Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 232479 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
I remember the old Aladdin cartoon has muslims as bad guys. There was also a pre 911 flick I believe called Executive Decision where Muslims attack NYC. I remember it because I had a large distaste for towelheads even then.

I'm sure there are more.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/lincoln-trailer-spielberg-daniel-day-lewis-dreamworks-disney-video/

I wonder if when Mary Todd Lincoln walks into Ford’s theater to the sound of applause, she’ll say, “You like me, you really like me.”
Comment by Norma Rae

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
Okay, well, "The Cabin In The Woods" came out on DVD/pay-per-view this week. I had purposefully avoided reading any of the detailed reviews with spoilers so that I could experience it first hand.

It was pretty good. I am not a huge fan of the horror movie genre but I do have more than a passing acquaintance with it and I was able to recognize more than a few of the movie references.

The humor was all over the place from inside baseball type jokes for the horror movie fans to office stuff...my favorite was the "Am I on speakerphone?" joke.

It really was true, too, about the character archetypes (the athlete, the whore, the scholar, the fool and the virgin)...they can be found in just about every movie of the genre. Heck, even Scooby Doo had them. I won't reveal anything else about the movie in case you haven't seen it.

Anyway, I was glad that I didn't ruin it for myself by peaking before I saw the film. It wasn't great but it was good. Well worth renting.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:09:28 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
I also saw "Snow White & The Huntsman" this weekend on pay-per-view. This was a movie that my twelve-year-old daughter wanted to see. We had (against my better judgement) already seen the atrocious "Mirror, Mirror" earlier, a movie that I will not review and can scarcely stomach admitting having seen. The huntsman movie was vastly superior, in my opinion.

First of all, it is a serious story...no real jokes at all. Suspense, adventure and drama but no jokes. The evil queen is pretty darned evil. Secondly, the Snow White character is more heroic than heroine...sort of like the Alice character in its most recent Tim Burton incarnation. Yes, Snow White is actually wearing knight's armor and swinging a sword by film's end. And the whole Prince Charming thing is turned on its head, as well.

Anyway, the writers obviously take quite a bit of liberty with the story that most of us are familiar with but they manage to do it in a way that is not obnoxious.

The acting revolves around three main characters. Snow White is played by the dreary girl who is love struck by octogenarian vampires in the Twilight franchise. In this movie she is put to much better purpose and unlike her character in Twilight I wasn't actively rooting for her to die a hideous death. The evil queen is played by Charlize Theron and she does it for all it's worth...completely over-the-top full on evil. A bad character that you can really appreciate for sheer badness. The huntsman is played by Thor and he does a passable job, as well.

There are also dwarves. mrs. trapeze tells me that every last one of them were full sized actors (I'll take her word for it since I care almost nothing about such things..I would just as soon set most Hollywood actors on fire as look at them) so they must have employed that same technique that was used to make the hobbits short in "The Lord of the Rings" movies. They were the closest thing to comic relief in the movie. But the humor, such as it was, came from the fact that you really didn't want to face down dwarves because they were a vicious pack of midgets who would rather kill you in as violent a fashion as possible and then sort of make small talk about it afterwords.

Unlike most movies you really can't spoil this one...everyone knows how it turns out...the queen is killed...Snow White gets poisoned by an apple and then revived by a kiss...and so on and so on. The ending of this movie, though, is somewhat ambiguous. You aren't really sure what happens after the grand finale which is sort of reminiscent of the finale of "Star Wars" episode 4 where there is a big celebration in a throne room kind of ceremony. And the stupid, "what do you think happens next?" ending was really the only part that left me annoyed.

But overall it was a good movie. I wouldn't say to run out and rent it necessarily but I would probably watch it if it came out on a free channel next year.

But compared to the godawful "Mirror, Mirror" it was like Academy Award material.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2012, 12:50:16 AM »
Finally, I saw the original "The Flight of the Phoenix" movie this weekend. This was the 1965 film with Jimmy Stewart and several other well known actors whose names I won't bother to list because I'm lazy and don't feel like looking them up to get the spelling correct (two of them are George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine).

