Author Topic: A shocking list of movies I've never seen  (Read 8203 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Love the transformer movies? Really? I couldn't even figure out which robots were the good guys till my son informed be to look at the color of their eyes.
CGI is great until it goes past what my brain can actually process, and transformers certainly hit that mark. And yes, I am sick of teenager saves the world, but that is pretty much every Sci Fi film ( hey they know the target audience) - even Star Wars.

I you cannot get me to admit there was another Alien film bast Aliens. They didn't happen.  Alien IV was one of the 2 films in my entire life that  I just turned off and didn't finish ( I have a high tolerance for crap - I even watched all of Sphere)  Aliens III/IV were just awful.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
I liked all the Alien movies. In fact, I like 3 & 4 better than 2. I dig the transformer movies too, but mostly for the CGI.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
Love the transformer movies? Really? I couldn't even figure out which robots were the good guys till my son informed be to look at the color of their eyes.
CGI is great until it goes past what my brain can actually process, and transformers certainly hit that mark. And yes, I am sick of teenager saves the world, but that is pretty much every Sci Fi film ( hey they know the target audience) - even Star Wars.

I you cannot get me to admit there was another Alien film bast Aliens. They didn't happen.  Alien IV was one of the 2 films in my entire life that  I just turned off and didn't finish ( I have a high tolerance for crap - I even watched all of Sphere)  Aliens III/IV were just awful.

I agree about the Transformer movies being hard to follow .... the first time.  It got easier with each successive viewing.

eta: The 'bots were hard to follow as to who was who.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:09 PM »
Couldn't follow the robots? The decepticons carried a different emblem......similar to the volt.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
Couldn't follow the robots? The decepticons carried a different emblem......similar to the volt.

No.  Ofttimes, they were just metal-jumbles moving very, very fast and therefore, hard to focus on.  Guess I have old eyes, too. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
17/25

As far as fantasy films go, can I take Reds?  Or any drama with George Clooney?

One sci-fi movie not mentioned, and maybe not a great one, but one I enjoyed:  Outland, with Sean Connery.  But then, I can't think of a Sean Connery movie I didn't like; I may not have loved it, but I didn't hate it.

I now find the original The Andromeda Strain to be dated.  I watched it again recently, and I was bored to tears.

I have always hated the final cut of 2001:  A Space Odyssey (or as a MAD magazine satire at the time called it, 201 Minutes of Space Idiocy [the stupid things one remembers from being a kid]).  I thought roughly the first half was great; the monkeys and the stele, not so much.

They Live has one of the greatest lines in movie history, not just sci-fi:  "I came here to kick @ss and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum."  Poetry.  Pure poetry.  Right up there with Rhett Butler's GWTW closing line, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

One sci-fi guilty pleasure is The Last Starfighter, which also happened to be Robert Preston's last theatrical film (two tv movies followed).  He died three years after release.

Another excellent sci-fi film unmentioned is The Hidden.  A real gem.

An underrated, and almost unkown, sci-fi film is Trancers, which has to have one of the best lead character names of all time, Trooper Jack Deth.

And who can forget that Don Johnson sci-fi classic, A Boy And His Dog?

I'll close with another unmentioned sci-fi movie, a comedy, Mel Brooks' Spaceballs.  May not have been up to Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein standards, but I laughed -- a lot -- at that movie.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »
I you cannot get me to admit there was another Alien film bast Aliens. They didn't happen.  Alien IV was one of the 2 films in my entire life that  I just turned off and didn't finish ( I have a high tolerance for crap - I even watched all of Sphere)  Aliens III/IV were just awful.

I could not agree more. My official Alien canon ends with the second film. Everything after that was in some alternate Alien universe as far as I'm concerned. The first two films were each masterpieces of science fiction in their own different ways.

Alien 3 just pissed me off right from the start, the perfunctory dismissal of the two other survivors from the second film. There was so much potential for a good sequel.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Ok......watched The Grey last nite.

I'm not gonna say it was a bad flick. There is a story to the movie which isn't bad, but I was tired last nite, didn't want to think too much and wanted gratuitous violence.....and I didn't get enough. I needed a movie with little story line.

I also didn't like the ending and  I figured out what was gonna happen, and obviously so did the guy behind me because he muttered " if this is the ending I'm gonna be pissed."  he was pissed.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.