Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229276 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #920 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
"Superheroes are constructs we create or embrace as a way to cope with feelings of powerlessness in a world where our phones give us godlike omniscience and moral centers are increasingly hard to find. - Abraham Riesman writing for Vulture
http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-tick-amazon-tvs-smartest-superhero-satire.html

Another thing worth watching is Amazon's original The Tick, with the original Creator Ben Edlund at the helm.  Even if you haven't ever been exposed to the Tick ( (The old Animation show  is HILARIOUS. The 2000 live action version, not so much )  You already know Ben. Ben wrote the song the  Hero of Canton. and most of the Jaynestown episode of Firefly. He also wrote the episode "Trash". He worked with Joss Whedon on Titan A.E, Angel and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog ( Bad Horse and Moist were his ideas)

I liked the new reboot ( 6 episodes available now, 6 more in January) and its striking the right cord with me. The Tick is a big friendly, nigh indestructible,  Labrador of a guy and just as smart - but moral, loyal and very clear on  the distinction between good vs. evil. His vocabulary is awesome, but he has no clue how to use it and the mixed metaphors that  result will have you rolling ( Mano-a-Manomyth...)  Seriuously Ben can write this dialog in a way you never see it coming and its always funny.

Arthur, his sidekick, is anything but super, but is needed as the brains of the outfit. The Criminals are outrageous, and if the first 6 episodes are any indication they are off to a strong start. 

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #921 on: November 06, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
Funimation just paid for itself again.. They are "simul-dubbing" Space Battleship Yamato.. which means they are providing

1) every week for the nest 24 weeks a new Dubbed show to watch - no subtitles.
2) A legal way to watch Space Battle Ship Yamato in America

So far I think they are doing an excellent job. This is in my tp 3 all time favorite anime series. These aren't the exact voices I would have picked, but I'll get used to them eventually. This is the remake of Star Blazers which if you were a kid in the 70's and 80's you might remember watching before or after school.  There is a huge amount of CGI in this which makes it stunning, but they did a really good job of integrating the CGI with the animation so it isn't jarring or odd. Just a delight to watch.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/star-blazers/

You should be able to watch without paying as long as you sit through the commercials.. but I think they keep you a week behind.. Or they might tease you with the first 2-3 episodes for free and then  ask you to subscribe. Its $6 a month, but if you like anime and hate subtitles this is the place for you..

They have a bunch of newer  popular anime like Attack on Titan, Claymore, code Geass, erased, ergo proxy, fairy tail ( which I couldn't get into but others love), Ghost in the shell, My Hero Academia, Kings Game , Mush-shi, Noein, Noragami, One Piece, Psycho-pass, Steins;Gate , Gintama

and classics like  Mobile suit Gundam, Appleseed, bubblegum crisis, cowboy bebop

And those are just the ones that caught my eye browsing in the catalog.

Yeah I know. Cartoons.  Pretend you are watching some Disney thing..

A lot of them have very complicated and  intricate story lines. They are often telling a single story - over an arc of 13-26 episodes, and the stories are wonderfully cohesive, often getting better on a second viewing because of all of the foreshadowed crap you missed the first time -- because the stories are written and then made vs being written episode by episode like Hollywood likes to do
Some Anime is crap. Some is good. Some is really, really, "you can't seriously expect me to stop watching now, just one more episode" good.  Both Yamato and Steins;Gate are worth the price of admission here. ( though you can't binge watch Yamato till sometime next May)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Oh and stranger things season 2 is out in case anyone missed it.  Different than season 1, but I still liked it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
Munched up all of Season Two already and it was good.

There are new episodes, and the last -- I think it's officially canceled now - of Longmire.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
Yay, love Longmire!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #926 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Munched up all of Season Two already and it was good.

There are new episodes, and the last -- I think it's officially canceled now - of Longmire.

I finally got a chance to get caught up on Longmire. What a disappointment! I was left with the sense that they ran out of ideas or money....or something.

Oh well, at least they didn't have Walt come out as a phag...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #927 on: November 28, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
As I understand it, "they" ran out of the desire to keep the series going and the cancellation was known during the filming of the last ten episodes.  It was considered a series for "older people" anyway; very little sex, no gay, not that much di-VER-sity, ya know, all the stuff the young supposedly want to see and support.

I'm glad, at least, that they did some wrapping up before it went away.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #928 on: December 02, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »
So my daughter read this book called "Wonder", about a boy with a deformed face, and the people in his life. She loved it to pieces, telling me all about it as she read. She kept saying she was bracing for the main character to die before the end, and she was almost giddy when he didn't.

You may have heard of the new movie. I took her to see it today, and I have to say it was perhaps the most beautiful, life-affirming movie I've ever seen - embodying kindness, sorrow, love, friendship, forgiveness, self-discovery, and many other positive aspects of the human experience - all in a simple story about a little boy and his friends and family.