I like this movie on a couple of levels.

First, this was from the era when actors didn't actively hate America, Republicans and conservatives. They mostly hated communists and heck, some of them even ratted them out when given half a chance. That's good because then I can enjoy the movie without despising the people in it.

Then there is the sheer ridiculousness of the story and how the producers really make you buy into the premise: That a bunch of lunkheads who crash land in the middle of a north African desert tear apart their plane and build a new one to effect their escape from certain death. It's totally nuts and yet you find yourself wondering how on earth they are going to pull it off.

One of the things that I didn't know was the fact that a stunt/test pilot bought the farm while it was being filmed. They had his name prominently featured at the end so I looked it up. Here is the quote from wikipedia:

A famous racing/stunt/movie pilot and collector of warplanes, Paul Mantz was flying the Tallmantz Phoenix P-1, the machine that was "made of the wreckage", in front of the cameras on the morning of July 8, 1965. He was performing touch-and-go landings, and on one touchdown the fuselage buckled. The movie model broke apart and cartwheeled, killing Mantz and seriously injuring stuntman Bobby Rose on board.[3]
Although principal photography was completed on August 13, 1965, in order to complete filming, a North American O-47A (N4725V) from the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Claremont, California was modified and used as a flying Phoenix stand-in. With the canopy removed, a set of skids attached to the main landing gear as well as ventral fin added to the tail, it sufficed as more-or-less a visual lookalike. Filming using the O-47A was completed in October/November 1965. It appears in the last flying scenes, painted to look like the earlier Phoenix P-1.
The final production utilized a mix of footage that included the O-47A, the "cobbled-together" Phoenix and Phoenix P-1.
The final credit on the screen was, "It should be remembered that Paul Mantz ... a fine man, and a brilliant flyer, gave his life in the making of this film ..."

They don't make movies like that anymore. Not with CGI to do all of the heavy lifting.

This film reminds me of "12 Angry Men" set in the desert except the men aren't just all pissed off at each other but are pretty much doomed to die, too. Plus, Henry Fonda isn't there making an ass out of himself. BTW...for further exposition on how ridiculous "12 Angry Men" is you can read this article, too. It should rank right up there with another famous and equally ridiculous legal drama, "A Few Good Men," which is more Aaron Sorkin liberal evil US military fantasy crapola. I can't stand Aaron Sorkin but that's another posting all by itself.

"The Flight of the Phoenix" is just good old fashioned drama/adventure made by people who knew how to do it. I especially like the way the film opens with the plane already in trouble, the credits splashing across the screen as the characters are freaking out. There was a sort of updated version of this theme (no, not the remake) that came out a while back with Liam Neeson and wolves in the Yukon wilderness. It didn't end very well for the characters and wasn't as good a story, I thought, as this one.

Worth watching when you see it on free television.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Tonight I get to watch an oldie but a goodie titled Ten Little Indians that was really the basis for a lot of movies where a group of people get lured into a secluded home and one by on come up dead. Haven't seen in in over 20 years but I remember it being a puzzler to the end.

I don't remember the ending which is a good thing.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Wasn't that on last night on TCM?
Or did you dvr it?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
Wasn't that on last night on TCM?
Or did you dvr it?

I had to DVR it because of the time it came on,too late for my old butt.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #308 on: September 24, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Only mentioned in case your "tired old butt" was a confused one.
I should have known better

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #309 on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Only mentioned in case your "tired old butt" was a confused one.
I should have known better

As they say down here,might could be.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »
So I watched the "Dark Shadows" movie on pay-per-view tonight.

It was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a farce, a comedy...as the trailers led me to believe it was. It was, bizarrely, played mostly straight.

I say bizarrely because, well, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Those two are not exactly known for drama. Unless you count "Ed Wood," which, as drama, sucked.

