Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 233658 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
I think good Costner movies are good in spite of him, not because of him. Even though "Dances with Wolves" was an obvious White man-evil, Red man-good propaganda film, it was a beautifully made film, and the lack of Costner dialogue - reducing the vast majority of his speech to wooden first-person narration - was the saving grace of the film.

The only film I ever saw him act in that I would say he did an OK job as an actor was "Silverado", and his part was smaller, and well before he became the "sex symbol" Kevin Costner.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
Like Silverado a lot, wish they'd make more westerns instead of the3 usual metrosexual tripe and Mulligan's of past classics...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
Yeah, I agree that John Wayne did about the same thing but I do not recall him ever being cast as an Englishman. Using that criteria he was miscast as Davy Crockett in "The Alamo" because no way was he ever going to sound like he was born and raised in Tennessee.

That said, JW seemed to mostly have roles created for him and that worked out pretty well for the most part. You knew what you were getting. Most of those roles were in westerns and since he seemed to be sort of type cast as the heroic cowboy type character there was rarely a bad movie of that genre. Sure, some were not so great but most were acceptable and there were a few that were outstanding. "True Grit" was pretty good. And "The Searchers" was, for a western, really something different for JW...a dark and almost sinister character.

One of my favorite JW movies is not a western. That would be "The Quiet Man" where he was an American of Irish descent who returned to Ireland to discover his heritage. I suppose it's not a coincidence that, like "The Searchers" it was directed by John Ford.

Yet another John Ford western with JW that was both outstanding and showed a non-traditional JW would be "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." Another one of my favorite JW films.

Most of the war movies were not as good. I never did care much for "The Green Berets" which seemed to have a confused and disjointed script...seemed more like a Pentagon propaganda film than a real feature. "In Harm's Way" was a much better film directed by Otto Preminger where JW also gets a decent script and outstanding co-stars to work with. "Sands of Iwo Jima" also presents a different sort of JW character, dark and mean...hard.

Finally, another western, "The Shootist" was much more dramatic than the standard JW cowboy fare. His last film, it echoed JW's own demise as the character struggles with the inevitability of fast approaching death from cancer. Not exactly a traditional western story and a fitting way for JW to end his career.

So, anyway...although I can see the point that JW mostly did play himself I personally wouldn't make the comparison. John Wayne was, in my opinion, a much better actor than Kevin Costner.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Like Silverado a lot, wish they'd make more westerns instead of the3 usual metrosexual tripe and Mulligan's of past classics...

Western's seem to come and go in waves or cycles. We won't have any for a few years and then suddenly there are a handful that all hit the theaters within a short period of time.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #324 on: November 23, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »

So, anyway...although I can see the point that JW mostly did play himself I personally wouldn't make the comparison. John Wayne was, in my opinion, a much better actor than Kevin Costner.

Back in 1988 or '89 Time Magazine ran a cover story on Costner describing him as "the new Gary Cooper" . I had to laugh at first ... And then I had to throw up .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
I can't take it anymore.  Im having nitemares. By decree, Uttering the words "Kevin Costner" in regards to anything artistic is now and will forever be considered hate speech.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Okay, change subject.

I purchased a Roku box the other day and finally got around to installing it last night. Pretty damned incredible little device as some of you may already know but I am going to describe it for those who don't.

Roku is one of many different devices that allow you to stream video (and audio) content onto your television via a high speed internet connection. I will reserve full judgement for a week or two but I have a feeling that I may be cutting back on my satellite subscription in favor of this thing.

First of all the quality of the video is nothing short of amazing. Last night I was streaming an HD television program and I would not have known the difference from my satellite receiver...it was indistinguishable. The same for sound. Now maybe during the next week or two I will see some drop in quality or something. Time will tell. But for right now I am thoroughly impressed with the video. Oh, yeah...this thing is working over my wireless router connection so that makes the quality all the more impressive. Also, as long as I am on first thoughts, the setup was as easy or easier than anything else I have ever had to do with AV. It took about fifteen minutes total. Plug power into the box. Connect the HDMI cable from box to television. Follow the steps  on the screen to connect to the wireless router, set up an account (free) and choose channels. Which leads me to believe that the people who reviewed the thing on Amazon and gave it low marks because they couldn't get the thing to work, well, they are ObamaVoters...total morons. I had a bad HDMI cable and it took me longer to figure out that that was the reason the television wasn't seeing the box than it did to do the actual setup once I switched out the cable.

