Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 231938 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #380 on: April 05, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »
Heh!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
Just got done watching "Promised Land" against my will. I knew it would be utter bullsh*t and it did not let me down. Yes, this is yet another one of mrs. trapeze's movie picks. Truth be known, she is responsible for picking the lion's share of crappy movies for us to watch...it's a gift or talent or something. Me? I can smell a stinker from miles away and "Promised Land" had putrid written all over it. Flies were circling this veritable shopping bag of dog excrement.

"Promised Land" is the infamous anti-fracking movie from the skull cavity of Matt Damon. That was enough to warn me off of it right there but mrs. trapeze is damned stubborn about her crappy movie selections and I am putting down markers for better, cooler movies that will be coming out soon. So, putting up with this little bit of exquisitely hand crafted garbage is a small price to pay for getting my way, in spades, later.

So...what is the basic theme of this movie? Is it that fracking is bad? Is it that big corporations are evil? Well, yeah, of course those things are a big part of this movie. But no...the basic and overarching theme of this movie is that people from the country are total dipsh*ts. Yeah, we've seen this movie so many times before where people from flyover country are pretty much made out to be morons and this movie takes that theme and runs with it. Hard.

An energy company comes to town to hand out money, a lot of it, to anyone and everyone who owns property. Now this is not the way it works in the real world, of course...there are these things called mineral rights and a lot of people who own property do not own the mineral rights to that property. I have certainly seen that happen both in Colorado and in Texas. But put that aside. The big company comes to town and starts offering what amounts to a lifetime of wealth to the people there and what do they do? They turn their collective noses up at it. They decide to vote on it as if the majority of property owners could somehow prevent the others from leasing their properties out. But mainly they treat opportunity as a curse. Yeah, right. No one is going to turn down the opportunity to be financially self sufficient, to be wealthy. No one. But these rednecks? They are ready to stand up to that energy company and fight for their right to live in poverty and most likely lose their homes and farms some day. The dialogue is pathetic (I couldn't find direct quotes so my paraphrasing is just going to have to suffice here)...

Ignorant Rednecks: "We aren't going to just let your company take our land, mister!"

Patient Energy Company Rep: "Uh, no...we are going to pay you handsomely for the privilege of putting in a gas well but only if you just happen to want gobs of money for basically sitting around and watching while we do all of the work...you may refuse our offer and keep living like trailer trash if that is your desire."

Ignorant Rednecks: "Damned straight! Now get off our land...hey, who has a beer?"

The characters are as unbelievable as the plot. Matt Damon plays the part of some kind of junior executive with the energy company and he starts out as being mostly professional in his attitude about what he is there for (to sign contracts with property owners) and about his attitude toward his company. Several times at the beginning and once in the middle of the film he pretty much lays it out truthfully about the reality of things: "Here is an opportunity to make a lot of money with almost zero downside. Please, for the sake of your children, don't be stupid." But then he starts to get nostalgic about his young life on the farm and inexplicably starts to see things from the redneck point of view. As the left likes to say, he grows. Uh, yeah...he grows into a stupid idiot.

The energy company then also becomes inexplicably stupid. They send in a fake environmentalist who then uses faked tales of fracking nightmares that supposedly happened in Nebraska. Now here is where things really spiral out of control as far as the plot goes. At the beginning of the movie there is quite a bit of fun made of some stupid ass (redneck) politician who seems to be the only guy in town who can't make proper use of the internet to look up basic facts about natural gas deposits. So now, when presented with a story of a fracking apocalypse in Nebraska, everyone in town who could previously use Google somehow forgets that that is an option and just accepts the wacko environmentalist's story as fact. Not a single person in town bothers to check the story out and instead let the creep pound signs into their yards that show dead cows strewn about and that tell the energy company to "go home." Sure. Well, it gets worse. The energy company doesn't let Matt Damon in on their trick. They send him some info that allows him to think that he can prove the enviroweenie is lying and he runs with it. But then Matt Damon, genius that he is, figures out* that the whole thing is a setup. He starts to look like he is thinking very deeply about very important and deep thoughts. Oooo...suspense! Then at a big town meeting Matt Damon blows the lid off of the energy company's evil machinations and tells everyone that it's all been a big old nasty energy corporation trick! Zoiks! Rednecks get all angry and tear up their contracts and throw those nasty old energy company people out of town! Yay! The town is saved!

