Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229755 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
pretty amusing,trap
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
I watched a terrible movie last night.

The Green Hornet
In the movie, the hero was really a buffoon.
They could have picked Will Ferrell. In fact, I thought there was an uncanny resemblance between Seth Rogan and Ferrell.

For some reason, I don't recall watching the original series.
I'm guessing it was on while doing more carousing than watching tv.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
7 Days in Utopia with Robert Duvall

Very good for the family!
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »

The Green Hornet
They could have picked Will Ferrell. In fact, I thought there was an uncanny resemblance between Seth Rogan and Ferrell.

I recorded it last night but haven't seen it yet.

I am already prepared for the experience that you describe because I read a similar review posted at AoS.

The television series, as I remember it, was produced by the same people who did the Adam West Batman series. The Green Hornet television series wasn't campy like Batman was, though, and had the added benefit of Bruce Lee as Kato.

Maybe the movie producers thought that it should have been played goofy like the tv Batman series was. Who knows?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
Anybody see "Priest" yet? I'm curious to see if anyone else here liked it as much as I did. But don't bother if you're not into post-apocalyptic sci-fi/neo-vampire flicks.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »
Anybody see "Priest" yet? I'm curious to see if anyone else here liked it as much as I did. But don't bother if you're not into post-apocalyptic sci-fi/neo-vampire flicks.

Yeah, I liked it...But I like the post apocalyptic, vampire killing stuff. ::whoohoo::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
The killing pulled up short though...but I guess a sequel door has to be left open, eh?!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
The killing pulled up short though...but I guess a sequel door has to be left open, eh?!

Priest 2....The exorcism
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
I liked it that the heroes prayed before they engaged the enemies, and before they did their super-hero stuff. And I like it that the film blatantly said that our power does not come from the church, but from God.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
Yeah they got that right!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Okay so I watched The Green Hornet last night. I waited until now to write this because my brain was completely shot last night after I watched it.

I knew within perhaps ten minutes that I didn't want to watch it. It was unpleasant on so many levels.

First of all the script was pretty bad. It was bad from the standpoint of overall story. I knew this because I found myself not only not caring about the characters and how it was going to end for them but also because at some point I started to want to see the characters meet a particularly gruesome end. Especially Seth Rogen. I wanted to see him pushed off a cliff or something just so I didn't have to listen to his dialogue anymore. And that was the second part of the bad writing: the dialogue was ridiculous. I could give examples but then I would have a headache so I'm not going to. If you want a headache you can go here and peruse the quotes at IMDB.

The casting was easily as bad as the writing. Who thinks that it is a good idea (in the movies) to have the male hero's love interest be ten years his senior? Rogen is 29 and Diaz is 39. Worse, she looks older than 39...a lot older That's what hi-def will do for you, make you look older. The guy who played Kato is 32 and he looked younger, way younger, which made his play for Diaz look even sillier. So you are left with the thought as to why Cameron Diaz was even considered, let alone cast, for this part. You wonder if they thought she was still the same girl who was in There's Something About Mary or if no one else would take the part or maybe she lost a bet or something.

And, back to the script for a minute, who thought that it was a good idea for the "romantic interest" in the movie to hate the two male lead actors' guts? She hates the Brit Reid character from the word go and never warms to him...not even a little. She sort of likes Kato at first but then decides that he's a dick and hates him for the rest of the movie. Again, who thought this was a good idea?

And although I was cheering for the villain (see reason above), after a while I wanted him dead, too, so that maybe some other better villain might show up and get me interested in the film.

Having reflected on this movie for 24 hours (much the same way that one reflects on food poisoning (or maybe hives) the next day) I have these concluding thoughts:

- Someone thought that it was a good idea to put Seth Rogen in this movie, a part (hero) that he is clearly ill-suited for. Likewise, someone thought that it was a good idea to give him creative control of the film. Clearly, whoever made these decisions needs to be locked up with the guys who gave President Downgrade a Nobel prize. This is simply bad judgement gone horribly wrong.

- This movie, bad as it is, would probably have received a better reception if it had been made twenty or thirty years ago. You know...back when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman and Christopher Reeve was Superman. That was a time when heroes and super heroes had much lower (less serious) expectations. These days we are accustomed to having our heroes  be absolutely deadly serious (or at least credible as crime fighters) and our villains of the pure unadulterated evil variety (Jack Nicholson as The Joker and Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor are a bit of a joke, ya' know?). And by that standard The Green Hornet simply does not measure up.

