is still one of the greatest films in Hollywood history. Its rich, fantasy world, revolutionary visual and audio special effects, epic sweep and iconic score overcame all its flaws to truly redefine “blockbuster” and impact the culture of a whole generation like almost no film before it. It belongs with “The Wizard of Oz” and “It’s a Wonderful Life” on the list of most re-watchable movies ever made.

None of those things can be said of “The Force Awakens” (except for the “mediocre script” part – that’s more true than ever).

The primary protagonist of the film, to be fair, is one of the movie’s stronger points. Actress Daisy Ridley shows both action and acting chops as a charismatic and watchable Rey, an orphan girl on a desert planet who shows not only unusual talent at mechanics and piloting, but also a startling natural affinity for using “the force” (ala Anakin Skywalker). She’s engaging enough to carry the film, but major unanswered questions – Who was her family/support system that enabled her to survive on this planet? Why is she waiting for someone? What’s her story? – leave her character tragically underdeveloped.

Yet she’s the most developed character in the whole movie!

The secondary protagonist, Finn, is a storm trooper who has a sudden pang of conscience and ditches “The First Order” white armor for a life of heroism. But alas, this redemption happens out of thin air, without any idea what leads to his conversion or why he’s suddenly become a good guy. We’re told (not shown – the film does suffer from a lot of telling us instead of showing us) Finn was taken from his parents as a child and trained and brainwashed for years to be a mindless, obedient storm trooper – and yet, poof!, he’s now a good guy defined by a code of “doing what’s right,” without any internal conflict over completely abandoning a lifetime of moral training for his angelic new one.

Worse still is the film’s villain, Kylo Ren, an emo version of Darth Vader, who we’re told (again, not shown) really, really hates his dad. But we aren’t told why. Or what happened. Or why he turned to the dark side. Or anything, really, about his past or his motivation or what makes him an interesting character. Or anything about the re-emergence of the Sith Lords, or anything about where this evil came from. He’s just bad, and mad at dad, and deal with it, a cardboard character used just to advance the plot.

But what plot?

This could have been a film about Rey’s coming of age and discovering her place in the battle between good and evil (ala Luke Skywalker in Episode IV), but it doesn’t spend enough time and detail on that storyline to make it the centerpiece. It could have been a film about the redemption of former storm trooper Finn, but that magically happens in a snap and is never dealt with again. It could have been about the rise of the new Sith lords, but it’s not. It could have been about the return of Han Solo and Princess Leia’s prodigal son, but it’s not. It could have been about reconciling Solo and Leia’s estranged relationship, but it’s not. It could have even been about finding the missing Luke Skywalker, but in one of the most blatant and textbook examples of a bad filmmaking technique called Deus ex machina, even that gets magically and inexplicably solved in a snap.

Instead, “The Force Awakens” is about the rebels blowing up another Death Star (which at least two of the previous movies have already done) … and that’s it.

In short – we have characters we really know nothing about, a villain we aren’t allowed to care about, doing stuff for no apparent reason in order to rehash a plot we’ve already seen twice. And call me cynical if they don’t just throw in the shiny baubles of the original actors from the first three films to distract “Star Wars” fans from how bad this new movie really is.

As for worldview, the absence of meaningful character development or significant plot leaves me nothing to comment upon but all the “force” gobbledygook, how it “moves through and surrounds every living thing,” how it’s “light and dark” and needs to be “balanced” – a lot of New Agey, quasi-Taoist blech. The whole “force” thing has been a part of the “Star Wars” universe from the beginning, sometimes more innocent, at other times more paralleled to Christianity, at other times more clearly pagan. This film is more pagan in its depiction.

