Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 234793 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
They sure left the door wide open for a "Priest" sequel, but I would expect that whether we see one or not will depend on DVD sales, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a box office smash hit.

My hope for this becoming a franchise again compares to "Underworld". The original wasn't huge at the box office, but word of mouth and the "cool" factor were enough to justify sequels.

I wasn't overly impressed.  It wasn't bad, just nothing special.   ::whatgives::

We saw "The King's Speech" last night and IT was very good.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
This looks interesting, same people that did Act of Valor.

The Prototype Official Teaser Trailer 2013 [HD] #1 - Andrew Will Sci-Fi Movie Trailer
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »
Roger Corman's Gas-s-s-s hurt my brain. I saw "end of the world" and "hippies" and just clicked (after all I was already 1 and a half whiskeys in, might as well go for three. Besides , Corman is a MST3K favorite, and if it contains the phrase "the end of the world" I am pretty much into it-- its gotta be better than what we are facing.

It's an irreverent comedy about a noxious gas that wipes out everybody- at least in the US much as we can figure- who's over the age of 25. Party-time! In what appears to be, in the premise, as a slight twist on Corman's own Last Woman on Earth, it's an epic of low-budget proportions, a rampant fiasco of kids in hippie-wear (or not as case turns out) and the Darwinian struggles that take place as the roughnecks, jocks and bikers-on-country-clubs face off against those darn 'commie-anarchists'.....
The second is a little more subtle, which seems to be a play on his film the Trip, as in the psychedelic-type scenes (i.e. dancing to Country Joe and the Fish) with the camera zooming in and out fast, lots of hand-held, etc). Corman's gone through this all before, so it has to be questioned: how much of this is tongue in cheek, and how much is just almost shoddy film-making? Can't be sure. At least there was consistent chuckling to be had, especially at seeing a young Bud Cort in a cowboy hat, and, of all people, Talia Shire!

The Edgar Allan Poe on a Motorcycle is about a Steampunk as you can get - before Steampunk was invented. The 42 on the Football player jersey stood out, being 6 years before hitchhikers, and I couldn't shake the feeling this was Zombieland: circa 1970. This is probably a far better prediction of what the  liberal Apocalypse we are expecting and facing will  look like: Imagine Mad Max meets Hair. There is even a woman who decides to just not have a baby- when she is very pregnant. Did I mention it hurt my brain?

I was born in 1970.  Was it really this screwed up then? Its amazing that we even got another 40 years out of it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
No, it wasn't this screwed up in '70, but it was escalating due to the 60s.  Of course it hurt your brain and what was beginning to be seen was hurting a lot of peoples' brains then ... of what they were permitted to see.  Some just tuned it out; they had kids to raise, jobs to do, houses to paint and what they watched on the "news" left them a bit confused and bewildered because what they were permitted to see was not what they'd grown up with, and they weren't given the whole story, thank you, Mr. Cronkite.  The parents were about the age you are now, Weisshaupt; my mother was 37.  Do you know how young that seems to me now?

I was 16 in 1970, just starting Senior year in high school, still wearing nice clothes, skirts a fashionable but decent length, wondering what the hell that smell was wafting out of the girl's bathroom, and what they hell were these weird kids doing sitting in their tie-dyed rags on the dirty floor in the hallways.

And the moolies were strutting their Afro-ed selves around the place, looking for someone or something on which to vent their communist-inspired wrath, although they didn't realize who was stoking their undeserved sense of deprivation -- most of them were from low-to-middle class families living decent lives in a predominantly Jewish town, which meant the schools were still good and the spirit of "giving" came straight from the Temples, and the Church, and for their benefit should anyone be hard up enough to accept charity.  Because a majority of the teachers were Jewish, "tolerances" were allowed for those who had been "damaged by society".

I wasn't interested then in diagnosing the weird and the "tolerant", and I had places to go -- my own apartment at 19 -- a job and a newfound sense of freedom.  So I went, went, went.

Around eleven years later, at 30, I stood still long enough to assess what was going on around me, and didn't recognize a freakin thing. 

No one told me when to run; I missed the starting gun.

It wasn't until 45 that I began looking into WHAT HAPPENED?! and with the advent of the internet, at 50, 51, 52 I began to understand.  Not what happened, but what had been done.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:13:16 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:54 AM »
Am I mistaken or does this sound like "Wild In The Streets" ?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
I was 18 in 70 and in my last year of High(no pun)School and got by slapping every idiot that asked me for spare change or flashed a peace sighn at me. God help me I hated Hippies and all they stood for.

