Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229490 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
It's not a movie, but my wife and I are about three episodes away from finishing a full watch-through of "The Sopranos" for the first time. Good TV. And it's the earliest example I can think of, being one of the first great TV shows of this modern era we've discussed - when TV programming content began to compete with feature films in the quality of writing, casting, budget, etc. Through 6 seasons, we haven't run across an episode that wasn't top-notch, the quality easily compared to an excellent feature film.

I think that for anything character-driven, TV has emerged as superior in every way to feature films. There's just no way a movie can flesh out a character like a TV show over the span of several seasons.

And I can't think of a better fictional example than Tony Soprano of Proverbs 26:11... "As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly." What a character. What a show full of characters!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I was more suggesting watching the British Theater Stream  than the Joss  version.
I also watch a lot of Anime and old series I missed (wandering my way trough Lost in Space now..after finsihing UFO and Space 1999 -- probably do Time Tunnel next. ) .

Joss' movie may be good. It may not. But hey its Shakespeare. As long as we don't have him adding a gay couple, I think we will be fine.

I think Joss is far more interested in telling a good story, and really doesn't care about politics much beyond saying what he needs to say to be successful in Hollywood and thereby securing his continuing ability to tell good stories.  And after Firefly and even Avengers, he got lots of 'splaining to do  to the Hollywood establishment I suspect. Gotta establish his street cred.
Or he is a full die hard liberal, but - like most of them, is work is compartmentalized away from his emotional politicking, and he is even aware of when they conflict.

I can't say I provide a 100%  boycott of the Holloywood leftists I dislike,  but the cable is off, I  very rarely see movies in the theater, or even buy them anymore.  I am sure they all get some small share of the $20 a month I spend on Hulu and Netflix ( and netflix as a company has the same crappy politics, but they have A series of Unfortunate Events,  Stranger Things ( which has our stupid Sheriff lefty) ,  House and soon, MST3k. so they get my $10 for that reason only. And when I no longer need those things, and if nothing replaces them, I am outta there.. And while I will continue to watch the good, non preachy shows,  You can bet I won't be following the liberal talent to other endeavors because I like them. In all, the money I used to spend on Hollywood and its cesspool has been dramatically reduced. My Children watch mostly youtube programs- and I think Hollywood, like traditional music and print publishing, is on a downward spiral they will neither adjust to or endure.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #863 on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
It was so much more enjoyable with Joel Hodgson...for me it was like the Beatles after Yoko once he left...Mike Nelson was OK but it was so much better with Joel, his snarky Minnesotan affectations and all...and seeing it on the old Ch.23 the first time I was like "What the heck is this?" but once you start watching and hearing the clever quips and exaggerated mouthed sound effects...I was hooked!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #864 on: March 17, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
It was so much more enjoyable with Joel Hodgson...for me it was like the Beatles after Yoko once he left...Mike Nelson was OK but it was so much better with Joel, his snarky Minnesotan affectations and all...and seeing it on the old Ch.23 the first time I was like "What the heck is this?" but once you start watching and hearing the clever quips and exaggerated mouthed sound effects...I was hooked!

Joel is there,  3rd over from  the right ( if you Include Tom Servo) - He is the one who brought this back to life.  I agree Mike Nelson was never as good as Joel, and te sow declined ( but was still funny) after Joel left....but now Joel is back and  we get to see if New guy can be better.  ( Probably not)
And I like Feliica Day ( The Guild, Dr. Horrible )  I have high hopes

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #865 on: March 17, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
Yeah Joel helped bring this back, wish he was the front man again...guess they want somebody younger...shame.  And yeah, I like Felicia, she's got spunk.

But I am resigned to the fact that it will never be as good when it was new...

(sigh)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #866 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
Okay folks,

Remember when I told you to go watch  the Anime of Voices from a Distant Star and got on this big kick about a guy you never heard of (Makoto Shinkai) and said he was going to be the next studio Ghibli? -- well his recent movie has been climbing the (all time best)  Anime lists - and it currently at #1 on most of them, so I knew he was doing well... but I didn't know how well till yesterday.  Funimation told me the movie was going to be playing in American theaters , so I was ready for the hour long drive to town to see the thing on its one day engagement right?   Wrong. Its getting a full blown American release ( in dubbed and subtitled versions)  - Because it is now the highest globally grossing Japanese film ever.. and it hasn't opened in America yet . 

