Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229552 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
Saw Act of Valor yesterday.  I think those who are giving it bad reviews miss the point.  This is not a Hollywood blockbuster action adventure filled with dramatic acting and dazzling CGI effects and girls running around half naked like in video games.  It is a realistic look at the life our elite warriors live and in that spirit it achieved its purpose.  If that interests you go see it, if it doesn't, stay home.

Of course those giving it bad reviews miss the point. It's purpose was a glimpse into the lives of those brave souls who protect us...many times with thier lives. This is not Tropic Thunder. I found it very emotional and there were not many dry eyes in the theater.

The closing was perfect.  My theater was dead quiet at the end, you could hear a pin drop.  Message received.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
The Fighter
Starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale.

Not just another boxing movie.

I can't say enough about this film. The story is true and interesting. The characters are believable and multi-faceted.

Mark Wahlberg has made some less than stellar decisions when it comes to choosing roles. But I think he usually turns in a solid performance. He's not a great actor, but he has film star appeal, and he doesn't suck. When he's in a good movie, he pulls it off, and he does so here, with perhaps the best role of his career.

But Christian Bale. Wow. I think this guy is among the best actors alive today, and this role as a likable emaciated crack addict boxing has-been is among his best ever if not the very best. This role takes him decisively out of the movie star category and places him in the great actors of all time category. See this film, if for no other reason, just to see excellence on the part of Christian Bale.

A little treat at the end is a sign-off by the real brothers upon which the story is based as the credits roll. In that moment it becomes apparent that Wahlberg's character was clearly embellished for the sake of film. But Bale's character is so spot-on with the genuine appearance, demeanor, and speech patterns of the real guy it's almost creepy if it wasn't so brilliant.

See it, see it, see it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
The Fighter
Starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale.

Not just another boxing movie.

I can't say enough about this film. The story is true and interesting. The characters are believable and multi-faceted.

Mark Wahlberg has made some less than stellar decisions when it comes to choosing roles. But I think he usually turns in a solid performance. He's not a great actor, but he has film star appeal, and he doesn't suck. When he's in a good movie, he pulls it off, and he does so here, with perhaps the best role of his career.

But Christian Bale. Wow. I think this guy is among the best actors alive today, and this role as a likable emaciated crack addict boxing has-been is among his best ever if not the very best. This role takes him decisively out of the movie star category and places him in the great actors of all time category. See this film, if for no other reason, just to see excellence on the part of Christian Bale.

A little treat at the end is a sign-off by the real brothers upon which the story is based as the credits roll. In that moment it becomes apparent that Wahlberg's character was clearly embellished for the sake of film. But Bale's character is so spot-on with the genuine appearance, demeanor, and speech patterns of the real guy it's almost creepy if it wasn't so brilliant.

See it, see it, see it.

Put this on my watch list....I've head bale was excellent in the film.....Heath Ledger like in his portrail of the Joker.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
I guess my last full paragraph above is a spoiler of sorts. I didn't intend that. But since I did it, I'll expand a bit. Nobody dies in this film. It's just a story about life. There is no good vs evil narrative. Refreshingly, there is also no Hollywood moral equivalence, blurring the lines between good and evil. The only antagonist in this film is the inertia of family dysfunction. All the characters have good sides and bad sides, just like real people. It is an extremely bleak ride, but it doesn't leave you that way.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »
Just finished watching The Fighter.

This was an excellent movie.
Bale probably should have gotten an academy award.
It's hard to believe that's Batman

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
You guys manage to see a hell of a lot of new movies . I think I manage to see a new movie once about every five years . I must be more disengaged than I thought ! ::eyes::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
For actually getting off my butt and going to a theater it might not be more than twice a year for me...sometimes once...and 99% of the time it is the earliest matinee time possible so as to deny them full price.

I guess I am not as disengaged as SH!   ;D

Anyway...anybody see Battleship?

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
For actually getting off my butt and going to a theater it might not be more than twice a year for me...sometimes once...and 99% of the time it is the earliest matinee time possible so as to deny them full price.

Watched Battleship today. Entertaining flick. Don't want to spoil it, but really enjoyed the old war guys.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2012, 08:05:14 AM »

Watched Battleship today. Entertaining flick. Don't want to spoil it, but really enjoyed the old war guys.

Thanks.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
My oldest daughter and I watched Battle Los Angeles yesterday.  Enjoyed it.  Sometimes you just need to see a lot of stuff get shot and blown up to sleep well.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
My oldest daughter and I watched Battle Los Angeles yesterday.  Enjoyed it.  Sometimes you just need to see a lot of stuff get shot and blown up to sleep well.

So that's why I didn't sleep so well last night!    ::facepalm::

;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »
Who mentioned "Priest"?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »
Who mentioned "Priest"?

That was me. You watch it?

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
Who mentioned "Priest"?

That was me. You watch it?

Not yet.  We bought it this evening.  I looked around here for a review and have missed yours.  Would you accommodate me with a short review?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »
Sure thing.

Here are my comments from earlier in this thread.

It's like I said in the one comment, it's a "post-apocalyptic sci-fi/neo-vampire flick". The vampires are beasts, not people. The world is desolate, desperate. The "Priests" are like religious super-soldiers, remnant from the vampire wars, exiled now that the vampire war is over, and the Church reigns supreme - except that the vampires are not vanquished, and have a new leader...

I won't say more. I think the best analogy is the one I made earlier. If you like the flavor of the "Underworld" films, or perhaps the "Riddick" films, this one roughly falls into the same category of taste for me.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
Aw, and you even linked to your comments!  Thank you very much for making the effort, IDP; much appreciated.

Every couple-three months we hit the WalMart video section and see what there is of interest.  I couldn't remember who (or if) recommended, so we included it on a hunch.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
Looks like Prometheus at the drive in tonight

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Saw an interview of Marcus Luttrell at Blackfive about his new book, near the end he mentions the filming of Lone Survivor starts in September and Mark Wahlberg is starring.  I hope they stay true to the real story.

http://www.blackfive.net/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »
Sure thing.

Here are my comments from earlier in this thread.

It's like I said in the one comment, it's a "post-apocalyptic sci-fi/neo-vampire flick". The vampires are beasts, not people. The world is desolate, desperate. The "Priests" are like religious super-soldiers, remnant from the vampire wars, exiled now that the vampire war is over, and the Church reigns supreme - except that the vampires are not vanquished, and have a new leader...

I won't say more. I think the best analogy is the one I made earlier. If you like the flavor of the "Underworld" films, or perhaps the "Riddick" films, this one roughly falls into the same category of taste for me.

My only complaint is it sure seemed like a short flick. Never did hear if they have any plans for more.

I rented Safe House the other night, Denzel Washington & Ryan Reynolds, was a decent flick, the ending was predictable, but worth the nominal rental fee.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
They sure left the door wide open for a "Priest" sequel, but I would expect that whether we see one or not will depend on DVD sales, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a box office smash hit.

My hope for this becoming a franchise again compares to "Underworld". The original wasn't huge at the box office, but word of mouth and the "cool" factor were enough to justify sequels.

- Thomas Jefferson