It has some parts that could be considered comedy. These are mostly centered around the fish-out-of-water moments experienced by the 1750's Barnabas Collins waking up in 1972. But most of these are not funny at all and those that are...are merely (and vaguely) amusing. There are no laugh out loud jokes or bits. None.

The music is mostly good...pop and rock from the early seventies. A couple of missteps where the music is from 1973 instead of '72. Alice Cooper does a cameo with a performance at a social ball at the Collinwood manor and he is, as usual, quite good.

And there are killings. Quite a few, actually, with lots of blood. But not in a way that would qualify this as a true horror movie. It isn't.

There is a sort of a weird romance thing between Barnabas and the governess, Victoria. But it's more weird than romantic.

In short, and I do not want to really do much more than a brief review, this movie is a wretched mixed up mess. It does not know what it is or where it's going. It's a nuisance to watch...mostly boring. It has no soul.

I did not like it. At all.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:56:04 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2012, 12:53:51 AM »
I had recorded "Goon" on DVR a few days ago and watched it this evening. There aren't a lot of movies about hockey. Lots and lots of movies about football and baseball. More than a few about basketball. But not a whole lot of movies about hockey.

That said, one of my favorite movies and one of the best movies about hockey is "Slapshot." If you haven't seen it you should. Like all good sports movies you don't have to actually like hockey to enjoy "Slapshot" because it's about more than hockey. Plus, it's extremely funny...

I spent a healthy amount of my youth in Canada and "Slapshot" is nostalgic in so many ways. I remember when nobody wore helmets. Nobody. The goalies had the face masks that the "Jason" character from "Friday The 13th" wore but no helmets. Heck, there was a goalie for the Minnesota North Stars (before they went to Dallas) that didn't wear a face mask at all. And then there were the fights. The NHL fights of those days (early 1970's) were epic. Bench clearing brawls could be expected several times a season and there would be one or two fights per game some times. So that's one of the reasons that I enjoyed "Slapshot" so much...it was goofy, funny and yet, pretty realistic about the way that hockey was before the NHL cracked down on fighting and everyone started wearing helmets..

"Goon" is like that, too. It's funny, has a better story than "Slapshot" actually, and is (I suppose) similarly realistic in its portrayal of minor league hockey. The film's namesake is a bar bouncer, a nice (and kind of Forrest Gumpish) guy who is gifted in brawling. I mean really, really gifted. When a minor league hockey player climbs into the stands to attack his friend, Doug beats him senseless which earns him a tryout for the home town team. Doug then moves up to the next level of minor league play in Halifax where he meets and falls in love with a hockey groupie, a self described slut. So there's this oddball romance thing where Doug loves her but she has to come to terms with him. By the end of the film they are a couple and he has inspired his team to overcome their mediocre play and get into the playoffs.

There is a lot (no, really..a LOT) of profanity in this movie so if this bothers you then you should probably not see it. It is based on the real life story of Doug Smith who had never skated a day in his life before the age of 19 and somehow managed to get a championship ring in the #2 hockey league.

Anyway, I was surprised that I liked this film as much as I did. Not surprised that I liked a film about hockey but that, with as few hockey films as there are, this one was very good. It was filled with characters that were completely likable...people that you could sympathize and empathize with...that's always a big plus for me. I hate it when I find myself actively rooting for a character's demise (usually in some gruesome way) because either through bad writing, bad acting or both (see my postings on "Twilight") I just want them dead. Horribly dead. Mangled in a blender dead. And this movie wasn't like that at all so, yippee.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
I liked Slapshot a lot, not the off-ice parts as much (although the Hanson brothers playing with toys and the bus mooning was good), so I'll have to check this out.

The goalie you are thinking of is "The Gump", Gump Worsley.  He played without a mask.  We had Cesare Maniago back then too, and I remember my father taking me to the old Met for games and hoping I saw The Gump in net.
 ;D

Wiki has this entry -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump_Worsley

And I will never forget this quote, one of the better ones I've ever heard, from when The Gump was with the NY Rangers - Asked what team gives him the most trouble his reply was "The NY Rangers"!
 ::hysterical::

ETA - The fun really kicks in closer to the 4 minute mark as the Bruin guy goes past the MN bench...