It didn't beat Spirited Away in Japan alone --yet, but if you where wondering what to go see... 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-anime-your-name-became-an-phenomenon-969255

Its got a long list of awards ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Name)

And it opens tomorrow.

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/yourname/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=032017-th-YourName&utm_content=Your+Name+Image

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4-URMnBOPU

Oh and don't forget MST3K starts the 14th..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct0Z2bQndM
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:34:27 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #867 on: April 07, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
The only upcoming movie I am anticipating is Alien: Covenant.  The promotional video and teaser trailers look good so far.  The first two Alien movies were great. The rest were pretty much trash. This one looks like it might get back to the disturbing sense of dread that made it so successful in the beginning.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #868 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »

'Man Down,' Starring Shia LaBeouf, Likely to End U.K. Run With Just 3 Tickets Sold | THR News

'Man Down' — starring Shia LaBeouf as a PTSD-suffering U.S. soldier returning home from Afghanistan — made headlines Tuesday after it was found have opened in the U.K. with just one solitary

Serves him right.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #869 on: April 07, 2017, 10:46:38 PM »
Just got back from "Your Name" - totally met expectations  My daughter's non-anime loving friend thought it was really good, so even if you aren't an Anime person, give it a try
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:03:47 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #870 on: April 12, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »
So My Name made 1.7 Million over the weekend even though it played in only 303 theaters nationwide.  So that means you are going to get at least another week to go watch it.

GO. WATCH.  IT.
I guarantee it is the best romantic, body switching, time travel story you have ever seen .   :o

Radwimps soundtrack Music is awesome too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Ze62AL9r0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSkFeMVNFs

I am going again.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #871 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
Every country, has a monster, they're afraid of , in their nation.

MST3K is back on Netflix, and they had the brains to not mess with anything. Its MST3k. With Will Wheaton, and Erin Gray, who obviously tagged along from the Guild.. . And no, the host isn't as good as Joel (deal with it)  , but EP1 was hilarious. My face  hurts from laughing.  They have a David Hasselhoff film in the line up I am looking forward to ( My Kids are watching Attack On Titan Season 2 , and this will be the follow up, since that little 20 minute episode isn't satisfying.)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:03:15 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #872 on: April 16, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Wonder if they're doing any DVD/Blueray releases for the new MST3K?

Anyway...looking forward to GOTG2 May 5th.

https://youtu.be/duGqrYw4usE

https://youtu.be/2cv2ueYnKjg

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #873 on: April 16, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
Every country, has a monster, they're afraid of , in their nation.

MST3K is back on Netflix, and they had the brains to not mess with anything. Its MST3k. With Will Wheaton, and Erin Gray, who obviously tagged along from the Guild.. . And no, the host isn't as good as Joel (deal with it)  , but EP1 was hilarious. My face  hurts from laughing.  They have a David Hasselhoff film in the line up I am looking forward to ( My Kids are watching Attack On Titan Season 2 , and this will be the follow up, since that little 20 minute episode isn't satisfying.)

I caught the pilot last night. They captured the essence without making it annoying. I think it'll be good.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #874 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Explain , preferably using Rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJylMyfu9I

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #875 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
I took my daughter to see the "Beauty and the Beast" movie today. In spite of all the bluster from the Right about Le Fou being a homosexual (it was definitely suggested) and the Beast looking like Baphomet (he definitely did), this move was absolutely magnificent. There are very few films that inspire in me an immediate desire to rewatch, but this was definitely one of them. Outstanding.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #876 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
We saw Beauty and the Beast a few weeks ago. I didn't hate it,  and  the homosexuality of La Fou is only slightly more blatant in the movie than it was in the cartoon, but therein lies the problem. In many cases this is almost a scene for scene remake of the cartoon often using the same camera angles and pans - but hey can "Be Your Guest get even more over the top than it was in the Cartoon? With CGI - you betcha.

They laid some interesting back story framework that would have enhanced the story and relate-ability  of the characters and motivations if fleshed out, but they instead of just left it  a "read between the lines" skeleton. Thankfully they modified certain scenes just enough so that its no longer a story about Stockholm syndrome.... but they missed a chance to make it more. ( Probably because someone at Disney forced them to return to a  known cash cow format) The songs are also, in many cases, over-dubbed with a too perfect studio version.  So much so that you wonder if that is really the on-screen cast still singing them ( it is - but I had to look it up to be sure)

Its a fine effort, and still very enjoyable to watch,  and probably better than the original animated version... but only just in my opinion.  Granted my kids were of an age at the time that I saw the original cartoon just a bit more than a few times - so that may be adding to my perception that  it was canned and  unoriginal  in a disappointing way. . Michelle  had the same perception of the film so its not just me.. 