Available content is not the same story, though...not amazing. Good but not amazing. There are many different "channels" available and some are free and some are not. For instance, Netflix requires an $8/month subscription. There are many hundreds of movies available to stream via Netflix but unfortunately most of them are crap. There are also dozens of network and cable television series available for streaming but none of them are current. For that you have to subscribe to hulu plus which is also about $8/month. Example of what I mean: On Netflix you can watch the first two seasons of "The Walking Dead" but the current season is unavailable. The current season is available on hulu plus. However, not all television series are available on hulu plus in their entirety. So...if you want to see a series from beginning to end and it is still a current show you have to subscribe to both.

Or...you can become a member of Amazon Prime (cheaper at $6.58/month) and rent an entire series. Usually on Amazon the previous episodes are free to Prime members and then you can watch current episodes for a per episode fee. Which seems ridiculous if you can watch them on hulu.com for nothing. Which is okay, I guess if you don't care about watching them on your laptop. To stream to your television you have to shell out for hulu plus. Sorry, there are no simple solutions here but they do all seem to be cheaper than satellite. Of course, there are other benefits to being an Amazon Prime member but I'm not going to go into that here. Amazon does seem to have more free movies (a LOT more) than hulu or Netflix but, like the other two, most of them are crap.

There are other free channels on Roku (and other devices) like Crackle which also have free movies available to stream. Crackle is owned by Sony so that is the source of their movie selections.

Roku and other streamers are not a full substitute for cable or satellite, though, because they lack (so far) the advantage of live streaming. In other words, you aren't going to be able to watch NASCAR or the US Open or live news programming from FNC or CNN. Perhaps some time down the road but not now. And so long as that is the case I will probably not be able to dump satellite completely. Exception: There are subscriptions available that allow you to watch MLB, NBA and NHL. Haven't checked them out but I am expecting the fees to be similar to what cable or satellite charge for the same thing. So, I guess they can do live streaming but it's expensive and as of now does not include news.

There are a LOT of channels available. Some of them are bizarre. I have a feeling that these streaming channels are probably the new home of what used to be public access channels on cable television where some clown is uploading his own content from his mother's basement like Wayne's World. Party on, Garth.

I will be experimenting with this thing for the next several weeks and then I will decide if I can drop part of my satellite subscription because, honestly, a lot of the stuff on the movie channels that I pay extra for is also crap. Stuff I wouldn't watch ever. And yet, I'm paying for it. So it's sort of the same thing as these streaming pay subscriptions except they cost more. Or at least, I think they do. I will need to find out what I want to pay for and then do a cost comparison with satellite. Right now, though, I am encouraged that maybe there is a way to cut back my satellite bill and still have more content than I know what to do with.

If anyone else on the forum is currently using a streaming device I would like to know their thoughts and experiences so that maybe I can benefit from them in this experiment.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:11:53 PM by trapeze »

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #327 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/lincoln-trailer-spielberg-daniel-day-lewis-dreamworks-disney-video/

I wonder if when Mary Todd Lincoln walks into Ford’s theater to the sound of applause, she’ll say, “You like me, you really like me.”
Comment by Norma Rae

::hysterical::

Went to a matinee today and saw "Lincoln" or rather Steven Spielberg's version of history . As entertainment it's fine . As history , it's bad . It's woven together with contrivances and liberally sprinkled with horse sh*t . There are so many things which were blatantly wrong that it's hard to even start listing them . I haven't read an assessment by any credible historians yet like James MacPherson or Gary Gallagher but I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually . Right now the critical praise for the film is so great that historical accuracy will have take a back seat for the time being .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/lincoln-trailer-spielberg-daniel-day-lewis-dreamworks-disney-video/

I wonder if when Mary Todd Lincoln walks into Ford’s theater to the sound of applause, she’ll say, “You like me, you really like me.”
Comment by Norma Rae

Went to a matinee today and saw "Lincoln" or rather Steven Spielberg's version of history . As entertainment it's fine . As history , it's bad . It's woven together with contrivances and liberally sprinkled with horse sh*t . There are so many things which were blatantly wrong that it's hard to even start listing them . I haven't read an assessment by any credible historians yet like James MacPherson or Gary Gallagher but I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually . Right now the critical praise for the film is so great that historical accuracy will have take a back seat for the time being .