Boston Bruins vs Minnesota North Stars - Bench Brawl - Literally on the bench

Ahh, the good 'ol days...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:21:37 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
This is one of my favorites which I actually saw on tv when it happened. Ah, hockey night in Canada...good times, good times.

I got to meet one of the great brawlers and greatest ever players, Gordie Howe, not too long after this happened. Got his autograph, of course. Still have it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
And now a salute to one of the most over-rated (or frequently miscast) actors of our lifetime: Kevin Costner.

Costner has a unique acting style. It's basically this...he plays himself in just about every role that he gets. He has the shallowest range of any mega-salary actor that I can think of. Perhaps the most extreme example of CostnerStyle is the 1991 "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" which has Costner playing a more talkative and cheekier version of his "Dances With Wolves" character except that it's in medieval England. Yep, the voice, the mannerisms and just about everything but the script and the setting are the same. Inexplicably, someone or several someones who must include both the producer and director allow Costner to trudge through this role without an English accent. Costner instead sounds exactly like what he is in real life, a native Californian. The movie would have been more accurately titled, "Robin Hood: Prince of Surfer Dudes." They may as well have cast Eddie Murphy for the lead. It would have made as much sense. Maybe more. Also inexplicably, this movie made a lot of money. Go figure.

Here's the thing...Costner isn't (always) a bad actor but he is cast for a lot of roles (maybe 90%+) that he is ill-suited for. When he is cast correctly it usually comes off very well. For instance, "Field of Dreams" is more or less about a couple of grown up hippies who somehow end up owning a farm and, due to consuming way too much acid in the sixties they end up seeing invisible depression era baseball players. They must have removed the scenes where the hippie couple dump several hundred gallons of LSD into the drinking water of the nearby city so that thousands of other people are forced to share their drug addled hallucination but, hey, editing. Costner is extremely believable in this role and it is one of his best films.

Going the other way, though, Costner is patently ridiculous as the world's savior in both "Waterworld" and "The Postman." In both roles he is essentially wooden and uninspired. Both films are consistently in just about anyone's list of the worst movies ever made and for good reason. Someone must have told Costner that the secret to a "deep and intellectual" role is brooding. So he broods a lot in these movies. Plus he looks wistfully at the sunset. If that's not golden I don't know what is. Side note: "The Postman" is ridiculous on so many levels. Costner's character comes across a skeleton with a USPS uniform on and decides to strip it off of the bones and wear it. Sure. Maybe that uniform was made of some new non-rotting material but I'm guessing it wasn't. A lot more likely that some kids found a USPS uniform and thought it would be funny to dress up the skeleton. And then there is Tom Petty as the "mayor" of Bridge City. What on earth were they thinking? And they actually hint that Petty is playing himself 'cause you know that's what anyone would do...elect a rock star as your post apocalyptic town mayor. Sure. "The Postman" is bad. It's bad on dozens and dozens of levels. Waterworld is horrible, too, but "The Postman" just goes out of its way to insult your intelligence and be as offensive to rational thought as humanly possible. Total success there, though.

Actually, Costner seems to do pretty well in westerns. There was the aforementioned "Dances With Wolves," but there was also the very satisfying "Open Range" where he gets to do a lot of shooting of bad guys and ends up getting the girl in the end. And he was okay in Silverado.

Not that he is incapable of making a bad western. He had the title role in "Wyatt Earp" where he sucked hind tit. Plus, it was seriously overshadowed by the vastly superior Earp film, "Tombstone" where Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer were just plain outstanding.

One of my favorite Kevin Costner roles was where he played Alex in "The Big Chill." Probably his best work of all time. Incredible acting in that one. Should have got an Oscar. Oh, well.