Plus after the "he for she" nonsense, Emma Watson's arrogant ( but very very pretty and perfectly casted ) mug still gets on my nerves. Shut up and sing.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #877 on: April 24, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
Believe it or not, I've never seen the original cartoon. So my opinion is based solely on my experience at this viewing of the new film. I went because my daughter wanted to go, and my wife is out of town, so I figured, "hey, she went fishing with me the day before because I wanted to, so I'll sit through a kid's movie." I wasn't expecting to even be entertained, and I wound up mesmerized.

I honestly don't have any criticisms of it. Maybe if I thought hard I'd come up with some. But a day later, I still want to see it again. I loved the music, the scenery, the story, the flow, the CGI, the casting, the character growth, and the pace. Emma Watson (as obnoxious as she is in real life) was enchanting as Belle. Pitch-perfectly cast, in my opinion. I've seen her casting in that role criticized elsewhere, so I wasn't expecting to like her in the role. To the contrary, I thought she was perfect. And what a beautiful young lady!

Regarding the controversies: I get it. Conscious decisions were made regarding the not-so-ambiguously gay character, and to give the Beast the visage of Baphomet. But I'll say this: the gay character was not a flattering portrayal of homosexuality. It was stereotypical, clownish, and completely served as comic relief. No kid will come away from that movie wanting to emulate Le Fou. And as far as Baphomet - he looks cool. They had to make the character look like a beast-man, and they picked a really cool-looking beast-man.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #878 on: April 24, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »

Believe it or not, I've never seen the original cartoon. So my opinion is based solely on my experience at this viewing of the new film.

That explains it.  The original animated film was quite well done, and other than having seen it about 100 times, and the more overt Stockholm syndrome incorporated in it,  its really a good film - beautiful and entertaining in many aspects- especially  for Kids.   I was hoping the live action version would be more "broadway musical" and less " use the original film as a storyboard for shooting this one"   - But as the Original was excellent , and this followed it closely, they got a similar excellent and marketable product, with almost zero risk.  Its a good film. Its an excellent soundtrack ( just as it was when the animated version aired)  but there was little surprising or new in it, and I found myself getting bored as there wasn't enough new material to keep and maintain my interest.

Emma Watson (as obnoxious as she is in real life) was enchanting as Belle. Pitch-perfectly cast, in my opinion. I've seen her casting in that role criticized elsewhere, so I wasn't expecting to like her in the role. To the contrary, I thought she was perfect.

She was the right one for the part for sure. She  played the role very well, and I can't imagine who I would rather see  playing that part if not her.  But that doesn't make me like her any better.

The throw away joke about the guy liking to be dressed in women's makeup and gowns was more annoying to me than Le Fou.. and I think your description of his character is spot on, and he really doesn't detract ( or add) much to the performance besides his comic relief. And really the original cartoon version was enough that I was wondering if Disney were trying to sneak a gay character in back then.. so I was wondering what all of the hub-bub about a gay character was about... because Le Fou - other than a more overt quip here and there, was not much different than he was in the original. I even wondered if he was really  the character that had gotten everyone so upset, or if there was someone new that was going to be introduced.

My criticism is mostly that I  would have preferred Belle's alienation from her community and loneliness had been played stronger,  thus giving a more solid foundation to her desire and willingness to stay with the beast,  and even to become attracted to him as they both find solace in each others company.  That element was there in bare-bones form - and was an intriguing deviation for the original..  but I think Disney missed the opportunity to explore that part of the courtship and the underlying motivations, and I think if they had, it would have been a stronger and more emotionally involving story. Perhaps my irritation is simply that the bare bones were there  as if to say  " Yeah, we know we could have gone there and made this even better for audiences who have seen this all before, but  we knew  most would be happy with a duplicate of the original so we didn't bother.. and took the safe way out. I can even see some exec somewhere hacking that out of the script screaming "The original was a winner! don't fix what isn't broken!!" Which is of course why I was more enthralled with Your Name, than this film.. That director is still taking risks

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #879 on: April 26, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Jeesh!

http://www.thewrap.com/disney-pushes-fifth-indiana-jones-film-2020/

It looked like he was close to needing a walker in The Force Awakens...lucky for him he's out of those now...is he gonna kick in this flick too?