Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229592 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2011, 01:17:07 AM »
Last Man Standing (1996)

Bruce Willis
CHristopher Walken
Bruce Dern

Not exactly the best script (dialogue) but lots and lots of shooting and a very high body count as Bruce Willis plays both sides against the middle in a Irish mob versus Italian Mafia film noir piece set in west Texas near the Mexican border.

Funny thing...not much has changed. Corrupt Mexican army involved in smuggling bootleg alcohol during Prohibition compares quite nicely to today's Mexican drug cartels/gangs who often have the authorities paid off.

The gun violence is way over the top and grossly exaggerated which, if you like this sort of thing (and I do), is pretty good...especially the ridiculous scenes where the shooting victim literally flies away from Willis' guns while being filled with lead.

Christopher Walken is, as always, menacingly good...this time as the super bad ass hitman for the Irish mob.

Not a great movie but an okay to good movie. Here is a video of Willis' greatest hits:

Link to IMDB
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
That was a GOOD ONE ! ( For those of us who like lots of gratutitous violence and 1911A1s in shoulder holsters .)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
That was a GOOD ONE ! ( For those of us who like lots of gratutitous violence and 1911A1s in shoulder holsters .)

It had that, in spades!

Saw the new Pirates movie this weekend...IMO it kinda blew chunks.  Maybe I should get a copy of Last Men Standing and forget I paid money to see that other crap.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe (2005)
The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010)

The Narnia books are one of my fondest memories from my childhood. I read all of them several times before I had even heard of The Lord Of The Rings...which I read several times, as well. Now, I know that Hollywood soils just about every original work of fiction that it touches so when I learned that Tolkien's masterpiece was going to get the real big screen treatment (as opposed to the Ralph Bakshi abortion) I was as skeptical as ever. But much to my surprise Peter Jackson treated Middle Earth with the respect that any fan knows it deserves. And that respect was rewarded with box office bucks and praise from both critics and moviegoers.

When The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe came out a couple of years after the third Rings film I was hopeful that the producers and director would be faithful to C.S. Lewis' stories. And that first film was pretty close to the novel. Sure, there were some minor plot deviations but for the most part it was very well done. That left me hopeful for the next entry in the series.

Sadly, I was to be hugely disappointed by Prince Caspian and even more so by The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader. I don't put too much in what the critics say but the Rotten Tomatoes aggregate review numbers have sunk with each new movie in this franchise and I have to agree. One of the most insulting things (and what prompted me to write this post) is the marketing for Dawn Treader which includes a frame in the trailer that sez: "From the C.S. Lewis Masterpiece..." This is so incredibly insulting. How do you acknowledge something as a masterpiece and then almost completely rewrite it? That would be like taking a famous painting and replacing it with a cartoon and then talking about how great the original was. Dawn Treader the movie resembles the book in only the most superficial ways imaginable: The characters are the same and they hang out on a boat with the same name and visit some of the same locations. What a joke. What an embarrassment.

I refused to pay good money to see Dawn Treader in the theater after the Prince Caspian hack job. Nevertheless, my young daughter insisted on renting it on DVD and I was forced to watch it with her (the things I do to be a good dad). But someone needs to put this franchise out of its misery. Soon. It's very painful.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
How do you acknowledge something as a masterpiece and then almost completely rewrite it? That would be like taking a famous painting and replacing it with a cartoon and then talking about how great the original was.
In the 'almost completely rewrite it' vein, there was one movie that totally disgusted me.

I was a big fan of Tom Clancy's books.  When I read The Hunt For Red October, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.  Now some thought the movie was great, but I found it lacking, though I know the reason why.  Clancy's novels are so technical and far-reaching that making them into a two hour movie would try any script writer and director.