In the final summary, for “Star Wars” geeks (and I am one), there’s lots to geek out about in “The Force Awakens.” My fellow geeks will naturally enjoy it. But I’m not just a “Star Wars” geek; I’m a story geek. And “The Force Awakens” is not a good story; it’s a prolonged homage to a story and a bridge to the next story. I just hope when Episode VIII comes out, the filmmakers will finally tell (or better yet, show) us the story.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/there-i-said-it-the-new-star-wars-stinks/#qBm6smLm54vQMZgi.99
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #783 on: December 21, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »
I read this review today without seeing the damn movie and he described it from a Star Wars fan pov so I'm going with it.

Spoilers ahead - but if you read the review already its not my fault.

I see the reviewers points,  but not knowing the characters full story gives you a mystery that pulls you in. How many good books lay out everything about every character on the first page they are introduced? If he is a "story telling geek", he should know that some amount of mystery pertaining to character and motivation is a good thing.  I am not sure that this reviewer knows what good storytelling is.

Maybe is because they cleverly lowered my expectations with the pre-quels, but by  the end of this film I found my self liking these characters, finding them interesting and ready to hear more. Yes there are certainly open ends with the new characters - even when we are told (instead of shown)  the "short versions" of their back stories,  it doesn't explain the motivations - the how and why, and I don't know why he thinks a "good story" has to start with that  - everything neat and in chronological order.

Yes,  I was disappointed they felt they had to blow up another Death Star. (After building  two and being defeated where did these New guys get the money and time to build yet another even more awesome death star?!?.. though the effect was pretty cool)  That was in fact my big disappointment with the film was that they went there instead of finding some other way to encounter the enemy. .  The other homage and rhyming was often appropriate and drew me in more.

"This could have been a film about Rey’s coming of age and discovering her place in the battle between good and evil (ala Luke Skywalker in Episode IV), but it doesn’t spend enough time and detail on that storyline to make it the centerpiece. It could have been a film about the redemption of former storm trooper Finn, but that magically happens in a snap and is never dealt with again. It could have been about the rise of the new Sith lords, but it’s not. It could have been about the return of Han Solo and Princess Leia’s prodigal son, but it’s not. It could have been about reconciling Solo and Leia’s estranged relationship, but it’s not. It could have even been about finding the missing Luke Skywalker, but in one of the most blatant and textbook examples of a bad filmmaking technique called Deus ex machina, even that gets magically and inexplicably solved in a snap."

But it was about ALL of those things. It just doesn't resolve them in a neat gift wrapped box with a bow on it. Yes, we have  a bit of Deus ex machina because R2D2 was sulking. Or was he? Maybe Luke just told him to stay quiet until he was needed. Who knows. THEY HAVEN"T TOLD US YET!
  No. Its not a self contained film. It ends on a cliff hanger. We already know there are AT LEAST two more coming. Luke didn't become a Jedi or "come of age" in the first film- he merely started the journey. Han didn't get fully over his selfishness in the first film.  Leia didn't get together with either of them. What happened to that Ben Dude when he just disappeared? Why is  this that Darth Vader dude such a dick, and what  happened between Vader and Luke's Father?  The Empire wasn't finished by any means.   But for some reason - with all of those questions left open, the original Star Wars  gets a pass from this guy. 

Its fine he didn't like it,and yeah, some of the homage to previous films may have been too much. But in my opinion the storytelling overcame those shortcomings. They gave me enough to want more, while proving their street cred that they "get it"
Yes I hope they tell more story in the next one, but yes there is a plot, and yes it borrows heavily from things you have seen before - but that doesn't mean there wasn't a plot. Told properly Star Wars is the Joseph Campbell Mono myth- WE ALL KNOW THE PLOT. Its the some one that has been in use for LITERALLY thousands of years.  If the plot seems tired and old, that is part of the reason why.

And no, the characters that aren't fully developed because they are involved in a 3 movie arch.. get a grip folks.

