Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229672 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:55 AM »
Here's one that shows promise:

Tom Hanks directs and stars in "Larry Crowne" about a guy who gets laid off, goes back to college where he discovers liberal arts majors who are directionless, jobless and clueless about the real world.

Okay I made some of that up but just reading the plot synopsis makes me think that this is more or less what it's about. Except I'm sure it will have a big time lib bias against business, free markets and capitalism and instead will advocate for the "benefits" of unlimited higher education, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the real synopsis:

Until he was downsized, affable, amiable Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) was a superstar team leader at the big-box company where he's worked since his time in the Navy. Underwater on his mortgage and unclear on what to do with his suddenly free days, Larry heads to his local college to start over. There he becomes part of a colorful community of outcasts, also-rans and the overlooked all trying to find a better future for themselves...often moving around town in a herd of scooters. In his public-speaking class, Larry develops an unexpected crush on his teacher Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts), who has lost as much passion for teaching as she has for her husband.

Cool. Liberal higher education advocacy with a healthy dose of marital infidelity. What more could you ask for?

This sounds a lot like the plot to a Rodney Dangerfield movie I once saw .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:34 AM »
Here's one that shows promise:

Tom Hanks directs and stars in "Larry Crowne" about a guy who gets laid off, goes back to college where he discovers liberal arts majors who are directionless, jobless and clueless about the real world.

Okay I made some of that up but just reading the plot synopsis makes me think that this is more or less what it's about. Except I'm sure it will have a big time lib bias against business, free markets and capitalism and instead will advocate for the "benefits" of unlimited higher education, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the real synopsis:

Until he was downsized, affable, amiable Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) was a superstar team leader at the big-box company where he's worked since his time in the Navy. Underwater on his mortgage and unclear on what to do with his suddenly free days, Larry heads to his local college to start over. There he becomes part of a colorful community of outcasts, also-rans and the overlooked all trying to find a better future for themselves...often moving around town in a herd of scooters. In his public-speaking class, Larry develops an unexpected crush on his teacher Mercedes Tainot (Julia Roberts), who has lost as much passion for teaching as she has for her husband.

Cool. Liberal higher education advocacy with a healthy dose of marital infidelity. What more could you ask for?

This sounds a lot like the plot to a Rodney Dangerfield movie I once saw .

::hysterical::

"Why don't you call me when you don't have any more class?"!

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
I saw two (rented) movies over the weekend...

Soul Surfer

This movie was pretty much panned by the critics and having now seen it I can only believe that this is due to the moderate (mild even) Christian tone to the picture. The photography was good. The acting was good. The story was inspirational. The script was good.

The film chronicles the true story of Bethany Hamilton who was the victim of a shark attack while surfing at the age of 13 (I mention her age because the actress who portrays Bethany appears to be several years older than 13). Anyway, as I understand it, the Bethany and the Hamilton family were incredibly strong throughout the ordeal and the aftermath and the tension and controversy displayed in the film was largely manufactured to give the film more drama. I enjoyed the movie and I think most others would, too.

Sucker Punch

I purposefully did not look at reviews of this film before I watched it so that I could form my own opinion without bias from the media. After I finished it I checked in at Rotten Tomatoes and found that (unlike Soul Surfer) this movie was reviewed much the way that I would have done it. Sucker Punch is a mess. First of all it's dreary. The set up is that a young woman's mother dies and then the evil stepfather proceeds to kill both of her offspring in order to claim an inheritance. He is successful in killing the heroine's younger sister but is thwarted in killing off the heroine. Instead he puts her in an insane asylum...presumably this takes place in the late fifties or early sixties when people were easily committed. The evil stepfather pays off the evil asylum manager to give the heroine a lobotomy so as to thoroughly cover his tracks. Seems like it would be easier to just kill her.

The movie ventures off into fantasy and quasi fantasy scenes that take place in the asylum and in some weird alternate universes. Now, I normally like this sort of thing but it has to make sense. Most of this stuff in the movie, however, is incredibly disjointed and odd. That is not to say that the film work and imagery is bad. It is over the top spectacular. But the movie has a very odd and unsatisfactory ending given the set up. Expectations are not met at all. I mean, you expect the good guys to win and the bad guys to lose. That doesn't happen.

