Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 232514 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Holden was in The Horse Soldiers too with The Duke.

::thumbsup::

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052902/

I followed the route of the production of "The Horse Soldiers" ... even stood on the steps or "Greenbriar" . Everything is still there including the front gate . I've also been to the Military Academy . The remainder of the bridge they blew up at the end of the film finally rotted away and fell into the bayou .

That movie was the first and only time Holden and Wayne worked together but was the beginning of an extremely close and life-long friendship .

Cool!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »

I've heard that "Amazing Grace" is like that too, though I've not yet seen it.

One of my daughters says that's her favorite movie.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »
Just saw War Horse yesterday
Regardless of his liberal politics, Spielberg can be counted on to provide a quality movie.
This one's no different.

There were a couple scenes similar to the opening D-Day invasion in Private Ryan with the massive death shown.

Overall, it was a good movie with a happy ending
It must have been the dusty theater that irritated my eyes a couple times

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
Yeah, saw it too AP.  My theater was quiet most the movie, a few groans of pain at some of the carnage and chuckles at the humor.  I thought it was a pretty good flick.  Didn't recognize any of the actors but I thought all did a pretty good job.  My viewing was packed (it was the first one of the day) and several people clapped at the end and I didn't hear any sounds of disappointment.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »
Ditto
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »
We watched " Cowboys and Aliens" last night. It delivered what one would expect from a movie called "Cowboys and Aliens". It didn't suck, the idea was a good one, the character development left a lot to be desired, but on the whole, worth watching on DVD or Blueray.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
Borrowed captain America from the library a few days ago and watched with my daughter.

It fell flat for me.  It felt like a by-the-numbers tv movie to me.  I never felt the tension was that high or that the hero was ever in any danger.  I guess after his friend died when he was "trying" to be drunk was his dark moment but it didn't work for me. No chemistry between the hero and "the girl" whatever her name was. In fact it would have been better to cut that character altogether. 

I wanted to like it. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
I saw Crazy Stupid Love last night on pay per view.

It delivered on several levels. I liked the characters...cared about them...and the story was interesting. There was a great plot surprise that I did not see coming at all...always a nice touch.

It wasn't a laugh a minute comedy but it clearly wasn't meant to be. That said it was funny enough.

So I would recommend it. The subject matter is not for children so watch it when the kids have been put to bed.

The story involves four (but really only two) relationships...a long time married couple where the woman decides to ask for a divorce. It totally blindsides the husband and he collapses into a pathetic barfly. While at the bar he is observed by a confirmed ladies man who decides to take him on as a charity case. This pickup expert gives the wimpy leading man a makeover...helping him regain his manhood as it were. He succeeds, of course. Then the ladies man stumbles into a real relationship...he falls in love. There are two or three subplots that intricately weave themselves into the lives of these two guys and it all wraps up very neatly at the end.

It kept my interest all the way through which is not something that happens very much any more. That may be because at this point in my life I have seen just about anything and everything that the movies has to offer. That point is highlighted by the fact that Hollywood is churning out pure crap based on ridiculous stuff like television sitcoms rather than developing original stuff. In this case it is original and it's also pretty good.

On a scale of one to ten I would score Crazy Stupid Love as a strong seven or a weak eight.

Funny quote from the movie. Ladies man to wimpy guy: "The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:28:48 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »
So the next pay per view movie I have recently seen is "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes."

On reflection, the most important thing that I could take away from this movie was, "Who thought that James Franco could carry any film as the male lead?" Because that was the most glaring thing about this movie...there was zero star power in it.

The story itself was chock full of holes. And the villain? Anyone care to guess? Yes, it is that old tried and true enemy of the left...corporate America.

The movie opens with what has to be simultaneously the most brilliant and inept scientists in the world working on a cure for Alzheimer's. They have the world's worst lab safety protocols because they allow genetically altered viruses to bounce around all over the place with little regard for quarantine type procedures. Plus they allow their infected test apes to come into close contact with humans and escape the lab.

At one point the mutated ape gets sent to some kind of special primate shelter where inexplicably every one of the caretakers are sadistic animal torturers. I say inexplicably because it is a government facility in San Francisco and as we all know it just isn't possible for Republicans to get government jobs in San Fran and only Republicans could possibly mistreat animals, right?

I don't think I would be putting out a spoiler by telling you that the apes end up winning and taking over the planet so here is another complaint...