But it did get me a little satisfaction in showing them that if you don't work you need spare change and a bath and if you're too passive you were open to a slap in the mouth.

I always worked since age 6(long story) and I wasn never too passive,Passive pisses me off.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Just saw The Amazing Spiderman last night at the Drive In

I liked it.

There were some variations from the traditional Spiderman legend.
No Mary Jane or Jamison.
However, the new love interest is a hottie

His photography was there a little in the beginning then never to be seen again.

It's a little darker than the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies. Sort of like the newer Dark Knight varies from the old Batman movies.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Watched "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" last night, on cable.

It was gritty as hell, with full-frontal nudity and explicit sex. Some a bit gratuitous, but not out of context, as sexual abuse is integral to the story.

It was an intriguing story that required attention, thought, and delivered surprises. Daniel Craig is hired by a wealthy man (Christopher Plummer) to investigate the disappearance of his sister 40 years earlier. Craig is aided by a young pierced and tattooed street-wise computer hacker.

I liked it a lot, and want to see it again, as my attention was distracted several times during the course of the movie. (Downside of TV movies, with no DVR.)
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
I have "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" on the DVR (you have to get one of those) and I will be seeing it sometime soon.

I came upon this tonight and I will probably see it at some point when it comes out on DVD. Not that I was ever a fan of the guy (damned if I didn't date more than a few girls who were nuts about him) but I remember him quite distinctly from the seventies and this documentary is about him turning himself around and becoming a decent person...something that I find very interesting regardless of who the subject is. He was a very severe drunk and drug abuser.

I looked it up on RottenTomatoes and it is very highly rated by both film critics and audiences.

From what I can see on the trailer and what I can read in this interview I think that I would actually like the guy now.

EDIT: Now, I did see this in the theater when it came out (1974)...Brian DePalma & Paul Williams, who would have thought it possible? I haven't seen it since and I have to wonder how it holds up. Still, RTs gives it a 94% rating.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:05:41 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
Among my favorite of his roles...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #250 on: July 09, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Williams always gave me the creeps - even when he wasn't being a monkey.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »

Good writer.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
The 50 Best Movies You've Never Seen

Although I have seen ten of them. Plus there were two that I knew about and wanted to see but haven't gotten around to them yet.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
The 50 Best Movies You've Never Seen

0 out of 50.

Whaddoeye win, a lifetime subscription to Netflix?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
I have seen exactly 6% of this list and I think it is going to stay that way for quite a while...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
I've seen 8 of those movies. ::unknowncomic::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
I've seen 8 of those movies. ::unknowncomic::

Me? not even that many. And I'm hard-pressed to want to seek out any of the others - even for free.
Just jaded I suppose...

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
I've seen three of those. "Fly Away Home", "The Iron Giant", and "Moon". All were pretty decent for completely different reasons.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Hey, who's up for a pretentious big budget quasi sci-fi film?

Adapted from the best-selling book of the same name by British author David Mitchell, “Cloud Atlas” is told through the interwoven lives of six characters throughout six time periods, from Belgium in the 1930s to present day London to a futuristic and dystopian Korea and beyond. If it sounds complicated, it is. We read the 528-page book and found ourselves a bit confused at times.

Each of the six storylines are represented in the trailer, including Tom Hanks (in what seems to be an orange-blond wig), Ben Whishaw as a young British composer and Korean actress Doona Bae as a futuristic waitress named Sonmi-451.

Big name ensemble cast? Check

Three directors because one isn't enough for some reason? Check.

Ridiculous budget of somewhere north of $100,000,000? Check.

This could be a huge hit but I'm betting that it will probably be the high brow version of recent mega flop "John Carter."

Here is the long ass trailer...

The movie is adapted from a best selling novel (that I had never heard of). The author sums it up thusly:

"All of the [leading] characters are reincarnations of the same soul ... identified by a birthmark. ... The "cloud" refers to the ever-changing manifestations of the "atlas", which is the fixed human nature. ... The book's theme is predacity ... individuals prey on individuals, groups on groups, nations on nations."

It's really hard to pull off the deep thinking pointy headed intellectual stuff on the big screen. Usually it comes off as either boring or confusing. This one looks like it's going for the confusing route.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:22:09 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »
I occasionally see these things in the collage that is put up at the end of a youtube video. I've seen a few but before today I hadn't bothered to look up the actual website. There are over a hundred of these little animated satire pieces at the site. Here is a sample of "How The Return Of The Jedi Should Have Ended."