So anyway, I stuck it out for all 119 minutes and was eternally grateful that it wasn't 120 minutes because it's entirely possible that I might have suffered a stroke if it had lasted even one minute longer. But I suffered so that you don't have to. You have read my review and now you have been quite thoroughly warned about this awful mess.

Final thought: I feel really clever and immensely superior to anyone who actually paid full price to see this in a theater so there's that at least.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:34:47 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
I'm on a string of bad movies.
After Green Hornet, I watched a terrible movie called Machete.

Plenty of gratuitous, graphic violence, which was ok, it had some really big names
DeNiro, Don Johnson, Jeff Fahey and Steven Seagal were "bad guys"

Jessica Alba, Lindsey Lohan and Cheech Marin were among the "good guys"
The prtagonist was a guy named Danny Trejo who has to be the ugliest dude I've ever seen.

Short synopsis.
The bad guys were in bed with the drug cartels and were persecuting the honest, hard working illegal immigrants and wanted to do evil things like build a fence.

As bad as it was, it totally sealed it's awfulness when they used the line "we didn't cross the border, it crossed us"

You'd think I could have found something decent to watch.
I have Direct TV with 200+ channels +HBO, Showtime, Starz and a bunch of other crap

(The premium stations are all on free trials)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »
I'm on a string of bad movies.
After Green Hornet, I watched a terrible movie called Machete.

Plenty of gratuitous, graphic violence, which was ok, it had some really big names
DeNiro, Don Johnson, Jeff Fahey and Steven Seagal were "bad guys"

Jessica Alba, Lindsey Lohan and Cheech Marin were among the "good guys"
The prtagonist was a guy named Danny Trejo who has to be the ugliest dude I've ever seen.

Short synopsis.
The bad guys were in bed with the drug cartels and were persecuting the honest, hard working illegal immigrants and wanted to do evil things like build a fence.

As bad as it was, it totally sealed it's awfulness when they used the line "we didn't cross the border, it crossed us"

You'd think I could have found something decent to watch.
I have Direct TV with 200+ channels +HBO, Showtime, Starz and a bunch of other crap

(The premium stations are all on free trials)

I watched that one too,but I thought it made for good comedy.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
On my "to watch" list of pointless gratuitous violence is "Hobo With A Shotgun" starring Rutger Hauer.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
Don't bother Trap. I thought the same thing, but it's not worth it. I turned it off after 10 minutes and threw it in the garbage. I'm a fan of gratuitous violence if it's done with the right attitude. HWASG is not gratuitous violence, it is gratuitous evil.

Trust me - or see for yourself. But if you do, don't say I didn't warn ya.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:12:01 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »

The Green Hornet
They could have picked Will Ferrell. In fact, I thought there was an uncanny resemblance between Seth Rogen and Ferrell.

Seth Rogen is just Will Farrell with a foot cut off his legs! I am embarrassed to say I sat through the Movie.  ::puke::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
Finally watched one that wasn't too bad.
Tron:Legacy

It had some funky philosophical stuff but fairly entertaining.

Also got around to watching Russell Crowe's Robin Hood.
It was different than previous Robin Hood movies. More like a prequel on how Robin was declared an outlaw and took up residence in Sherwood Forest.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
Finally watched one that wasn't too bad.
Tron:Legacy

It had some funky philosophical stuff but fairly entertaining.

Also got around to watching Russell Crowe's Robin Hood.
It was different than previous Robin Hood movies. More like a prequel on how Robin was declared an outlaw and took up residence in Sherwood Forest.

I liked Tron: Legacy too. As a kid growing up in the advent of video games, I enjoyed the first one, even though now it is utterly cheesy. But folding the new one into the old storyline was about as natural as one could have hoped for, since it was about re-entering that world a few decades later, and seeing how the technology had evolved. The ever-improving Jeff Bridges was an essential element, and it was pretty awesome how they digitally created new footage of him as a young man.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
Watched "Thor" with my boys last night. Daggum cool super-hero movie. And Natalie Portman is one of the world's most beautiful women.

Marvel is really onto something with this Avengers series. Haven't seen Captain America yet, but it's definitely on the short-list.

- Thomas Jefferson