Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229270 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »

The Wild Bunch

Click link, then click Watch Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065214/

A classic, the first of Sam Peckinpah's stylistic movies.  It is excellent
but must be viewed on a big screen and uncut or it is reduced to irrelevant
action scenes.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:07:38 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
Watched "Thor" with my boys last night. Daggum cool super-hero movie. And Natalie Portman is one of the world's most beautiful women.

Marvel is really onto something with this Avengers series. Haven't seen Captain America yet, but it's definitely on the short-list.

Captain America is pretty good....and they are tying all the loose ends to have an Avenger movie.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Yeah, we watched CA a couple weeks ago, and I neglected to comment. Loved it. All these: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Cap'n America - have (aside from Dark Knight Batman) have been the best superhero flicks (IMHO), and The Avengers promises to follow suit. They've done an excellent job with disbelief suspension, character development, casting, screenplays, directing, graphics - and maybe most importantly for The Avengers movie, they've done a superb job tying the plots together.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
Marvel is really onto something with this Avengers series.

What is this series of which you write?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
See my post above Pan.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
See my post above Pan.

I saw it, I just don't understand.  Is "The Avengers" a single movie or a series of Avenger movies? 

... most importantly for The Avengers movie, they've done a superb job tying the plots together.

The plots of IronMan/Hulk et al.?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
Yes. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Cap'n America have all been released with the intent of tying them together into an Avengers film or film franchise. It centers around Stark Industries. If you've seen them and missed that aspect, it might be worth watching them again and looking for the many ways they've tied it all up. It's pretty deep plot writing.

NOTE: make sure to see the Incredible Hulk movie with Ed Norton and William Hurt. The earlier attempt with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connoly was bad.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
...Bad and not related to the Avengers franchise.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
Yes. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Cap'n America have all been released with the intent of tying them together into an Avengers film or film franchise. It centers around Stark Industries. If you've seen them and missed that aspect, it might be worth watching them again and looking for the many ways they've tied it all up. It's pretty deep plot writing.

NOTE: make sure to see the Incredible Hulk movie with Ed Norton and William Hurt. The earlier attempt with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connoly was bad.

Ah, I see now.  Thanks, IDP.

We have seen the Ed Norton version of Incredible Hulk, and both Iron Man ... er .... Men ... er ... Mans .... both of those, so it's onto Thor and Cap'n America then.

The Avengers movie isn't due for release until 2012.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »
I haven't seen the new Hulk or Thor yet

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
I haven't seen the new Hulk or Thor yet

I didn't think either were a big deal.  But this one coming out on the 25th looks interesting, War Horse.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »
I'm  not familiar with that one.
Is that part of the Avenger stuff?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »
I saw "Courageous" a few nights back.

This is a Christian produced film from the same outfit that made "Fireproof" and "Facing The Giants." I have seen both of those movies. "Facing The Giants" was very amateurish and nearly unwatchable. "Fireproof" was a marked improvement but still heavy handed in its preachiness. I understand and appreciate the intent (bringing the Christian message to the secular masses) of a sort of Tyler Perry style home grown film production thingy but it also missed the boat to a large degree.

"Courageous" continues with this idea and it gets closer yet to fulfilling that vision. The acting is better, The writing is better. Everything else is better. I was able to watch it without cringing. Better yet, when I finished watching it I thought that I might even be able to recommend it to others. And I guess that I am sort of doing that now.

It starts with an action scene that looks pretty good. A guy is filling his pickup at the gas station, turns his back for a few seconds to fetch a window squeegee, and a thug hops in and proceeds to drive away. The guy runs after him and clings to the side of the truck, trying to stop the thief by hitting him and maybe pull the keys out of the ignition. The truck ends up getting smacked into a tree or something and the bad guy gets away. When someone asks him why he was so crazy about trying to stop the carjacking the dazed guy stumbles up to the rear door of the truck and reveals that his toddler son is inside in a carseat. So far, so good.

Then they sort of ruin the credibility of that scene by revealing that the guy is a law enforcement officer. Personally, I find it hard to believe that any experienced cop is going to allow his pickup to get carjacked right under his nose. Cops usually have pretty good situational awareness and can see trouble approaching long before it shows up. So he should have noticed the very obvious gang banger checking out his truck from just a few yards away.