Well yeah, you can let a little thing like historical accuracy get in the way of numerous Oscar nominations and the lock for best actor for whatshisface, not an American dude...Lewis!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »

Comment by Norma Rae

Another kiss of death for this Lincoln movie - Rahmhole is recommending people go see it!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rahm-emanuel-likens-obama-lincoln

I will not see that crap, no way, no how!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
One of my kids had a well-known Lincoln expert as a professor.  He took a meeting with Spielberg along with a bunch of other people when Spielberg was prepping this movie.  Apparently, Spielberg wasn't interested in his thoughts on Lincoln though since his expertise was at odds with what Spielberg wanted to do.   I also heard Spielberg was shocked to learn the Republicans freed the slaves.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
I also heard Spielberg was shocked to learn the Republicans freed the slaves.

OMG!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit...

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »
Roku update:

So I've had this thing now for around ten days and it's still as good as the first day. Picture quality is very good. So is the sound.

Selection is not bad but not great either. There aren't a lot of movies available that I haven't already seen and want to see. There are a LOT of truly awful movies available...stuff that cable won't even play....stuff that is ripe for the MST3K treatment. On the other hand, there are a lot of television shows that I haven't seen that look like they might be okay. Plus I can re-watch some shows that I did like...Lost and 24 come immediately to mind. It's funny that there are some television shows that aren't available. I say funny because there are so many that are it seems odd to find one that isn't offered. For instance, I wanted to see "Justified" and it wasn't available.

There is some live streaming news if you look for it but none of it is American. SkyNews is available as a live streaming program. And CNN International. If I wanted to go to the trouble, I could watch a channel that supposedly streams American television but it takes a lot of work. It is supposed to be only available to IP addresses that aren't in the US so if you want to see it you have to get there by way of a VPN or proxy server.

I am trying out Amazon Prime and they have many times the movies available that Netflix or huluplus has.

One other negative about the Roku box: no youtube vids. Which is too bad because they have some free movies. Plus cat vids.

All in all I am very satisfied with the thing. The question now becomes, "Can I cut all or some of my satellite?" Not all I don't think, but I can probably ditch the premium movies channel package that I am currently subscribed to.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
Interesting.  I heard on the radio this morning that Disney came to some agreement and more movies are going to be on Netflix, but not for 2-3 years or something.  More of the intellectual property rights battles, lawyers, they kill all fun and make everything more expensive!  Shakespeare was onto something, eh?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
There is actually a Disney channel available on Roku. Not my thing so I haven't looked into it as to whether it is a pay channel or not. I would guess it is a pay subscription.

Speaking of Disney, though, here is a life imitating art event in Mexico. Worth looking at if you have seen all things Pixar.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »
How the heck did I miss this?

Amazon, you are falling down on the recommendation job! Available for instant play, as well, but I just ordered the Bluerays.  I love this comic.  I found this because I was trying to find the original image from the comic to "quote it"   - Like the recent batman films? This is an animated adaptation of the Comic that inspired them. (as yes, Batman works better as animation.. you just can't get the suit right in live film.. )

I will let you all know how I like it..

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
Before Frank Miller, Batman was to most people, Adam West and cheesy camp. Miller's treatment of the Batman gave the character new life, and from that life sprang the entire Batman movie franchise that exists today. Without Miller's Dark Knight, even the 80's Keaton/Nicholson movie would not have existed, not to mention the Chris Nolan films.

I'm not big on cartoons, but I might watch this one.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
Before Frank Miller, Batman was to most people, Adam West and cheesy camp. Miller's treatment of the Batman gave the character new life, and from that life sprang the entire Batman movie franchise that exists today. Without Miller's Dark Knight, even the 80's Keaton/Nicholson movie would not have existed, not to mention the Chris Nolan films.

I'm not big on cartoons, but I might watch this one.

From reading the reviews , they made the decision to leave out the "internal dialogue" present in the original work. Voice-overs like that are hard to do in film without getting campy, so I get why they might omit it, but I fear much of the story will be gone without them.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »
Watched "Casablanca" last night on Roku (actually it was from Netflix) in HD. I have never seen it in HD before and I suppose that this is as close to being able to see it in the theater as you can get these days.

I actually enjoyed it much more in HD than I thought I would. The expressions on the faces were much sharper and because of that I appreciated the acting of the players that much more. It was really good. I am going to have to look into other classic movies that I have never seen in HD.