No action; no death (not human anyway); no unnatural evil, or supernatural good, or heroism. Just a story everyone should see.

A few very small critiques...
~Having to suspend disbelief that Julia Roberts isn't a Leftist whore. She's a good enough actress that I got over it for a couple hours.
~The tiresome "strong matriarch/subservient husband" (well-played by Owen Wilson) is present, although Wilson's character does a good job making sure that we understand his subservience is a coping mechanism to help mama deal with the incredible burden of their circumstances.
~One precept of the movie is, "when given a choice between being right and being kind, choose being kind." I get the point - especially in the context of the movie - but real life deals plenty of circumstances when being right is a helluva lot more urgent than being kind.

Aside from those minor critiques, again, this is perhaps the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Had me at the edge of tears throughout, until they were finally yanked out with much joy by the end.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:42:15 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #929 on: December 14, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Oh, this could be good!

The 15:17 to Paris

http://collider.com/the-1517-to-paris-trailer-clint-eastwood

Could trigger snowflakes and muzzies...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #930 on: December 14, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
Oh, this could be good!

I can't believe Eastwood has enough faith in his directing and/or the young heroes that he's willing to gamble on casting them as themselves. Crazy cool if it works.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #931 on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
Oh, this could be good!

I can't believe Eastwood has enough faith in his directing and/or the young heroes that he's willing to gamble on casting them as themselves. Crazy cool if it works.

I think his judgment is several magnitudes more sensible than say Michael Moore, Harvey Weinstein et al, so if I had to lay money down I'd lay it on 'working'.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #932 on: December 14, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
Oh, this could be good!

I think his judgment is several magnitudes more sensible than say Michael Moore, Harvey Weinstein et al, so if I had to lay money down I'd lay it on 'working'.

This will soar in the box office...especially in light of the crap that Hollywood's been churning out. Danger. Guts. Struggle. Victory.

Bingo!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #933 on: December 16, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
This will soar in the box office...especially in light of the crap that Hollywood's been churning out. Danger. Guts. Struggle. Victory.

Bingo!
You mean it will do better than Miss Sloane (2016)?
I can't wait for all the liberal butt hurt on this movie.
BTW I think Act of Valor cast real Navy SEALs.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #934 on: December 16, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »

You could do worse than to mine this thread for things to watch. I prefer Anime myself.
But if you must watch recent American productions: The Ranch, The Tick, Stranger Things. The Man in the High Castle..

Others?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #935 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »
We just finished up with "Longmire" last night. Unlike other recent series I've enjoyed, I'm really sad this one is over. There is a montage music scene at the end that I don't want to completely give away, but it shows Walt's daughter Cady with her new boyfriend Zack pounding in "Longmire For Sheriff - Honesty and Integrity" campaign signs into the ground. Eyes started leaking at that moment, I think because it really summed up the entire character of Walt Longmire in such a real way. He was a flawed character, but never a bad man. Even when it was the hard thing to do, he always had honesty and integrity as a core foundation, and even when it took time for him to work through things, you always knew as a viewer that honesty and integrity were gonna win with this guy before all was said and done.

The show managed to explore the shades of gray in real life, without making the character do outright evil things. That's a refreshing departure from how most "dark hero" stories go.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #936 on: December 17, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »

Bingo!

It definitely did. It payed off too - pretty good movie.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #937 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
We just finished up with "Longmire" last night. Unlike other recent series I've enjoyed, I'm really sad this one is over. There is a montage music scene at the end that I don't want to completely give away, but it shows Walt's daughter Cady with her new boyfriend Zack pounding in "Longmire For Sheriff - Honesty and Integrity" campaign signs into the ground. Eyes started leaking at that moment, I think because it really summed up the entire character of Walt Longmire in such a real way. He was a flawed character, but never a bad man. Even when it was the hard thing to do, he always had honesty and integrity as a core foundation, and even when it took time for him to work through things, you always knew as a viewer that honesty and integrity were gonna win with this guy before all was said and done.

The show managed to explore the shades of gray in real life, without making the character do outright evil things. That's a refreshing departure from how most "dark hero" stories go.

The funniest thing about Longmire was the murder that occurred each week. For such a quiet place, Absaroka County sure had more than its share of killings!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #938 on: December 17, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »

The funniest thing about Longmire was the murder that occurred each week. For such a quiet place, Absaroka County sure had more than its share of killings!

Indeed! Kinda like Perry Mason getting the real killer to confess on the witness stand every single episode!

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #939 on: December 20, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
Coming soon . . . #Chappaquiddick / #ByeByeTeddy

Chappaquiddick Trailer

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.