But the one book/movie rewrite that I find to be an abomination is The Sum Of All Fears.  In the book (1991), written at the end of the Cold War with commie Russians still being used as character plot devices, Palestinian terrorists find a lost Israeli nuclear weapon and set it off in Denver Stadium during the Super Bowl, killing the President.  The movie (2002) 'transformed' those Palestinean terrorists finding and detonating a Israeli nuclear device into 'innocent' Syrian scrap dealers finding then having the lost Israeli nuclear device eventually sold to neo-Nazis who detonate it in Baltimore during a football game (not the Super Bowl).  So Palestinean terrorists finding a lost Isreali nuclear bomb and detonating it (with Communist Russian help) in Denver during the Super Bowl (for maximum propaganda impact as we know terrorists are want to do) to kill the President are transformed into Syrian scrap dealers innocently finding the device and unwittingly selling it an arms dealer who then sells it to neo-Nazis who use it to attack the President while he attends a football game in Baltimore.  (Besides the obvious politically correct changes, what President in his right mind would watch a football game in Baltimore when the Redskins are the football religion in DC?  Supposedly, President Nixon even designed a play* used by the 'Skins in a playoff game enroute to their Super Bowl loss to Miami in 1973.)  The plot changes made to The Sum Of All Fears were absolutely horrid.  The Palestinean/Communist Russian real world heavies were magically transformed, in only the way Hollywood can magically transform things, into innocent Syrian patsies and evil neo-Nazo heavies.  Of course, it was the evil Jews who lost their nuclear bomb in the 1967 War who did make the final movie cut.  Imagine that!  The changes (and non-changes) reflect the world of liberal thinking and rejection of reality, even post 9/11 (where those fun-loving Palestineans danced in the streets at the destruction of the World Trade Center towers).

--SNIP--

This got me interested. So I went into the archives. Turns out, there are a zillion different versions of this story, none of which seem to involve quotes from George Allen or Richard Nixon.

The first mention in The Post came about two weeks after than 1971 loss, in a Shirley Povich column:

It was on the eve of the Redskins-49ers game that President Nixon got on a hot line at the White House and confided to Allen one of his hot ideas for beating the 49ers....

"George," said the President of the United States. "I'd like to see you use Roy Jefferson on that end-around. It should be a long gainer for you." Quick as a flash, Allen understood that the President was talking about a flanker reverse....According to the explanations offered later in some circles, for Allen it came down to whether or not his name would stay on the White House guest list.

The play lost 13 yards, and this incident entered Redskins and Nixon lore. But the most comprehensive -- and most fascinating -- account of this play was written by the Syracuse Post-Standard's Sean Kirst in 1994, after Nixon's death. Kirst went back and talked to a whole bunch of the key figures from that game, including Billy Kilmer, who attributed the famous play directly to Nixon.
In a critical second-quarter situation, with the ball on the 49er 8-yard-line, the surprise reverse got hammered for a 13-yard loss. A subsequent field-goal try was blocked.

"A touchdown might have won it," recalls quarterback Billy Kilmer. "When it came in, (we) thought, 'Damn, they really called it."'
Kilmer had direct knowledge of Nixon's role in the play. During a private skull session earlier that week, the phone rang and Allen handed it to Kilmer. Nixon was on the other end. He suggested the 49ers might be fooled by a double-reverse, a play Kilmer says didn't exist in the playbook.

And yet Kirst's research later revealed that Allen apparently asked Nixon to suggest this play to Kilmer.
Twenty-three years later, (Marv) Levy says Allen gave that play to Nixon and then asked him to suggest it, both for strategic reasons and as a gesture of their friendship. If it worked, Nixon would come off smelling like roses. So it was presented to the team, Levy said, as a presidential request.

"(George) wanted the president to look very sage," recalls Levy, special-teams coach under Allen, who has now taken his own team to four straight Super Bowls.

"Afterward, I remember chuckling among ourselves about it," Levy said. "George gave the play to the president, then it didn't work."

In other words, if Levy is right, the entire thing was a myth. Still, the failed Jefferson reverse, as suggested by Nixon, has become a permanent part of both men's official history. This is from The Post's A1 Allen obituary:
Allen's friends included President Nixon, and Allen used a play Nixon had suggested for the 1971 playoff game against San Francisco. It was a reverse to wide receiver Roy Jefferson that lost 13 yards. So much for presidential prerogative, but that play -- which was much utilized by political cartoonists -- indicated the level and intensity of interest Allen had created in the Redskins in Washington.

The Post has returned to this well again and again. In 1986, the Outlook section mentioned "the failed trick play [Nixon] sent in to Redskins coach George Allen during a playoff game in 1971." In 1991, Style mentioned "the time Richard Nixon called Allen to suggest a play that didn't work." In 2001, Ken Denlinger wrote that Nixon "suggested an end-around play that Allen used in a 1971 playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers that failed miserably." In 2004, George Solomon wrote that "Nixon's play was a dud." And in 2008, Mike Wilbon wrote that Nixon "sent a play or two to Redskins Coach George Allen."

So Bruce Allen says the President made some presumably vague suggestions. Shirley Povich says Nixon called George Allen the night before the game. And Marv Levy says Allen gave the play to Nixon and told him to suggest it right back.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Directed by Wes Anderson (also co-screenwriter)

Wes Anderson shouldn't be allowed to direct movies at all, let alone for children.