Sorry for the spoiler but the bad guys win in this movie. The evil stepfather triumphs. The evil asylum manager gets arrested for something unclear but his evil sidekick gets away with everything and presumably takes his place. All of the good guys get killed except for one and it isn't the heroine. She gets a lobotomy*. I mean, you are rooting for the heroine and her accomplices all through this thing and one of them gets stabbed to death and two more are summarily executed with a 45 auto at point blank range by the evil asylum manager while everyone else watches, helpless to act.

So even though this movie has a lot of beautiful imagery (when it isn't dreary) and lots of great action from the people who brought you 300 it ultimately sucks. I wouldn't recommend anyone bother seeing it. Total waste of time.

BTW, if you want to see a movie where the bad guys win, the hero gets a lobotomy and, somehow, it all works and you have actually seen a really good movie then you should rent "Brazil." Sucker Punch is not trying to be Brazil and couldn't if it wanted to. I have no idea what Sucker Punch is trying to be other than a lot of really good action and imagery. Brazil made you think and it had more than a few darkly funny parts to it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:00:49 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:53 PM »
BTW, I also saw "Cowboys and Aliens" and "Captain America" in the theater recently. More detailed review to follow but I would recommend seeing "Cowboys and Aliens" on DVD. I saw "Captain America" in 2D after I was disappointed with "Thor" in 3D. CA was very good in 2D. Good story. Great action. An obvious lead in to "The Avengers" but a great set up. See it on the big screen if you can.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
BTW, I also saw "Cowboys and Aliens" and "Captain America" in the theater recently. More detailed review to follow but I would recommend seeing "Cowboys and Aliens" on DVD. I saw "Captain America" in 2D after I was disappointed with "Thor" in 3D. CA was very good in 2D. Good story. Great action. An obvious lead in to "The Avengers" but a great set up. See it on the big screen if you can.

The Avenger movie is set up.....Remember the end of Ironman, (who is the actor?) black guy with the patch? Same set up with Captain America. The movies are tied at the end.

Cowboys and Aliens.....Eh...I could have waited for the CD.

Watched Source Code this weekend on DVD.....Enjoyed it. Recommend it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »
Rented the Lincoln Lawyer, actually pretty good, if you like whodunnits.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Watched the "True Grit" reboot a few nights ago with Jeff Bridges - after having watched the original about a month ago. Both are amazing movies, and the reboot is remarkably true to the original. The Cohen brothers deserve kudos.

That Jeff Bridges is one hell of a treasure. He's spent his career being underrated, but I think that's over now.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:05 AM »
I think I still like the original better, but I thought the young gal in the re-make gave a much better better performance than the original.  Bridges appears to get better the older he gets.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2011, 03:02:46 AM »
Amistad. What an excellent movie. I saw it years ago, but ran across it tonight on regular TV, and happened to catch it from the beginning.

It gives life to the notion that the anti-slavery contingency of our founding fathers intentionally placed the mechanisms for the abolition of slavery into the constitution for future generations to deal with the issue when the nation was mature enough to deal with it.

Excellent performances all around, particularly from Djimon Hounsou, playing the abducted African. And a special nod to Sir Anthony Hopkins as John Quincy Adams invoking the founding generation, arguing on behalf of freedom before a supreme court stacked 7-2 with Southern slave-owners. Matthew McConeghey and Morgan Freeman also turn in excellent performances, as do the rest of the cast.

At one point, the Black man on trial is conversing with John Quincy Adams through a translator, and explains that in times of great need, his people call upon their ancestors and believe that they are with them, knowing that in his defining moment, HE is the sole reason for them having existed at all. In what is surely artistic license, that exchange is a dawning moment for John Quincy Adams, as the viewer is coaxed to draw the obvious parallel.

Oh, and it's a Spielberg film.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
Hopkins did an outstanding job in that role IMO.
Good flick.
 ::thumbsup::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
/Bachmann stalking retard mode on

But...but...JQA was only 20something years old.  He couldn't have been working tirelessly to end slavery.