I'm serious as a heart attack, here...that is really the plot and that is really how the movie ends. The big "scandal" is not that fracking is going to destroy their homes and leave them penniless and living in a toxic wasteland. That was the movie that Matt Damon wanted to make. Very, very badly wanted to make. But the problem is that it would then have ceased to be a drama and instead it would have been a fantasy. And that's because there is literally zero truth to any of the "fracking is bad and it kills" nonsense. Fracking doesn't do anything except extract a butt load of energy from the earth that otherwise could not be gotten. So Matt Damon had to come up with a ridiculous and nonsensical "scandal" that would make the energy company the evil corporate bad guy anyway. So here it is: The "scandal" or the "conspiracy" was that the energy company had to trick the poor, stupid country bumpkins into getting rich because they were too damned stupid to do it without manipulation. But fortunately Matt Damon was there to shut them down! Oh, and he threw his career away, too, because the energy company immediately fired his stupid ass but that's okay because he is going to stay in the backward little redneck community and shack up with a school teacher he met in a bar once and talked to a couple of times.

Yeah, that's how it happens in the real world. Sure.

This movie is made for dumbass urban libs who believe all of the left wing talking points without question. And that's the irony here. The real stupid people here are the ones who think that light comes out of the switch on the wall, that milk comes from the grocery store and that electric cars are "green." The target audience for this BS are people who think that recycling actually helps the environment (it almost never does), that the war on terror is over and that the polar bears need to be saved from drowning...that something must always be done.

Thank goodness that Matt Damon grew at just the right moment and foiled the evil plans of the energy company so that several hundred rednecks could continue to live on unemployment and disability! Being a one percenter sucks! Who needs money? We have dirt! Yay!

And for the record, as is so often the case, mrs. trapeze said, after the movie was over, "You were right, that was awful." I appreciate that I don't have to say, "I told you it would suck."

______________________________________________________________________________________

*Okay, well he didn't really figure it out. The energy company sent him a bigger picture of the Nebraska dead cows and there is a lighthouse in the background with a circle around it and a big arrow pointing to it. OMG! That farm isn't in Nebraska! It's in Louisiana! Just for fun I looked up Louisiana lighthouses and if there is one anywhere near a place that cows wouldn't be underwater I didn't see it. The internet thing is kinda cool, eh?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:04:52 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »
"Promised Land" is the infamous anti-fracking movie from the puss-filled skull cavity of Matt Damon."  FIFY!

::thumbsup::

PS-Was this the flick some folks were not allowed to see at some premier or something because they were not "true belivers" in such OWS-style eco-terrorist tripe?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
No, that was the sequel to the fraudulent and debunked documentary "Gasland."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
They all look alike...

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
Dredd

This resurrection of the comic book character portrayed in the 80s by Sylvester Stallone bore no resemblance whatsoever to the Stallone film. No camp. Not a single lighthearted moment. Dark as hell, and visually spectacular.

I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised, as I had low expectations.

It stars Karl Urban (Eomer: LoTR, Dr. McCoy: Star Trek). If the ladies are waiting to see his handsome face, fuggettabottit. The helmet is on, from beginning to end. The nemesis is excellently portrayed by Lena Headey (Cersi Lannister: Game of Thrones).

The premise: America's post apocalyptic future has 800 million people gathered into one mega-city - the rest of the country having been laid to nuclear waste.  Within that mega-city are evenly-spaced, towering, hulking high-rise sectors, housing over 70,000 people each. "Mama" as portrayed by Headey is the leader of a cartel in one sector that seeks control through drug-trade over all the other sectors. Dredd and his partner are investigating a murder in Mama's sector, and Mama overrides the building controls, locks the building down, and a war begins between Dredd, his partner, and Mama's family.

Urban's stoic portrayal of the lawful-good judge, jury, and executioner was what it needed to be.

Worth seeing for visual, special effects, and a surprisingly uniquely put together world within which the story takes place.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:59:02 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
Dredd

I will see it when I can. Sounds like I will enjoy it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »
I watched "The Impossible" on PPV this evening. Another movie pick by mrs. trapeze but this time she got lucky. It was a very good film.

"The Impossible" chronicles the true story of a family literally torn apart by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

It is a good movie on several levels. The acting is top rate and very convincing, especially the children. The story is, well, it's all true and very compelling. I guess, though, that the thing that got me the most was the ridiculously realistic portrayal of the actual tsunami itself. On one level you know damn good and well that the movie crew wasn't present during the real thing but on the other hand it looks exactly as if they were. From the first crash of the waves into the resort swimming pool area (where the family was gathered) to the interminable time that they floated inland with zillions of tons of debris and flotsam, it looks just like they filmed it as it happened. There are shots where they are filming the mother and son clinging to each other and they zoom out and out and out and you see wasteland and devastation everywhere. Truly a masterpiece of special effects and CGI wizardry.