This movies is from a children's book that I have read to one of my children. It's a Roald Dahl book and if you know who Dahl is (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Witches...all made into movies already) you know that he is capable of writing very good, albeit twisted, children's stories.

Wes Anderson is, and I am being charitable here, an acquired taste. His credentials include Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. His movies are (again, charitably) described as "cerebral." That means that you really need to think hard in order to "get" the jokes that he puts in his movies. I have seen all three of the movies that I just listed and I have to say that cerebral movies are pretty dull. Or maybe it's just Wes Anderson. Yeah, that's it: Wes Anderson is dull and he makes dull movies that professional movie critics really like. A lot.

What Wes Anderson is not capable of is making children's movies that actually entertain children. A good children's movie should have a minimal standard of being able to entertain children. As a bonus, it should also be able to (on a different level, obviously) entertain the adults who are frequently forced to bring the children to the movies or sit with them while it is viewed at home.

Here is a typical snippet of dialogue from this "children's" movie:

Mr. Fox: [addressing the others from atop a pile of bricks] In a way, I'm almost glad that flood interrupted us because I don't like the toast I was giving. I'm gonna start over.
[Mr. Fox switches on his radio. "Le Grand Choral" plays. He gestures as if holding a wine glass]
Mr. Fox: When I look down this table, with the exquisite feast set before us, I see: two terrific lawyers, a skilled pediatrician, a wonderful chef, a savvy real estate agent, an excellent tailor, a crack accountant, a gifted musician, pretty good minnow fisherman, and possibly the best landscape painter working on the scene today. Maybe a few of you might even read my column from time to time, Who knows? I tend to doubt it.
[brief pause]
Mr. Fox: I also see a room full of wild animals.
[He approaches their groups as he speaks]
Mr. Fox: Wild animals, with true natures and pure talents. Wild animals with scientific-sounding Latin names that mean something about our DNA. Wild animals each with his own strengths and weaknesses due to his or her species.
[re-ascends the brick pile]
Mr. Fox: Anyway, I think it may very well be all the beautiful differences among us that might just give us the tiniest glimmer of a chance of saving my nephew, and letting me make it up to you for getting us into this, this crazy... whatever it is. I don't know. It's just a thought. Thank you for listening. Cheers, everyone.
[mimics draining the imaginary glass and smashing it to the floor]
Kylie: Lets eat!
[All eyes turn to Kylie]
Kylie: What? I was just playin' along with the bit he was doing...

Yeah, that's a regular laugh riot, isn't it? And it's typical...the whole movie is chock full of cutsie, inside baseball type dialogue that adults will have a hard time keeping up with.

I think Wes Anderson has two problems. First, he tries to make comedies and he does not have a sense of humor. Or at least, his sense of humor is derived from lectures that he attended about how comedy is created, lectures given at prestigious private schools. His second problem is that he was born too late. He was born in 1969 and therefore he missed out on an essential ingredient in making good children's movies. I speak of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Jay Ward (the primary driving force behind R&B) was a genius at being able to create work that appealed to both children and adults. It is obvious (to me, anyway) that the people who have been behind all of the Pixar and Dreamworks animated productions have at least seen episodes of the R&B show. Anderson seems to have learned everything he knows about making kid movies from the adult stuff on PBS.

So...bottom line: This movie does double duty...it both sucks and blows. Don't allow children to watch it unless you want them to be warped for life.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:03:10 PM by trapeze »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Directed by Wes Anderson (also co-screenwriter)

Wes Anderson shouldn't be allowed to direct movies at all, let alone for children.

This movies is from a children's book that I have read to one of my children. It's a Roald Dahl book and if you know who Dahl is (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Witches...all made into movies already) you know that he is capable of writing very good, albeit twisted, children's stories.

Wes Anderson is, and I am being charitable here, an acquired taste. His credentials include Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. His movies are (again, charitably) described as "cerebral." That means that you really need to think hard in order to "get" the jokes that he puts in his movies. I have seen all three of the movies that I just listed and I have to say that cerebral movies are pretty dull. Or maybe it's just Wes Anderson. Yeah, that's it: Wes Anderson is dull and he makes dull movies that professional movie critics really like. A lot.

What Wes Anderson is not capable of is making children's movies that actually entertain children. A good children's movie should have a minimal standard of being able to entertain children. As a bonus, it should also be able to (on a different level, obviously) entertain the adults who are frequently forced to bring the children to the movies or sit with them while it is viewed at home.