/Bachmann stalking retard mode off

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
Good flick.

Definitely one of the good ones out there.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
Good flick.

Definitely one of the good ones out there.

Just like Michael Caine has The Swarm to his detriment, Anthony Hopkins has Magic to his detriment.  It just goes to show that even the good ones make stinkers.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Saw this the other day and was well worth the look.

Unstoppable Movie Trailer Official (HD)
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »

PRIEST

I won't spoil anything other than to say if you like films that come out of nowhere to surprise you; if you like sci-fi; if you like good super-hero movies... see this. I was pleasantly surprised.

If you enjoyed the "Underworld" series, or perhaps the "Riddick" series, this film will likely be on your "they need to make sequels" list.

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »
All pros - the football player (Jeff Bridges), the gambler (James Woods), the beautiful daughter (Rachel Ward) of the teams owner - from the pyramids of Mexico to the hills of Santa Barbaran, tension, love, greed and lust.  
"Against all Odds"

Phil Collins - Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:55 AM »
I had the hots for Rachel Ward.
I remember her from the mini-series, The Thorn Birds

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »
Amistad. What an excellent movie. I saw it years ago, but ran across it tonight on regular TV, and happened to catch it from the beginning.

It gives life to the notion that the anti-slavery contingency of our founding fathers intentionally placed the mechanisms for the abolition of slavery into the constitution for future generations to deal with the issue when the nation was mature enough to deal with it.

Excellent performances all around, particularly from Djimon Hounsou, playing the abducted African. And a special nod to Sir Anthony Hopkins as John Quincy Adams invoking the founding generation, arguing on behalf of freedom before a supreme court stacked 7-2 with Southern slave-owners. Matthew McConeghey and Morgan Freeman also turn in excellent performances, as do the rest of the cast.

At one point, the Black man on trial is conversing with John Quincy Adams through a translator, and explains that in times of great need, his people call upon their ancestors and believe that they are with them, knowing that in his defining moment, HE is the sole reason for them having existed at all. In what is surely artistic license, that exchange is a dawning moment for John Quincy Adams, as the viewer is coaxed to draw the obvious parallel.

Oh, and it's a Spielberg film.

I showed that movie to my Social Studies class ( 98% black ) in Baton Rouge . The point was totally lost on them .

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2011, 03:40:56 AM »
I had the hots for Rachel Ward.
I remember her from the mini-series, The Thorn Birds

When it was first shown on T.V. ( circa 1983 ) I called it  "The Horney Birds" .

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:08 AM »
Okay, in honor of George Lucas releasing Star Wars in BluRay and taking the opportunity to completely screw with the franchise yet again (the BluRay version has several "artistic" changes thrown in for no apparent reason other than to give the finger to the fans), I present you with the following Star Wars treats:

First, shamelessly stolen from the ONT at AoS, is Star Wars Episode 1 with added subtitles so that you can know what R2D2 was thinking. Warning: The little guy has a seriously nasty mouth:

Liked that? Want more? We can do more...

The same guy doesn't have a Part 3 out yet but there are plenty of others posting this stuff on youtube so have at it.

And now, a video free interlude: The Cracked Magazine bio of George Lucas' film career. And, yeah, it's laced through and through with profanity (notice how that's becoming a theme with Lucas critics?) so don't say you weren't warned...you were.

It just wouldn't be a complete "ridicule Lucas" post without including the links to the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels. These came out quite a while back and if you've never seen them they are at one time both instructional (how to make a movie and how to totally screw up a movie with a huge budget) and hilarious. Know that these are rated R for language, though...

Alright! Well that was fun (if also very long) but... I'm not going to post the reviews to the other two prequels here. You can go here and see the review for Episode 2 and here for Episode 3. If you liked the review of Episode 1 then you will probably like these, too...just reserve about an hour for each one because they are long.

Finally, I leave you with the musical tribute to Episode 1 written and performed by Weird Al Yankovic:

Well, that's it. Hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to tag on your own "Lucas is a douche" material. It's cathartic. Or maybe cathartical if you really, really don't like Lucas.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:59:47 AM by trapeze »