Its not Episode IV.  Its also not Episodes I-III  - Its a good effort with a lot to like, and yes, it was, in my opinion, good storytelling. Maybe not great. But good. Yes it could have been better. Return of the Jedi could have been better too.  It wasn't a prequel grade POS, and if you are a fan of the original you will probably like this one.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:12:59 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #784 on: December 21, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Frankly, I was underwhelmed. Just watch the first Star Wars and you've seen this one, but with better special effects and a bigger Death Star. I mean, could you have tweaked the scrip a bit? Did you have to dust off an old script with different characters? Maybe this will be like the Hunger games or Divergent, where I thought the first ones were weak but the sequels were better.

The whole finding the Millinium Falcon, captured by a ship which happened to house Solo, his cargo and the mercs who happen to show up.  The snitch, with the Jabba the Hut wanna be......Light saber kept in a box downstairs.....Sorry, the whole thing was corny.

I'll say this....The sequels will be better, trust me, no way it could be worse.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #785 on: December 21, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
I'll say this....The sequels will be better, trust me, no way it could be worse.

Jar Jar Binks could be the villian.
See I made it worse. Don't play that game with me. My kids insist we play it all of the time and I always win.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/221975/

THE FORCE AWAKENS: Saw the new Star Wars movie yesterday afternoon in San Jose; the theater was virtually packed; standing a few people behind us in line was a paunchy fellow in Han Solo’s red-striped pants and collarless pullover from the Empire Strikes Back; another gentleman wore a “HAN SHOT FIRST!” T-shirt. A woman in a wheelchair was sporting Princess Leia bun-shaped earmuffs. As in 1999, everyone cheered when the Star Wars logo appeared and John Williams’ triumphant score roared back to life. Unlike 1999’s The Phantom Menace and the rest of the prequels, the crowd applauded at key moments throughout the movie: the surprise first appearance of the Millennium Falcon; the first appearance of its best-known pilot and navigator; the first appearance of everyone’s favorite pair of robotic comedic relief, and the first appearance of Princess, err, General Leia.

Beyond that, no spoilers; I’m pretty sure everything I just mentioned can be seen in the film’s trailers. As someone tweeted on Friday, “This No-Star-Wars-Spoilers thing is the closest I’ve seen Americans work together since 9/11.” I’m not sure when the expiration date expires for that consensus, but for now, if you’d like more detailed — and equally spoiler-free reviews, check out Kyle Smith in the New York Post, John Nolte at Big Hollywood, C.T. Rex at Hot Air, and “Yid With Lid’s” Jeff Dunetz.

If there’s a consensus they share, it’s this, as Nolte wrote:

In ways big and small, TFA’s main story is shockingly similar to “A New Hope,” which is actually a distraction as you compare the two.

Overall, I walked away with the sense that Abrams is using TFA to cleanse the franchise’s palate. Disney wants to pop one of these out every year until the end of time, and TFA feels like an apology, a repentance for the sins of creator George Lucas. Abrams and Disney are saying, “We hear you. We’ve fixed it. Let’s kiss and make up so we can hold hands and walk off into a marvelous future together.”

Which makes the achievement of 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back all the more rarefied — the only Star Wars sequel that both unabashedly worked and didn’t crib major plot elements and story beats from the original 1977 movie.

But unlike the clunky, cringe-inducing (“Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo!”) prequels, The Force Awakens is a fun, enjoyable ride, and a seamless merging of physical sets and atmospheric special effects. And atmosphere seems to be the right word — unlike the other movies, several of the major spacecraft battles were fought in planetary atmospheres, adding, particularly in the climactic shootout, the weather enveloping the ships. It was as they were returning to the original source material for the Death Star trench scenes, WWII aerial dog-fighting movies such as 633 Squadron and The Dam Busters.

Emphasis Mine.

Corny? You did see the original Star Wars ... right? It has its moments as well
Yes, I wish that hadn't done so much of a rehash. But - apology accepted. I am willing to see what else they can do.
No I wasn't overwhelmed either. But I wasn't underwhelmed and at this point, that is a step up.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #786 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »
From what I've read (and I have read the entire plot) it sounds like they just re-wrote the first movie to incorporate new, young actors. 

