Author Topic: I like how Rick Perry "relaxes"  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: I like how Rick Perry "relaxes"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

He held a blogger summit sometime back which also included
barbque and shootin'.  Roger Simon, Andrew Breitbart, Ben Domenech, and Matt Lewis were among attendees.

http://rightwingnews.com/conferences/wrap-up-governor-rick-perrys-blogger-summit-in-austin-texas/

So naturally I had a moment’s trepidation when invited to go shooting with Governor Rick Perry of Texas as part of an event he was staging for bloggers in his home territory of Austin. On the other hand I had never been to the Texas capital and the charismatic governor interested me. So I accepted his invitation with pleasure. But just to be careful – I figured Perry had to be a good shot and didn’t want to embarrass myself – I went over to the LAX Los Angeles Firing Range to take a half hour lesson with a retired Marine.
_  _  _  Roger L Simon

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
He does come across much better in person than we've seen in debates.  Sure would benefit to translate that better into the campaign, his ad's also reflect that, but in the big mixers he needs to concentrate on being himself.  His handlers have too tight a reign on him perhaps.  Happened with Sarah, could happen with anyone.  Jus' speculatin' tho'.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

This article has some interesting observations about what's going on behind the scenes.  
He definitely is in a good position with the gangfight elimination going on between
the top three.  He is in a good position but he needs to be in top form with a top
functioning team to take advantage.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:23:02 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
You are referring to this posting by Erickson.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/01/04/can-rick-perry-come-back/

It may be true he needs to clean house, but that is easier said than done.  Who does he replace all those people with?  There is no guarantee a change for changes sake will give him the "reboot" Erickson says he needs.  It still comes down to the candidate taking control of their destiny.  He obviously didn't become Governor by being completely without campaign skills.  A national campaign is different and that is where staff can have a greater impact.  He needs to get people who can move people in every state he needs to do well in.  For himself he needs to seriously look at what his strengths are and maximize them in this campaign and seriously look at his weaknesses and determine which ones he can measurably improve and which ones he needs to take action on to either minimize or avoid.

Until that happens he will not gain traction, and come SC he needs to start making traction or it doesn't matter how bad the others suck or how badly the others are wounded...overcoming Romney's machine is going to require your "A" game.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
Perry collapsed and his numbers have hardly moved. I don't see how he can come back. His collapse is a testament to the visceral importance of illegal immigration to the conservative electorate. People saw Bush/McCain in his "you don't have a heart" statement, and his walkbacks on that comment have had zero effect. People's ears and minds were closed by Rick Perry himself.

That's unfortunate to me, because of all the candidates remaining, I think he's the most likely to govern conservatively. But I don't think we'll find out.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
You are referring to this posting by Erickson.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/01/04/can-rick-perry-come-back/

It may be true he needs to clean house, but that is easier said than done.  Who does he replace all those people with?  There is no guarantee a change for changes sake will give him the "reboot" Erickson says he needs.  It still comes down to the candidate taking control of their destiny.  He obviously didn't become Governor by being completely without campaign skills.  A national campaign is different and that is where staff can have a greater impact.  He needs to get people who can move people in every state he needs to do well in.  For himself he needs to seriously look at what his strengths are and maximize them in this campaign and seriously look at his weaknesses and determine which ones he can measurably improve and which ones he needs to take action on to either minimize or avoid.

Until that happens he will not gain traction, and come SC he needs to start making traction or it doesn't matter how bad the others suck or how badly the others are wounded...overcoming Romney's machine is going to require your "A" game.

Where did that link come from?

Yes.  Didn't intend to imply Erick was correct about what he should
do with his staff but he did verify the rumors that there was trouble
in river city and reinforced that he truly is the only candidate who
intends to scale back government.  He also neglected to mention he
is the only candidate who wants to aggressively pursue  The diver-
gent comments coming from them after he "took the day off" proved
his team is not on the same page.

Yes, if he can't pick and manage his support system how can he expect
us to believe he can do so with our country.  His work is cut out for him.

Drill baby drill.

As to the immigration issue there are two things.  One, if we don't have
a productive country the issue is moot.  Two, his immigration positions
are the strongest of any candidate.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »
Perry collapsed and his numbers have hardly moved. I don't see how he can come back. His collapse is a testament to the visceral importance of illegal immigration to the conservative electorate. People saw Bush/McCain in his "you don't have a heart" statement, and his walkbacks on that comment have had zero effect. People's ears and minds were closed by Rick Perry himself.

That's unfortunate to me, because of all the candidates remaining, I think he's the most likely to govern conservatively. But I don't think we'll find out.

That statement alone made me jettison him from my boat.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
I think something happens as soon as anyone, even a conservative, gets any where near Austin...outta move the seat of government outside the city limits!  Too many Texas Repub's go all soft & squishy and seemed compelled to abse themselves before Hispanics in some way or another...

::whatgives::