Costner's first real big opportunity, though, was playing Elliot Ness in "The Untouchables" in which he was not merely bland but he was instead very bland. Put Costner in any film next to a real actor, in this case DeNiro and Connery, and he is immediately and automatically reduced to what he really is, a decent supporting actor. I never appreciate it when the people in charge of putting a film together allow the talent to be inexplicably mismatched (think Keaton/Nicholson in Burton's "Batman"). This is yet another one of those Costner film moments where you find yourself asking, "What were they thinking?" It would be one thing if the role had never been filled by anyone or if it had been previously filled by someone whose bland/boredom ranking was somehow greater than Costner's but as most of us know that just isn't the case here. When I think of Elliot Ness I'm thinking Robert Stack every single time, not Kevin Costner.  You know what role Costner could do where he would be way more interesting than the original lead? He would be a much better Joe Friday than Jack Webb ever was in "Dragnet." Of course, my dog could be a more interesting Joe Friday than Jack Webb, too.

Roles in which Costner's signature bland acting seems to work well: "JFK" (yet another film where no one seemed to care about Costner's non-attempt to get into a regional character...Louisianan's and residents of New Orleans most definitely have unique accents) and "The Bodyguard" were both films where he played rigid, methodical, boring guys who occasionally do something interesting. More recently he played a very boring and not even particularly scary serial killer in "Mr. Brooks."

Never afraid to stretch as an actor...a boring and one dimensional actor...Costner has even managed to inject himself into sappy chick flick fare such as "Dragonfly" and the thoroughly noxious "Message in a Bottle." As bad as these movies were when they were released they have at least been surpassed in obnoxiousness by the execrable "Twilight" movies. Not that that's a recommendation to see them...it isn't.

So there it is...my Costner rant. With very few exceptions I just can't stand the guy as an actor.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:29:45 AM by trapeze »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #315 on: November 22, 2012, 01:44:42 AM »

Hey, he carried Cheech Marin and Don Johnson in "Tin Cup".

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #316 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:48 AM »

One of the things that I didn't know was the fact that a stunt/test pilot bought the farm while it was being filmed.

I saw it during it's first run in the theaters . Also LIFE magazine had a story about Mantz's death while working on the film with stills from the sequence with the plane breaking up . As a side note , Hardy Kruger , who plays the "engineer" over-seeing the construction of the plane was one of the many unfortunate Hitler Jugen forced ( at the age of about 15 ) into combat during the closing days of WWII . Luckily he was able to surrender to allied troops before anything bad happened to him .

RickZ

« Reply #317 on: November 22, 2012, 05:09:25 AM »
I thought Costner's best movie was No Way Out.  But then, it had Gene Hackman so take that for what it's worth. I hated the Clint Eastwood directed A Perfect World but I enjoyed Bull Durham

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
This is one of my favorites which I actually saw on tv when it happened. Ah, hockey night in Canada...good times, good times.

I got to meet one of the great brawlers and greatest ever players, Gordie Howe, not too long after this happened. Got his autograph, of course. Still have it.

I ran into him at the airport in winsor locks and I too have one.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Costner has a unique acting style. It's basically this...he plays himself in just about every role that he gets.

Why not? It worked so well for John Wayne. And it really did work well for Wayne. Maybe it was just that he got complimentary roles to play but I think it was more than that. He performed his roles with a casual warmth that was comfortable like a well-worn pair of shoes. Kostner is more like that pair of shoes you bought at Walmart that never fit right and gave you a blister.

I can't recall if there was a single JW movie where I bought into the suspension of disbelief - he was still JW all the way through - but with JW movies I didn't care. Probably because I admired the man. Probably because he was admirable.

You mentioned Postman and Waterworld - two of my favorite movies.....to loathe. I wanted to like each of them. Badly! I thought that the premises of each were really fertile for exploration. I thought they wussed out or went for the low-hanging fruit on both of them, and alienated me in the process. So Kostner was a perfect fit, considering my disappointment.

When it comes to Kostner I have to beckon back to a comment I overheard my gym teach in high school say,

"He isn't bad....he just isn't very good"