Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 235961 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
Kewl - new flicks to watch  ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:43 AM »
OMG, Dark Shadows!  My big brother would have that on when I got back from school...it seemed like such a weird creepy show, I was starting to wonder what the hell was wrong with my brother!
 ;D

Act of Valor I obviously will check out.  John Carter looks different, but what the heck, might be worth a matinee ticket.  Avengers?  Meh.  Horror?  Pass.  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?
 ???
Tim Burton...OooKay.
(So that's where 'Soup got his new avatar!)
 ;D

More spiderman and batman...so not interested.

The Lone Ranger?  I dunno...

Neighborhood Watch?  Vince Vaughn & aliens?  Yeah, OK, I might give that an afternoon.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »
I thought Burton's treatment of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow was magnificent. Batman II, notsomuch.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:57 AM »
One to avoid...Paul.  Starts out funny, kind of a potty mouthed ET, but takes an extremely dark turn when it just turns into an anti-Christian bash fest.  Setting up those red herrings and being "edgy" shootin' them down.  Checked out the "stars" and the woman who played the Red Herring is that Glee airhead with the Sarah Palin fetish.  Explains it all.  Just avoid this one.

Thinking of that Big Hollywood article about why the trash from Hollywood are having such a tough time...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
Agreed, Paul stunk on ice...I think Jesse Ventura must have been assisting the screenwriting of those anti-Christian screeds!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:35 AM »
We watched " Cowboys and Aliens" last night. It delivered what one would expect from a movie called "Cowboys and Aliens". It didn't suck, the idea was a good one, the character development left a lot to be desired, but on the whole, worth watching on DVD or Blueray.

Good.  That one should be in my mailbox when I get home.  Get rid of the bad taste from Paul.  

Little Big Soldier

Pretty decent if you don't mind reading your movies.  Now that Jackie Chan is getting to old to break his body every movie he makes  ::laughonfloor:: he's been more back in Hong Kong and China making slightly more serious movies, and having more control over content, rather then getting chewed up and spit out by the Hollywood machine.  And in my household it's the best of both worlds.  I like all things Jackie, my wife likes all things Leehom Wang (a second generation American who went back to Taiwan to make his career.)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
I got sucked into a chick-flick a few nights ago that was actually pretty hilarious. It was called "You Again", starring Kristin Bell (adorable blond who played "Elle Bishop" the evil lightning girl on "Heroes"), Jamie Lee Curtis, and Sigourney Weaver.

Bell plays "Marni", a pretty, successful businesswoman who has issues because she was an ugly duckling in high school. Her brother brings home his new fiance Joanna (uber-hot actress Odette Annable), and whaddaya know; it's Marni's old nemesis - the beautiful popular girl who tormented her to the point of misery. And to top it off, her high school enemy either does not recognize her, or is pretending not to recognize her - you don't find out until later which it is for sure, so the comedy that ensues is hilarious as the two of them spar with innuendo and passive-aggressiveness, all the while Marni is trying not to let her brother know anything is amiss.

Of course Joanna is charming and beautiful, so Marni's mother (played by Curtis), father, and little brother are about as smitten with her as her brother who is engaged to her. Marni keeps trying to dig and probe and cast doubt, and her family doesn't even recognize it. Finally her mother does sense something's wrong with Marni, and spends a chunk of the film talking Marni down from her agitated state, telling her that there's nothing wrong, that the past is the past, and that she should let it go.

Then Joanna's super-rich aunt (Sigourney Weaver) who's paying for the wedding shows up at the home to discuss wedding plans with the family, and wouldn't you know it; Weaver and Curtis were high school nemeses, and the comedy starts all over again as all four of these women spar with one another.

Not a great film by any stretch. The tidy conflict resolution at the end is way simplistic. But the comedic dialogue throughout is really good. If you enjoyed "The Birdcage" with Robin Williams for the constant double-entendre and people trying to lie their way through uncomfortable conversations in order to avoid revealing the truth, this film has a similar frenetic feel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:34:38 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
"...starring Kristin Bell (adorable blond who played "Elle Bishop" the evil lightning girl on "Heroes")"

I liked her better as Veronica Mars.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
One more thing regarding Dark Shadows...

...it's coming out in a boxed DVD set in a few weeks...all 1225 episodes...discounted to $420 so probably not for everyone. My wife would wonder about my sanity if I ordered it. Frankly, so would I.

I will wait for the movie instead.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
I liked the show as a kid, but not $420 worth.

BTW, does it escape anyone's attention that "420" is a direct and unmistakable reference to smoking pot?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
Well, actually it's $419.99 and no, I had never heard of that one before.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
Me either.  Damn old hippies and their code .........  ;)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
 Never ever smoked it so I didn't have any idea about 419.99/420.00 either.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Well, actually it's $419.99 and no, I had never heard of that one before.

Oh, well forget it then. $419.99 is not a reference to smoking pot.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
I thought maybe you were saying a lid cost $420.

But no, did not hear that before.

But my rebel days are about 30+ years ago, so no surprise there!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
Okay, new trailer for "The Amazing Spiderman."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Ya know, the Spiderman trailer looks cool, and I like superhero movies just fine. But it really is a sad testament to the lack of imagination coming out of Hollywood that they are doing a reboot of a three-film series that only debuted a decade ago, and whose last installment was in theaters a mere 4 years ago.

Aside from 3D, special effects haven't advanced enough to far surpass the other films, which all had excellent special effects. The Peter Parker/Spiderman story as told by Sam Raimi is still fresh in everyone's mind.

So unless it's a radical reboot ala the "Dark Knight" movies vs the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer/George Clooney "Batman" movies, there doesn't seem to be any reason at all to reboot the Spiderman series from scratch.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
Act of Valor hits the screens this Friday (24th) -

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/12952291/secretive-navy-seals-take-starring-role-in-new-film/

I like how the Pentagon was miffed the SEALs went outside normal channels to do this, but the Pentagon ends up endorsing it anyway, then sends word out to not do that again.  Obviously these guys want to get their point across in this film, which I am guessing is perhaps the tightness of their exclusive fraternity more than anything, so I will be seeing it.  I like how instead of credits they list naval special warfare troops killed since the attacks of 9-11-11.

::USA::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »
Saw Act of Valor yesterday.  I think those who are giving it bad reviews miss the point.  This is not a Hollywood blockbuster action adventure filled with dramatic acting and dazzling CGI effects and girls running around half naked like in video games.  It is a realistic look at the life our elite warriors live and in that spirit it achieved its purpose.  If that interests you go see it, if it doesn't, stay home.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
Saw Act of Valor yesterday.  I think those who are giving it bad reviews miss the point.  This is not a Hollywood blockbuster action adventure filled with dramatic acting and dazzling CGI effects and girls running around half naked like in video games.  It is a realistic look at the life our elite warriors live and in that spirit it achieved its purpose.  If that interests you go see it, if it doesn't, stay home.

Of course those giving it bad reviews miss the point. It's purpose was a glimpse into the lives of those brave souls who protect us...many times with thier lives. This is not Tropic Thunder. I found it very emotional and there were not many dry eyes in the theater.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.