See, the apes decide to cross the Golden Gate bridge en masse for some reason that isn't explained ('cause they are smarter than humans now so we can't understand it, I guess). And the humans (law enforcement, no less) try to take them out on horseback with batons. Not electrified batons but just plain old clubs. I don't know about you but I would have the twelve gauge loaded with .50 caliber slugs. But not these guys, no. When they eventually do open fire on the apes they are so incompetent and such poor marksmen that I think I saw a single ape shot and killed. Not even a helicopter mounted gun is capable of shooting an ape. And seriously...one helicopter in all of San Fran to stop a herd of terroristic apes? I guess it was lucky this didn't take place in Texas or the movie would have had to be called the "Rise And Extremely Sudden Fall Of The Planet Of The Apes." I didn't even see that many humans getting killed. What's going on with that? Apes are dangerous. Very dangerous. As famously evidenced a few years back they will rip your face off if given half a chance. And yet these apes didn't do sh*t. The just acted scary and knocked a lot of people over. What a let down. This movie should have climaxed with extreme bloodletting on both sides with maybe one or two of the genetically altered apes getting away to conquer the planet. But instead they escape to a redwood forest where they apparently hang out until mankind is wiped out by some plague that the idiot scientists also unwittingly release and spread all over.

Anyway, this film was highly rated at Rotten Tomatoes but I personally thought it was weak. Just how weak? The writers thought it was necessary or cute or something to steal the Charlton Heston line, "Get your paws off me, you dirty damned ape!" You would think it was enough to remake the movie without pilfering actual dialogue from one of the original films.

If someone asked me if this was worth watching I would say..no. Total waste of time. Complete suckfest. Watch it at your own peril.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, both the most recent "Planet of the Apes" reboots sucked rotten eggs. They finally have the technology to get the aesthetics right, and rather than do a reboot that honors the original by giving it a cinematic look and feel that was not possible in the 1960s, they think they know better, and muck it all up.

You can't remake a classic by reinventing the most basic premises and completely rewriting the story. At least I can't think of a successful one off the top of my head. People are too attached to the classic. And by "classic", I mean a film that is beloved and iconic to many loyal fans, not just a reboot of an old flick.

In my opinion, the "Star Trek" reboot by J.J. Abrams is a good example of how to walk that line with near perfection. If ever there was a monumental task, it was recasting and recreating a franchise that has perhaps the most loyal fans of all, and doing it in a way that honored the original, hat-tipping all the original character portrayals in at least some way, while generally freshening everything up a bit. The "Apes" reboots didn't even try, which to me, insults the original, and fans of the original.

If you wanna make an original movie, knock yourself out. I love originality. Just don't sh*t on Pierre Boulle, Rod Serling, Charlton Heston, and fans of a classic while you're indulging yourself.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »
Why didn't the C.I.A. figure prominently in this mess ? I suppose as an "homage" to Pierre Boulle , the Golden Gate Bridge was substituted for the Bridge On The River Kwai . Maybe the monkeys were a metaphor for Japs ?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Didn't see the new ape movie, looked to spider-manish to me, figured I'd pass, guess I made the right choice.

Rented "Columbiana"...kind of a tale of two movies to me, I found the young girl first part more interesting than the grown up assassin, so it turned out to be mediocre in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:31:36 PM by Libertas »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »
Soul Surfer

Remember the 13 year old Hawaiian surfer girl Bethany Hamilton who lost her arm to a shark in 2003? This movie is her story of struggle, faith, setback, and comeback. I watched it late last night after a disgusting plow through the Iowa Caucus coverage, and found it was just the inspirational pick-me-up I needed. This is an openly Christian film, with the Christianity aspect carefully handled as to not seem overbearing, clumsy, or out of context. Mostly it just portrays the family as a Christian family, with a couple church scenes, a few biblically inspired conversations, and a poignant mission-trip-to-tsunami-ravaged Thailand scene.

This is not a great film by any stretch. It is too simple and straight-forward to be great. It stars Anna Sophia Robb as Hamilton, Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt as her parents, Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) as the father of Hamilton's friend who rescued her after the attack, Craig T. Nelson as the family doctor and friend who performed her surgery. The weak link acting-wise is a small role by singer Carrie Underwood as the church youth-group leader. But she's pretty, sweet, and wholesome, so she gets a pass for trying in my book.

The film asks you from the beginning to accept the premise that surfing can be the overriding motivation in ones life - similar to any other sports movie. The portrayal of Hamilton by Robb, the supportive father and mother (Quaid & Hunt), along with breathtaking oceanscapes and killer surfing footage, put you in that "surfing is my life" mindset right away, so the premise is sound.

One aspect of the film that is simple in today's filmmaking yet crucial for this film, was the digital removal of Robb's arm at the shoulder, and replacement with a digital stump. The film made zero effort to use camera angles to avoid showing the arm. From the moment it was lost, CGI took over that aspect of the film, and she was an armless girl, and the viewer was confronted with it throughout, just as Hamilton and her family would have been.

Ultimately this movie is a story of this girl's character and spirit. Her moments of despair are fleeting, as her inner strength and faith in God proves to be the thing that carries her loved ones and friends through the trauma. She helps them be strong for her. She inspires them to rise above their heartache over what happened to her, and thus be capable of supporting her in her times of need.

If for no other reason, I recommend this film as an antidote to the trash pumped out by Hollywood, and as a financial support for such films. Voting with your dollars, as it were.