Here is a typical snippet of dialogue from this "children's" movie:

Mr. Fox: [addressing the others from atop a pile of bricks] In a way, I'm almost glad that flood interrupted us because I don't like the toast I was giving. I'm gonna start over.
[Mr. Fox switches on his radio. "Le Grand Choral" plays. He gestures as if holding a wine glass]
Mr. Fox: When I look down this table, with the exquisite feast set before us, I see: two terrific lawyers, a skilled pediatrician, a wonderful chef, a savvy real estate agent, an excellent tailor, a crack accountant, a gifted musician, pretty good minnow fisherman, and possibly the best landscape painter working on the scene today. Maybe a few of you might even read my column from time to time, Who knows? I tend to doubt it.
[brief pause]
Mr. Fox: I also see a room full of wild animals.
[He approaches their groups as he speaks]
Mr. Fox: Wild animals, with true natures and pure talents. Wild animals with scientific-sounding Latin names that mean something about our DNA. Wild animals each with his own strengths and weaknesses due to his or her species.
[re-ascends the brick pile]
Mr. Fox: Anyway, I think it may very well be all the beautiful differences among us that might just give us the tiniest glimmer of a chance of saving my nephew, and letting me make it up to you for getting us into this, this crazy... whatever it is. I don't know. It's just a thought. Thank you for listening. Cheers, everyone.
[mimics draining the imaginary glass and smashing it to the floor]
Kylie: Lets eat!
[All eyes turn to Kylie]
Kylie: What? I was just playin' along with the bit he was doing...

Yeah, that's a regular laugh riot, isn't it? And it's typical...the whole movie is chock full of cutsie, inside baseball type dialogue that adults will have a hard time keeping up with.

I think Wes Anderson has two problems. First, he tries to make comedies and he does not have a sense of humor. Or at least, his sense of humor is derived from lectures that he attended about how comedy is created, lectures given at prestigious private schools. His second problem is that he was born too late. He was born in 1969 and therefore he missed out on an essential ingredient in making good children's movies. I speak of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Jay Ward (the primary driving force behind R&B) was a genius at being able to create work that appealed to both children and adults. It is obvious (to me, anyway) that the people who have been behind all of the Pixar and Dreamworks animated productions have at least seen episodes of the R&B show. Anderson seems to have learned everything he knows about making kid movies from the adult stuff on PBS.

So...bottom line: This movie does double duty...it both sucks and blows. Don't allow children to watch it unless you want them to be warped for life.

That was for kids???I saw it but not for kids at all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
wow that sounds really boring

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2011, 01:22:10 AM »
That was for kids???I saw it but not for kids at all.

As I said, I read this story to one of my kids several years ago. Anderson wrote the screenplay and it is loosely based on the children's book. I would say that the movie contains about 5% to 10% of the book. The rest is all Anderson BS. Don't believe me? Here is the link to the book (which is okay, not Dahl's best work but not bad) at Amazon.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
I will ask because I can:

Is there a movie that you are looking forward to seeing this year?

Here is a link to Rotten Tomatoes "upcoming" page. Make sure to click on the month at the top of the page to advance past June.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »
Here's one that shows promise:

Tom Hanks directs and stars in "Larry Crowne" about a guy who gets laid off, goes back to college where he discovers liberal arts majors who are directionless, jobless and clueless about the real world.

Okay I made some of that up but just reading the plot synopsis makes me think that this is more or less what it's about. Except I'm sure it will have a big time lib bias against business, free markets and capitalism and instead will advocate for the "benefits" of unlimited higher education, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the real synopsis:

Until he was downsized, affable, amiable Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) was a superstar team leader at the big-box company where he's worked since his time in the Navy. Underwater on his mortgage and unclear on what to do with his suddenly free days, Larry heads to his local college to start over. There he becomes part of a colorful community of outcasts, also-rans and the overlooked all trying to find a better future for themselves...often moving around town in a herd of scooters. In his public-speaking class, Larry develops an unexpected crush on his teacher Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts), who has lost as much passion for teaching as she has for her husband.

Cool. Liberal higher education advocacy with a healthy dose of marital infidelity. What more could you ask for?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
Okay, seriously, I am looking forward to Cowboys And Aliens with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. Alien invasion set in the old west. What's not to love?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
Here's one that shows promise:

Tom Hanks directs and stars in "Larry Crowne" about a guy who gets laid off, goes back to college where he discovers liberal arts majors who are directionless, jobless and clueless about the real world.