/yawn

They could have movieized (and condensed) the time timeline of the extended universe, made something great, and then passed it off to a new generation.  Instead we have something typically lightweight of JJ Abrams, all flash and no substance.

I have yet to see a JJ Abrams "epic" and remembered what the movie was about, a month after the fact.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #787 on: December 22, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »
From what I've read (and I have read the entire plot) it sounds like they just re-wrote the first movie to incorporate new, young actors. 

/yawn

They could have movieized (and condensed) the time timeline of the extended universe, made something great, and then passed it off to a new generation.  Instead we have something typically lightweight of JJ Abrams, all flash and no substance.

I have yet to see a JJ Abrams "epic" and remembered what the movie was about, a month after the fact.

At least his Star Trek reboots had a story with characters a little deeper than a waffer.  But that universe is more tightly defined than the hodge-podge realm created by Lucas...the Lucas universe is all about flash and suspending criticism and just enjoying the ride.  I can enjoy a ride, but I will unleash a flurry of questions later.  At this point I guess I am more interested in seeing what the hubbub is about more than anything.  I'll have to see if I can slink in over the holidays.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #788 on: December 22, 2015, 08:39:50 AM »
We watched Interstellar, with Matthew McConaughey, last night.  Interesting, suspenseful, a little far-fetched.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #789 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
Interstellar was a little far-fetched but a pretty good movie.
I liked it, too

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #790 on: December 22, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
Perfect example.  I can remember what Interstellar was about.  Those two Star Trek movies?  Nope.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #791 on: December 22, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »
We watched Interstellar, with Matthew McConaughey, last night.  Interesting, suspenseful, a little far-fetched.

Loved that movie. Definitely far fetched, but also extremely intellectually and emotionally engaging.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #792 on: December 22, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »

Loved that movie. Definitely far fetched, but also extremely intellectually and emotionally engaging.

We are talking about the film where black holes lead to nooks behind bookcases? Watched it recently but I just didn't get it. Like someone was trying to remake 2001/2010 and adding in a bit of Rama for good measure. It was interesting and engaging (emotionally and intellectually)  but I can't say I liked it.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #793 on: December 23, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »

Jar Jar Binks could be the villian.
See I made it worse. Don't play that game with me. My kids insist we play it all of the time and I always win.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/221975/

THE FORCE AWAKENS: Saw the new Star Wars movie yesterday afternoon in San Jose; the theater was virtually packed; standing a few people behind us in line was a paunchy fellow in Han Solo’s red-striped pants and collarless pullover from the Empire Strikes Back; another gentleman wore a “HAN SHOT FIRST!” T-shirt. A woman in a wheelchair was sporting Princess Leia bun-shaped earmuffs. As in 1999, everyone cheered when the Star Wars logo appeared and John Williams’ triumphant score roared back to life. Unlike 1999’s The Phantom Menace and the rest of the prequels, the crowd applauded at key moments throughout the movie: the surprise first appearance of the Millennium Falcon; the first appearance of its best-known pilot and navigator; the first appearance of everyone’s favorite pair of robotic comedic relief, and the first appearance of Princess, err, General Leia.

Beyond that, no spoilers; I’m pretty sure everything I just mentioned can be seen in the film’s trailers. As someone tweeted on Friday, “This No-Star-Wars-Spoilers thing is the closest I’ve seen Americans work together since 9/11.” I’m not sure when the expiration date expires for that consensus, but for now, if you’d like more detailed — and equally spoiler-free reviews, check out Kyle Smith in the New York Post, John Nolte at Big Hollywood, C.T. Rex at Hot Air, and “Yid With Lid’s” Jeff Dunetz.

If there’s a consensus they share, it’s this, as Nolte wrote:

In ways big and small, TFA’s main story is shockingly similar to “A New Hope,” which is actually a distraction as you compare the two.

