Author Topic: 85 year old WWII sniper vet can still make 1,000 yard shots  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
85 year old WWII sniper vet can still make 1,000 yard shots
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
He may be 85 years old, but when Army sniper veteran Ted Gundy was given the chance to show off the skills he used in World War Two, he proved he could still keep up with the very best.

That’s because he was invited to try out the Army’s latest technology in a challenge to hit a target a whopping 1,000 yards away.

But the former member of the Missouri honour guard, stepped up to the challenge with an extremely level head.

After all, he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge – considered one of the most defining clashes of U.S. Army history and remains the largest battle ever fought by United States troops.

Before he could get his hands on the modern day equipment, the Army presented him with a 1903 A4 replica sniper – the same he used in the war and had not seen since 1944.

Despite a 66-year gap without using the gun, he had no ease picking off a target at 300 yards, with all three shots hitting the target.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363432/85-year-old-U-S-Army-sniper-veteran-proves-lost-skills-picks-target-1-000-yards.html#ixzz1GBkfygQF

Great story. And he was given the M1903A4 replica of his WWII issue weapon as a gift.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363432/85-year-old-U-S-Army-sniper-veteran-proves-lost-skills-picks-target-1-000-yards.html
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: 85 year old WWII sniper vet can still make 1,000 yard shots
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:16 AM »
Well, God Bless him.  I can only hope to be that sharp at his age, if ....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
Wow.  Bravo!

And yeah, if I make it to 85...to be so blessed...  ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:12 AM »

the Army presented him with a 1903 A4 replica sniper – the same he used in the war and had not seen since 1944.
Perfect hit: The veteran manages a bullseye with the old rifle from 300 yards
It was then that the officers taught him how the Army’s custom made Remington 700 works...

...er, step aside sonny

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
Heh, yeah...like giving him a better gun will make him somehow, uh, struggle to hit the target?!

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

hemm

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
I meant to post this a couple of days ago, I got to ride home with a WWII vet on Tuesday........

Was in the Army Air Corps back in his day and was there for D-Day......

Steady and Sharp. It was a real honor.