The movie is centered around the lives of five men and how they deal with the difficulty of family life and the occasional tragedy and moral dilemmas that lie therein. There is more action (which is mostly realistic and believable) in the middle and end of the film. There are some obvious plot turns and some not so obvious plot turns. I found myself interested in the characters and caring about how things were going to turn out.

It gets very preachy at the end with a big finale speech on stage in a medium sized church that probably could have been edited out...it would not have hurt the overall message had it not been there. It's sort of an alter call to Christian manhood and responsibility for family leadership. Which was, of course, the message of the entire film. So the ending kind of beats you over the head with the message as if to say, "Just in case you weren't paying attention we are going to sum this up for you." Again, could have been left out and I think the movie would not have suffered for it.

So...for a Christian themed and produced movie this was way better than average. I wasn't bored, looking at my watch, wishing I was somewhere else and wondering when it was going to end. I was entertained. Not entertained like a traditional big budget movie will generally entertain me but more like entertained the way that an above average television production might entertain me. If that makes sense. Yes, I would recommend it to a conservative. I'd recommend it to a lib if I thought for a second that their pride wouldn't force them to get up and walk out on it.

So that's it. Take it (and my review) for what it's worth.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:34 AM »
Man, I loved Facing the Giants and Fireproof, in spite of the amateurish aspects - which I do acknowledge. But I viewed them as movies made by Christians for Christians, and was hungry for the message within, so I didn't concern myself with expecting much beyond that. I ended up enjoying them as both entertaining and spiritual food.

Looking forward to Courageous. On the short list.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:05 AM »
I know what you mean but I guess I was under the impression that the whole point of these films is to not preach to the choir but rather to attract the un-churched and un-saved. It is my opinion that "Fireproof" and "Facing The Giants" fail to do that almost entirely. I found "Courageous" to be much closer to that "crossover" type film that might get some evangelistic results.

There is absolutely no question that every one of these films have, unlike a lot of Hollywood stuff, achieved overwhelming financial success. The films are very low budget and yet gross millions and/or tens of millions of dollars. "Fireproof" was made for $500,000 and grossed over $28 million. "Courageous" was made for a million and will probably gross well over $30 million when it's all said and done.

Personally, though, I would like to see these guys (Sherwood Pictures) do a different sort of story. There are countless true stories out there of people who have found Christ and turned their lives around, positively affected the lives of countless others, experienced miracles, etc. The whole manhood thing is important and all but after four (yes, four) similarly themed movies I really think they should try some other narrative direction. If the goal is to provide entertainment for Christians then it really is time to do something different. If the goal is to bring the Christian message to the un-churched and/or non-believer then a true story might go a lot further than this type of film.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »
Did you see "End of the Spear"? IMO that movie went a very long way in accomplishing what you're describing. True story, well done, overt Christian message nicely folded within the context of the story.

I've heard that "Amazing Grace" is like that too, though I've not yet seen it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

The Wild Bunch

Click link, then click Watch Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065214/

A classic, the first of Sam Peckinpah's stylistic movies.  It is excellent
but must be viewed on a big screen and uncut or it is reduced to irrelevant
action scenes.

Yeah . That's a great one . I saw it when it first came out . I'm a big fan of William Holden and Ben Johnson ... Warren Oates too !

RickZ

« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2011, 03:05:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of William Holden and Ben Johnson ... Warren Oates too !

Do you have one of those Bill Holden Drinking Helmets?

Wiki
According to the Los Angeles County Coroner's autopsy report, on November 12, 1981, Holden was alone and intoxicated in his apartment in Santa Monica, California, when he slipped on a throw rug, severely lacerated his forehead on a teak bedside table, and bled to death.

/And, yes, I enjoyed some of the movies Holden made, Stalag 17 being my favorite, and the movie role which earned Bill his only Oscar for Best Actor.

He was also pretty funny on that I Love Lucy episode.

I Love Lucy - "L.A. at Last" (02/07/1955)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »
Holden was in The Horse Soldiers too with The Duke.

::thumbsup::

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052902/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
Holden was in The Horse Soldiers too with The Duke.

::thumbsup::

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052902/

I followed the route of the production of "The Horse Soldiers" ... even stood on the steps or "Greenbriar" . Everything is still there including the front gate . I've also been to the Military Academy . The remainder of the bridge they blew up at the end of the film finally rotted away and fell into the bayou .

That movie was the first and only time Holden and Wayne worked together but was the beginning of an extremely close and life-long friendship .