We all know the basic story of what happened. The tsunami struck the day after Christmas and among the thousands of miles of shorelines were several resort hotel areas frequented by Europeans. The family that the story is about have three small boys, the oldest might have been ten. They are all immediately separated when the wave hits even though the father is clutching the two youngest boys. The story mainly focuses on the mother and we see her swept and tossed around for quite a while. She surfaces after a while and somehow manages to cling to a palm tree. She then sees her oldest son go zipping by, carried away by the current so she lets go of her safety and tries to reach him. During this time she is severely injured but she eventually does catch up to her son and they manage to stay together. They are rescued by locals at some point and are brought to a hospital. After that we see the father, who has rather miraculously managed to find both of the younger boys, searching near the resort for his wife and oldest son. The rest of the movie is about how they manage to reunite.

An amazing story, that is simultaneously exciting, tragic and uplifting. Death is literally all around them (over 230,000 people were wiped out) and yet, in amongst the devastation there are glimpses of beauty, kindness and hope.

My only complaint is that the film does not spend more time with the father and that it does not show how he became reunited with the two younger boys. A small complaint but the film seems somewhat incomplete without it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:08:02 AM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
Top box office draw this weekend is the Michael Bay true crime story, "Pain & Gain." Not the usual fare for Michael Bay who has a well earned reputation for cheesy, big budget action films for the undiscriminating moviegoer. This movie is decidedly different from Bay's other work. It's supposed to be very dark and insanely funny. I say "supposed to be" because I haven't seen it.

The story is about these incredibly stupid body builders who plot and execute a plan to kidnap a rich guy and get all of his money. Torture, murder and dismemberment follow. Really. I read about it and it piqued my interest enough to look up the story that it is based on. I found it at the Miami New Times. Here is an excerpt:

...the gang's first attempts to kidnap Schiller failed. To be kind, they were not smart plans -- not in their conception, especially not in their execution. For Halloween they planned to don ninja outfits and trick-or-treat in Schiller's neighborhood. They'd knock on his door and nab him when he answered. But instead they opted to spend the night at a strip club. They thought of another scheme: kidnapping him as he drove along the Palmetto Expressway during rush hour. But as they tried to catch up to his car, Schiller took an unexpected exit ramp.

The most complicated tactical operation took place early one November morning, right in Schiller's front yard. Although he lived in a gated community, access to the home was simple: A perimeter road next to a canal allowed anyone entry. Schiller's house was the closest to this road.

Adrian Doorbal, Stevenson Pierre, and Carl Weekes waited for Schiller to open his door and walk outside to pick up the morning paper. The three men were dressed all in black and wore gloves and military camouflage makeup. (Weekes remembered this application technique from his Marine Corps training.) They crawled across the lawn and huddled under movers' blankets in a chilly predawn rain, preparing to storm the house and hold the family hostage. But a passing car spooked them, and they radioed the now-familiar "mission abort" message to Lugo, who was in a nearby park with the van. The group ran all the way back to the vehicle.

When morale was down after yet another failed abduction (there had been six by now) Lugo would take the crew to the Solid Gold Club on 163rd Street, Miami's premier strip palace, and hand his colleagues money for the dancers. He would buy the guys drinks and tried to buoy their confidence. If the gang pulled off this Schiller caper, he'd say, these voluptuous naked centerfold fantasies could be theirs!

The story is very long but also engrossing in a "I can't believe that people, even stupid ones, would believe that they could get away with this" sort of way. I might see the movie after reading this.

Did I mention that this is a LONG story? It is. The above link is to Part 1.

Here are the links to Part 2 and Part 3.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:33:27 AM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
I took my daughter to see "Ironman 3" this evening. It was better than expected for a sequel of any kind, let alone one with a number 3 in the title.

They managed to hide quite a bit of the plot from the trailers so I really had almost no idea what the story would be about. The only plot device that I had trouble with was Tony Stark suffering from frequent and unpredictable anxiety attacks (and insomnia) as a reaction to his little adventure in "The Avengers." The movie hints that it was the traveling into the wormhole that really freaked him out...the aliens and stuff. Personally, I'm thinking that anyone who can engineer themselves into being a superhero, who is comfortable hanging out with other (far more bizarre) superheroes, probably wouldn't be all that freaked out by the existence of space aliens and inter-dimensional rifts in the space/time continuum. But that's me. Obviously, the writers needed this vulnerability in order to have a proper story arc for the film. I get it. It just seemed a bit contrived.