Overall, I walked away with the sense that Abrams is using TFA to cleanse the franchise’s palate. Disney wants to pop one of these out every year until the end of time, and TFA feels like an apology, a repentance for the sins of creator George Lucas. Abrams and Disney are saying, “We hear you. We’ve fixed it. Let’s kiss and make up so we can hold hands and walk off into a marvelous future together.”

Which makes the achievement of 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back all the more rarefied — the only Star Wars sequel that both unabashedly worked and didn’t crib major plot elements and story beats from the original 1977 movie.

But unlike the clunky, cringe-inducing (“Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo!”) prequels, The Force Awakens is a fun, enjoyable ride, and a seamless merging of physical sets and atmospheric special effects. And atmosphere seems to be the right word — unlike the other movies, several of the major spacecraft battles were fought in planetary atmospheres, adding, particularly in the climactic shootout, the weather enveloping the ships. It was as they were returning to the original source material for the Death Star trench scenes, WWII aerial dog-fighting movies such as 633 Squadron and The Dam Busters.

Emphasis Mine.

Corny? You did see the original Star Wars ... right? It has its moments as well
Yes, I wish that hadn't done so much of a rehash. But - apology accepted. I am willing to see what else they can do.
No I wasn't overwhelmed either. But I wasn't underwhelmed and at this point, that is a step up.

I'm sure I'll watch the sequels....But when you advertise to me the FORCE has awakened and you give me the old script, literally to a tee, with new players and a bigger death star...it underwhelmed me.

And the map scene.....are you kidding me? One section of the map missing and they couldn't connect the dots???? Why didn't they use the awakened force to deduct...."hey, the line stops here...but picks up there.....I bet I know where he is"....And who in the theater didn't figure out ( except for the actors) that the old r2d2 had the last "piece" of the puzzle.

I'm not sure how to deduct TFA cleanses the palate. It was like opening the fridge to leftovers.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #794 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
I'm sure I'll watch the sequels....But when you advertise to me the FORCE has awakened and you give me the old script, literally to a tee, with new players and a bigger death star...it underwhelmed me.

It was too similar - I agree. But there were enough variations on the theme it  wasn't enough to kill it for me

And the map scene.....are you kidding me? One section of the map missing and they couldn't connect the dots???? Why didn't they use the awakened force to deduct...."hey, the line stops here...but picks up there.....I bet I know where he is"....And who in the theater didn't figure out ( except for the actors) that the old r2d2 had the last "piece" of the puzzle.

My recollection was that the dotted line "ended" in that missing sector, but its pretty immaterial-- the plot device is there is a missing bit of information they need to track him down.  The empire already add all of the map but that segment. It wouldn't have changed the drama or the story a whole lot if R2D2 had volunteered the info at the outset of the film.. or if both sides has the whole map except of the missing bit. And Ray was already having dreams of the Island Skywalker  was on - so yes the force was already playing a role there. What is more annoying to me is that Ray gains better control of the force in 10 minutes alone than Luke achieved after 3 movies with a former Jedi training him

I am not saying there aren't problems and annoyances,  but the OLD films had those (Ewoks. Yuck. )  Its just not something you can take too seriously. I am just glad I was able to enjoy the ride. But then going in my expectations were low.  Or as Big Bang would have it " I enjoyed that more than I expected"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #795 on: December 24, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
http://occupythefarmfilm.com/

Oh yeah.  Watch the Berkley Professors confront the little libtard monsters they created as they fight over the use of 12 acres of land.
Watch with glee  as "more government" shows up  to drive the more govt voting hippies off of the lot.
Watch as the hippies make the "food desert" worse by denying that community a Whole Foods market!

And finally victory! they get 1.2 Acres to farm as a "community" because they successfully made enough of a nuisance of themselves that no one wanted to deal with their selfish narcissism anymore.

Can't live with em, can't shoot them. At least not yet.

Oh how I love looking into these things after they are produced...

http://occupythefarm.org/be-prepared-to-mobilize-to-save-the-gill-tract/

"Dear Farmrades!

