Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 237723 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #1020 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »
In my opinion, the best film-making happening today is television. Feature films have become unimaginative, stale, totally derivative, repetitive. Worst of all, so many filmmakers have lost the ability or desire to develop a character, and that’s one of the primary things that interests me about any fictional entertainment. My suspension of disbelief needs to care one way or the other about who I’m watching, or I don’t enjoy watching.

The long-format, multi-episode nature of television is simply a superior format for character development.

If you like action/intrigue thrillers in the mold of “24” or the “Bourne” films, I highly recommend “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan” on Amazon Prime, and “Bodyguard” on Netflix.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #1021 on: January 16, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
In that vein, I'd recommend "Goliath" w/Billy Bob Thornton (either Netflix or Amazon; I can't remember which).
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1022 on: January 16, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
 I agree about TV vs movies today. I used to hate TV and loved movies. My favorite movies were Reds (Warren Beatty), Excalibur, 2001, The Fighter. The only TV shows I liked were The Rockford Files and Wiseguy.  I still like Wiseguy, currently on Amazon Prime I believe. Good recent movies are rare. I liked Norman (Richard Gere) but it is not for everyone. Joker was well done. Ruby Sparks was clever. The Edge of Darkness was awesome.

I like visual movies, epics, and good writing.

Someone got me watching TV in recent years, Breaking Bad. My favorite TV shows in recent years are The Americans, The Good Wife, Goliath, Ozark was OK, Justified. Dirty John was good. Unbelievable was good. The Night Of.

I loved 24 long ago and the Bourne Series. I did not like Jack Ryan, especially the ending in VE. Columbiana is like a female Bourne movie. Very stylized.

I loved seeing Jonathan Banks in Breaking Bad. He was in Wiseguy. Wiseguy had great character development. I loved the garment trade arc with Jerry Lewis and Ron Silver, also the Mel Profit arc with Kevin Spacey. Sen Thompson played a white supremacist huckster in one arc.

on edit
I also liked Body Guard.
For humor, I liked White Gold and Catastrophe, both British.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:16:38 PM by patentlymn »
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1023 on: January 17, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »

Mind hunter was a good series.
Age of Adeline was a very good movie IMO. Like a fairy tale.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1024 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
There's no movie today as good as The Wire, which I'm in the middle of.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1025 on: January 27, 2020, 03:37:38 PM »
I rewatched Die Hard.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #1026 on: January 28, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »
A few days ago watched "Walking Out" --then the series "Making a Murderer"[My son lives where is on going documentary takes place in Wisconsin].
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1027 on: January 29, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »
Rockford Files and Wiseguy are both on Amazon Prime now. I loved them both.
I watched some Rockford Files episodes.

I watched Wild with Reese Witherspoon. I have been watching lots of backpacking videos for some reason.

Here is one backpacking video.
https://youtu.be/FSy60coG1-U

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #1028 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:50 AM »
Loaded up with some I haven't seen in a bit.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #1029 on: March 28, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
  I have 66 movies on Tivo.  Not what I want to do but it is what it is.    ::outrage::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #1030 on: March 28, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
  I have 66 movies on Tivo.  Not what I want to do but it is what it is.    ::outrage::

My company runs on a completely digital platform. Using our App, a PC/iPad, and/or cell + Zoom (for all meetings & seminars) - we can connect to virtually everyone -- and we're UP 15% for the last 2 months (Feb + March). Despite that - there's a whole 'nother side of stress & busy-ness - "running" from  digital meeting to meeting.

That + home "projects" (today we're moving some shelving around to better accommodate business tools & then, food storage) are keeping me busy along with food & supply acquisition.

But . . . after dinner, it'll be a glass (or so) of Shiraz & a movie or 2 from my collection, a fraction of which I posted above -- need to unplug & watch bad guys get blasted!!

Edit: interestingly - I have not moved to digital movie watching -- prefer it on Blu-Ray or DVD (probably because it can take me 2, sometimes 3 evenings to complete watching one movie -- I've always been more audio, than visually driven & listen to a lot of music).
But I'm considering Netflix or You.Tube . . . maybe  . . .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:46:09 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1031 on: March 28, 2020, 04:54:10 PM »
  I'm looking at hulu.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1032 on: March 28, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
I have been watching broadcast TV more than usual. Moviestvnetwork is movies!.
The Sci Fi movie eXistenZ has been on. It is a very imaginative movie. Great cast.
Face in the Crowd, The Valachi Papers have been on. Gun Crazy (the original) is on some.

Charge TV has mostly cheesy movies but some OK. watchcharge.com Gang Related was OK.
Comet comettv.com lists mostly cheesy sci fi movies. Good on rare occasion.

The Edge of Darkness (Mel Gibson) is my most rewatched movie.
The Angel on netflix is a good true spy movie. It is in english but the arabic  parts are subtitled.

What to watch?  Age of Adeline is a nice movie.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #1033 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
  I'm looking at hulu.

That's what I have, and with upgraded modem no more hiccups in the streaming.  I had Blue, added Orange but the latter has the ESPN channels that with most things postponed it is a digital desert now (and damn I was looking forward to baseball).  But you can rent flicks through Fandango (last one I saw was Ford vs Ferrari) and you can also buy if you want.  You can get other free stuff like Pluto, YouTube (some things like movies and shows are a buy/rent deal though some free content with ads is available) and you can add different news channels from around the nation/world.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1034 on: March 29, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
  I'm looking at hulu.

That's what I have, and with upgraded modem no more hiccups in the streaming.  I had Blue, added Orange but the latter has the ESPN channels that with most things postponed it is a digital desert now (and damn I was looking forward to baseball).  But you can rent flicks through Fandango (last one I saw was Ford vs Ferrari) and you can also buy if you want.  You can get other free stuff like Pluto, YouTube (some things like movies and shows are a buy/rent deal though some free content with ads is available) and you can add different news channels from around the nation/world.

When I'm ready we'll talk  ok.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1035 on: March 30, 2020, 07:54:58 AM »
  I'm looking at hulu.

When I'm ready we'll talk  ok.

Youbetchya.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1036 on: March 30, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »
   ::curtsy4::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1037 on: March 31, 2020, 05:49:50 AM »
Funny, you wouldn't think going from the Twin Cities to Cedar Rapids I'd get worse internet, but I went from 40mb Centurylink (with streaming hic-ups) to 80mb Centurlink with perfect streaming.  Go figure.

::whatgives::

Just finished The Wire, now starting Carnivale.  It's really giving me a Twin Peaks vibe, including having the midget from Twin Peaks as part of the cast.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #1038 on: July 02, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »

I binge watched Babylon Berlin on Netflix. Three seasons so far.
It is set in late 1920s Berlin. Historically there was a lot of debauchery there, live sex shows, homosexuality, and this is shown in part but they do not dwell on it.  Also extreme poverty, political violence. Brown shirts and commies and military and police. I loved the mini series. It is watchable in German or English audio  with or without subtitles.

It is fiction but the background is pretty accurate. The two main characters are interesting. The woman, Charlotte is captivating. She is only 5 foot 3 inches but has presence.

https://youtu.be/uekZpkYf7-E

https://youtu.be/aj1WTiCoJ2k

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #1039 on: August 12, 2020, 08:43:39 AM »
This is pretty impressive...as a self-taught nunchuck user and manufacturer as a lad of 11...they are not the easiest things to effectively manage and I accumulated the scars to prove it...this kid has this sequence down pretty dang good -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1291771764792385536    H/T-TLR/CT

Well done, Little Dragon!

::thumbsup::

They are for the young and the still flexible!