There are a couple other things to note here as reasons for support of this film. Kevin Sorbo and Craig T. Nelson have firmly staked their careers in conservative ground. Sorbo as an openly born again Christian who seeks and accepts roles in openly Christian films, and Nelson as an openly conservative advocate for traditional American values, willing to part with Hollywood and appear on talk shows as a conservative. Dennis Quaid is openly Christian, and has made several inspirational films. Helen Hunt was an Academy Award winner with "As Good as it Gets", and yet her major roles have become scarce, which leads me to wonder if she has been somehow "blackballed" for conservative views. If one looks at her filmography and her directoral choices, it seems she has a preference for acting in and directing inspirational movies with spiritual themes. Carrie Underwood is openly Christian, and in spite of her immense popular appeal, has refused to go the trashy route.

SO if one is looking for reasons aside from just seeing an inspirational film that doesn't require a lot of deep thinking, support conservatives in conservative films.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
I've heard more than one person say that movie is a good one to see, I will have to check it out.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
I saw Crazy Stupid Love last night on pay per view.

It delivered on several levels. I liked the characters...cared about them...and the story was interesting. There was a great plot surprise that I did not see coming at all...always a nice touch.

<snip>

"The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise."

Both my daughter and husband liked this movie.  Will have to check it out sometime.

My daughter references the above quote often.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Aliens is one of my favorites too. I also agree it's one of the best sequels ever (along with The Empire Strikes Back). That scene at the beginning when Ripley is at an inquest for hours on end, trying to explain why she engaged the self-destruct on her ship in the first film (i.e., because of the creature) and they keep questioning her sanity, bringing up crass bureaucratic concerns, etc, she finally loses it and goes off on the entire panel. I think of that scene a lot lately, when people ignore the enormous mess we're in and instead focus on their petty BS concerns that won't even matter once things really start coming unglued.

The one thing about that film I have trouble believing is that they would leave their ship in orbit completely unmanned. Seems they would at least have a sentry crew, or a reserve team to do an evac in case things go bad.

Overall a great movie.

I liked Aliens just fine, but there is one thing that always bugs the back of my mind as I watch. The movie was filled with alien guts and bodily secretions being splattered in every direction, including onto the human shooters. In the first movie, a few drops of acidic alien bodily secretions burn through several bulkheads before becoming inert. Huge discrepancy. One must overlook it completely to enjoy the film - and enjoy it I did, so I had no problem overlooking it. But I sure noticed it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
Movies that I am looking forward to...

...which is to say, movies I hope don't suck but have a better than even chance of sucking 'cause, hey, Hollywood.

February release dates:

Act Of Valor Real Navy SEALs do fictional action adventure movie about Navy SEALs.

March release dates:

John Carter Classic Edgar Rice Burroughs story about Mars and aliens and battles and stuff. Big budget Disney movie.

April release dates:

The Cabin In The Woods Joss Whedon (Firefly) does the horror genre.

The Raven John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe. Supposed to be a serial killer thriller.

May release dates:

The Avengers It's the Avengers. Think it can possibly live up to the hype? No, probably not. But Joss Whedon writes and directs so, who knows?

Dark Shadows Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins. The only question is whether it is played straight or for laughs. I'm hoping for straight. I grew up with this way off the beaten path soap opera.

June release dates:

Prometheus The next Alien installment by Ridley Scott.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Will either be very good or very bad. A Tim Burton production (for what it's worth) so not a cheap film.

July release dates:

The Amazing Spiderman Another series reboot.

Ted Seth McFarlane does big screen animation.
The Dark Knight Rises The final installment in the current Batman series.

Neighborhood Watch Ben Stiller. Vince Vaughn. Alien invasion. What could go wrong?

2013 release date:

The Lone Ranger I wouldn't even know about this one yet except for the fact that it's being filmed this summer in my neck of the woods. Johnny Depp plays Tonto(?) It's a big budget Disney film.

I only listed ones that are of vague interest to me. There are many more that I didn't list. You can find the entire list here starting with February releases. Click on the month at the top of the page to see more. Feel free to list what you are looking forward to or what you wish wasn't coming out or what you wish would burn in a grease fire.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:52:57 PM by trapeze »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Dang.....Dark Shadows.....I was young, but it was a can't miss.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »
A blast from the past...

1225 original episodes.

And some background for anyone too young to remember. Not at all like the current crop of emo-boy vampire crap fests.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »
It's kind of easy to predict what you're going to get with a Tim Burton movie, with one exception: it's hit or miss whether it'll be good or terrible. His films are all stylized in a similar way - similar enough that you can pretty much see his signature in the scenery, costumes, dialogue, aesthetics, and overall look and feel. Whether it works or not is a crap shoot. I'm cautiously optimistic that "Dark Shadows" might be a project tailor-made for his talent. Depp nudges that optimism a bit up the scale.

- Thomas Jefferson