We have some unfortunate news.  Sprouts Supermarket—yes, that corporate chain store that’s just itching to pave over a historic farm land—filed for their building permit with the City of Albany on September 24th.  Does this mean the fight is over?  Hell No!  Please be on the lookout for calls to mobilize in order to save Gill Tract.

We need your support more than ever!!  With people power on our side, we know that we can defeat corporate and privatized interests.  Let’s take a stand for a truly local and just food system for the East Bay!"

We got what we wanted because we made ourselves such a pain in the ass, and now you will give us more or we will do it again!

And what a surprise -  one of the current leaders of the farm lives off of others and is - of course - a Student at UC Berkley

https://www.gofundme.com/GillTract

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:08:54 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #796 on: December 26, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
I saw Episode 7 this morning with my nephew and I can find myself agreeing or sympathizing with the reviews above. I blurted a muffled "WTF?!" seconds in when the Long time ago scroll stated Luke Skywalker is missing. Missing? So we go from young Jedi to bleep it I'm gone to decades later and Han & Leia are estranged and their kid is a low self esteem pouty dweeb with more dark energy than brains, the Force can create fast-evolving Jedi's (and Sith's too?), and the universe hasn't repaired itself in a societal or economic sense and resembles a post-Obama dystopia.  It seems like a lot was skipped over, some of which may be explained in the next episode but I suspect much cannot be because of the sheer volume left unexplained. In the originals I could connect with most of the characters, less so in the prequels and in this one the young girl is about it.  I liked her sick piloting skill, might be the highlight of the film. The Ren guy seems like a joke to me and the back story on the First Order and who this Supreme clown is not being explained is a huge mistake. I didn't hate it nor do I love it, while perhaps underwhelmed might be considered harsh or unfair I can understand that reaction. At least no more annoying cabage patch critters, if a new robot is all there is I can take that over annoying critters any day.  My biggest beef is how so much less appears to be in this galaxy and sure maybe lots of warring will do that, but we haven't a clue to any actual why, how or when.  It seems part reboot, part new and insufficiently linked.  What happens next? Old man Luke becomes the new Yoda? Gets translated like Obi Wan? Either Don is right and the next two are better, or they are the same muddle, or they get worse. The final grade on this episode won't be etched until what is seen next is weighed, and right now I am not sure of the direction they will go.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #797 on: December 26, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
Well, that seals it for me, I'll wait until it's on Netflix next year and watch the hoopla then.
If the Emperor was the Empire, than the thing should have folded like a wet paper bag with a restoration of the Republic or at the very least a struggle between good and evil to rebuild and lead.

I never could get my mind around those "converters" that seem to run everything and yet there seems to be no real energy sources. Probably should have slapped a quirky name on it like "Mr. Converter". I suppose you could have stuffed a Ewoks in the tank and off you go. The effing universe is so much like fairies and unicorns

I was always left in a state of astonishment that the basis for an entire movie is kept secret very much like our entire hydrocarbon based economy seems to be lost to progtards. All we're left with is a hokey pseudo religion that seems to weed out the normals from those that can manipulate it.

The clues for this movie should have been in the book Lucas wrote but since I never wasted my time reading it...the hell with it. Been a Star Trek guy anyway, enjoy the reboot thus far. I thoroughly hated the reboot of BSG and I'm not holding my breath for this Episode VII to pan out into VIII and IX.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed the movie because you're not getting that time back. ::kissface::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #798 on: January 01, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »
Got to see TFA Wednesday night.

While entertaining and fun, it didn't have the excitement for me of others.

Because it doesn't have to make sense, some things didn't.

The Force just comes on for the chick and she's almost fully developed in skills with the persuasive voice, light saber skills and the strength to resist the guy who had years of training on the Dark Side.

It was an almost identical story to the original one.

Carrie Fisher didn't age real well, did she?

One thing I could never figure out.
With all the high-tech weaponry, why do they still fight with swords?

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #799 on: January 01, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
Enjoying these during the combined holiday downtime:

and re-watched this,last night:
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.