Okay I made some of that up but just reading the plot synopsis makes me think that this is more or less what it's about. Except I'm sure it will have a big time lib bias against business, free markets and capitalism and instead will advocate for the "benefits" of unlimited higher education, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the real synopsis:

Until he was downsized, affable, amiable Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) was a superstar team leader at the big-box company where he's worked since his time in the Navy. Underwater on his mortgage and unclear on what to do with his suddenly free days, Larry heads to his local college to start over. There he becomes part of a colorful community of outcasts, also-rans and the overlooked all trying to find a better future for themselves...often moving around town in a herd of scooters. In his public-speaking class, Larry develops an unexpected crush on his teacher Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts), who has lost as much passion for teaching as she has for her husband.

Cool. Liberal higher education advocacy with a healthy dose of marital infidelity. What more could you ask for?

Sounds like a take off of an old Rodney Dangerfield movie.

Contemporary American History
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »

I couldn't take any more and stopped at "Magic Trip".
Ken Kesey, olympic wrestler, writer, friend of Timothy Leary, and his act was elaborated in Tom Wolf's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". It was a breezy read and look into 1960's tripping, with Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary, Richard Alpert, the Greaful Dead, the Hell's Angles, et al; the sceane.

I give it a probability of no stars but a big blackhole.

Magic Trip

——
Ken Kesey

Synopsis: In 1964, Ken Kesey, the famed author of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," set off on a legendary, LSD-fuelled cross-country road trip to the New York World's Fair. He was joined by "The Merry Band of Pranksters," a renegade group of…
Synopsis: In 1964, Ken Kesey, the famed author of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," set off on a legendary, LSD-fuelled cross-country road trip to the New York World's Fair. He was joined by "The Merry Band of Pranksters," a renegade group of counterculture truth-seekers, including Neal Cassady, the American icon immortalized in Kerouac's "On the Road," and the driver and painter of the psychedelic Magic Bus. Kesey and the Pranksters intended to make a documentary about their trip, shooting

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
Larry Crowne?

Hanks and Roberts--that's all I needed to know.  ::puke::

I'm not looking forward to any movies.  And I like going to the movies.  sadly, I don't get to go often because I value my money too much.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
Last night we were kidless.
20YO son was out getting in trouble (literally, it seems) and daughter was spending her 16th birthday (today) at her best friend's.
Wife and I went to the drive-in movies.
Saw Green Lantern and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Green Lantern was entertaining but not exceptional.
The story was mostly the background of how Hal Jordan became Green Lantern and the struggles with dealing with his new found power.

Pirates is always good,mindless entertainment.
Johnny Depp is once again great as Jack Sparrow

Fun night even though I faded out for part of Pirates

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:03 AM »
Okay, now I am ready to see Captain America. Check this out:

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:50 AM »
Weren't the producers considering  messing around with the central theme,somehow?
I seem to recall something.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
Okay, now I am ready to see Captain America. Check this out:

Want to see this one. Don't know how it will turn, but I like movies where our Armed Forces AND America are the good guys. I'm tired of visually good flicks (like Avatar) carry the message we destroyed our own planet and our military are nothing but glorified terrorists.

Have you seen Battlefield LA? Not much of a plot but one of the best flicks I've seen championing the United States and our Armed Forces.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
I saw this one tonight on the AoS ONT. I can't believe that I haven't posted on it before because, along with Animal House (more on that one later), it is one of my all time favorite raunchy cult comedies.

Slapshot 1977
Directed by George Roy Hill
Paul Newman
Michael Ontkean
Strother Martin

Old time hockey!

As a kid, I was moved around from place to place until I got into my high school years. One of those places was a two year stay in Canada. And in Canada hockey is like football in the USA. Those were the days, of course, of a half dozen tv channels and twice a week during the season there was a hockey game on. And they were great back then. There was actually a goalie who played for the Minnesota North Stars who didn't wear a mask. And it was a regular occurrence to have bench clearing brawls where they would have to mop the blood up off the ice when it was all over. Detroit's Gordie Howe was an absolute bad ass. Nobody wore stupid helmets. Good times, good times.

When Slapshot came out it was hilarious and nostalgic at the same time. The incredible Hanson brothers made the movie...

Here is the original trailer and, if you want to, you can now rent it for $3 directly from youtube. Apparently that's a new feature or something...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:39:57 PM by trapeze »