Other than that, though, the rest of the movie was pretty good. It was different from the previous two Ironman movies in that Tony Stark spends an inordinate amount of screen time not suited up. Not suited up and simultaneously trying to track down the bad guys while they are trying to track him down and kill him. He improvises a lot and even reverts to the cave-in-Afghanistan mindset to whip up some homemade bad guy whoop-ass in a can stuff.

The movie culminates in a frenetic action scene that, like "The Avengers," probably goes on and on for a good twenty or thirty minutes. But there is no real absence of action in most of the movie. It's kind of hard to follow the plot details at times because the thing just moves so fast. I mean to say that, yes, you can follow the plot but there are little details that can fly past you and cause you to make mental notes to pay more attention the next time you see it. And for me that will be when it becomes available as a rental.

There is, if you can believe it, more humor in this one than in the previous two combined. I had to wonder how much of the funny stuff is scripted and how much is Robert Downey Jr. just ad libbing stuff from time to time. He really is the only actor I would ever want to see in this role.

Saw several trailers before the film rolled. Saw the new Star Trek trailer for "Into Darkness" and also "The Lone Ranger." Saw the trailer for the next "Thor" movie and something called "After Earth" with Will Smith that I didn't really come away with any understanding about what it was all about other than a sci fi movie where they crashed a space ship and got chased around by animals.

So...enjoyable evening. My daughter liked it a lot. I would recommend going to see it.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
I watched it this evening on the IMAX 3 d......which was way cool. I liked the interaction between stark and the kid. The terrorist angle was clever and it's all ill say since I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I also appreciated the storyline of stark desperate to protect pepper, thru the brilliance of his "iron men", only to see his new found quirks create a situation of harm.

The humor was good. The hot mess stuff was clever and Starks interaction with the bad guys was funny as hell. The last 45 minutes is non stop and I'm telling you, in the IMAX it was totally cool.

Did you sit thru all the credits to watch the final scene?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
We saw Iron Man 3 tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fun ride.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »

But of course. "I'm not that kind of doctor." Funny. Watching the credits was like seeing whole pages of the White Pages phonebook, though.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:55:43 AM by trapeze »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

But of course. "I'm not that kind of doctor." Funny. Watching the credits was like seeing whole pages of the White Pages phonebook, though.

I was intrigued by the line " tony stark will return", since the end of the flick indicated ironman is no more. I can't see another Avengers without ironman.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
Supposed to be a comedy?  ::saywhat::

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/may/07/white-house-down-trailer

I believe there is a segment of the population who believe blowing up the white house would be an improvement. I haven't seen Olympus is Fallen......I probably won't see "White House Down"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »
Saw this, this morning.

Ten-year Oliver Burton’s story is heartbreaking. Without getting into all of the details, the young boy has Down’s syndrome and has battled a variety of other cancers, leading up to a recent diagnosis of terminal spine and bone marrow cancer. Throughout all of it, though, his family has tried to make Oliver as happy as possible, so when Queen Elizabeth II couldn’t or wouldn’t fulfill his dream of having tea with her at Buckingham Palace, they got him the next best thing.

Actually, in my opinion, it’s the better thing, but they took Oliver to the Gielgud Theatre to watch Dame Helen Mirren perform as the Queen in The Audience. And after the play, Mirren remained in character as she welcomed Oliver backstage to join her for tea, as the other cast members participated in costume. They even let Oliver meet the corgis.

So...decency on parade...which, these days, is by definition, remarkable. To mark the occasion here is some more Mirren awesomeness:

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #397 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
Looks interesting Trap, Anthony Hopkins going to out-crazy Malkovich?  Should be a good race. 

Saw the latest Star Trek offering this past Friday, extending the new timeline, an interesting ride...I like JJ Abrams' shooting style, was entertaining and worth the ticket.

Star Trek Into Darkness Official Trailer #3 (2013) - JJ Abrams Movie HD

Saw previews for this...I dunno...Cap'n Jack as Tonto?

The Lone Ranger Official Trailer #2 (2012) - Johnny Depp Movie HD

Saw this preview too...looks intense...Brad Pitt, meh.

World War Z TRAILER 2 (2013) - Brad Pitt Movie HD

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
I saw Star Trek last night at the drive in.
Our drive in has 5 screens. One large main screen, 2 medium and 2 small screens in the back.
Unfortunately, Star Trek was on one of the smaller screens.

It was entertaining but not great.
There have been better

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
I know I'm going to be disappointed in the Lone Ranger but, like a car crash, I need to watch it.

From the previews, it looks a little campy.
Sort of like the Michael Keaton Batman.

I grew up with the Lone Ranger on TV as well as many westerns
The Lone Ranger is an Americon icon