Author Topic: 16,454,951  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
There were 16,454,951 NICS checks in 2011 1.8 Million in December alone, and up over 2 million from 2010 

But who is buying these Guns? I Took the NICS Data per state and plotted the number of NICS checks per capita (assuming linear population growth from 2000 to 2010 and estimate numbers from the US Census for 2011) 
Charts are below. Note the two big outliers are Kentucky and Utah. Kentucky started ramping up checks in 2006 - but I think this was some change in legislation that required more NICS checks to be done. Its also possible that people from other States buy guns in Kentucky?  However, I think the increase in Utah is based on increased purchases. Anyone have any other guesses as to why these two States rise so much above the curve?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: 16,454,951
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
I have no idea, unless there was a change in their laws requiring more checks.  I can tell you that North Carolina does not require a NICS check at purchase for Concealed Carry Permittees.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
I know for MN training if you get MN, UT, FL, NH & WI covered you get covered in 31 other states.  UT is in that list, I am guessing their training requirements (along with the other states listed) are higher and/or honored more than other states and as such you get broader reciprocal rights in more carry states.  Not sure why KY...patron state of shootin' stuff up?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
It may be concealed carry related:

"A Utah non-resident concealed firearm permit is one of the most widely recognized carry permits in the United States. Currently, this permit is valid in 30 states across the U.S. This 6 hour class meets the Utah requirement to apply for this highly sought after permit. This class is classroom lecture only and there is no shooting requirement or range time required to obtain this permit. The only way to apply for the Utah permit is by taking this class, taught by a Utah certified instructor. Utah does not accept any other form of training towards applying for the permit."

So a lot of non-residents may be getting a CC from Utah, and part of that MAY be a NICS check?

Kentucky apparently  doesn't allow Non-resident CC so they remain a mystery.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
So a lot of non-residents may be getting a CC from Utah, and part of that MAY be a NICS check?

Without knowing exactly what Utah's laws are, I couldn't say with any surety, however, keep in mind the NICS is an instant background check;

What exactly is NICS?

According to the FBI, NICS "will be a national database containing records of persons who are disqualified from receiving firearms." The NICS computer and analysis center is located in West Virginia, and the FBI is in charge of its operation.
The NICS computerized system is designed to handle most checks in less than 2_ minutes and roughly 150 transactions per minute. It will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Eastern Time, seven days a week, closed only on Thanksgiving and Christmas. (FBI regulations for the NICS system can be found at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/index.htm).

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=82

What is required for NC CC-permitting is a more extensive FBI check, with fingerprints, that takes weeks to process.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
Finger prints!

::outrage::

Once on file anybody with access (authorized or not!) could frame anyone for any crime they want to commit!

Major League BS and HELL NO!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
I wasn't happy about being printed, but was less happy with the idea of being arrested for carrying concealed or carrying openly.  It's legal here, but people are so unused to seeing it, it gets reported and then there's the cops to deal with.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
I have no excuse, anybody in the military has either prints and/or DNA on file, but I still don't like it.  Some things should be purged once ones obligation is satisifed.  Individual rights and common decency however are not what they used to be...

::cussing::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »
Individual rights and common decency however are not what they used to be...

::cussing::

Quite the understatement.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »

We're all property now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:06 AM »
"What's your name soldier?"

"Eleven!"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
I furthermore take issue with having to go through an elaborate process to request permission to exercise a natural right. "Shall not be infringed" is not ambiguous in meaning.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
Yeah, but Congresscritters think any new law is the bees knees.  Remember, this is the same bunch that read the Constitution at the start of last session and then promptly went out out crapped all over that document!

But I read "shall not be infringed" the same way.

Perhaps we need to take control and say to hell with their unconstitutional laws!

Probably get our asses handed to us by proglodyte judges, but I tell ya, I reach a certain age and condition...I'm gonna push a lot back into peoples faces!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
Yeah, but Congresscritters think any new law is the bees knees.  Remember, this is the same bunch that read the Constitution at the start of last session and then promptly went out out crapped all over that document!

But I read "shall not be infringed" the same way.

Perhaps we need to take control and say to hell with their unconstitutional laws!

Probably get our asses handed to us by proglodyte judges, but I tell ya, I reach a certain age and condition...I'm gonna push a lot back into peoples faces!

What "they" are counting on is so many people, having too much to lose, avoiding pushing back.  That's only going to work for so much longer, when just trying to live legally becomes a minefield of potential criminal violations worse than it already is.

The Founders had much to lose, and did suffer great losses, but in full knowledge of it, decided to go forward as free men rather than subjects.  Whether enough of us have that much intestinal fortitude is yet to be seen.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
The Founders had much to lose, and did suffer great losses, but in full knowledge of it, decided to go forward as free men rather than subjects.  Whether enough of us have that much intestinal fortitude is yet to be seen.

For me there is simply a line I can't cross and still look at myself in the mirror. I will not obey the individual manadate in Obamacare. I will not prove I have insurance to them. I will not pay the fine.  If they try to punish me via confiscation, I will destroy the asset.  If they send me to jail, I will have ample time to bolster my education in the criminal arts .  Homeland security worries about domestic terrorists? Of course they do... they are trying thier best to make them.  They want civility? Thats a two way street that implies civilized behavior, behavior which they do not exhibit. Name calling, the rule of men, wanton violation of individual rights and property is not the hallmark of the civilizd. . They have declared war on me and my family, and act like the barbarians they are..
The whole thought of it makes me sick to my stomach, but I cannot let this pass.  I can only hope I am not alone, and that a general tax revolt ensues. They can't jail us all using the current system in place. But if I am alone, so be it. Liberty or Death.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:21:59 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
The Founders had much to lose, and did suffer great losses, but in full knowledge of it, decided to go forward as free men rather than subjects.  Whether enough of us have that much intestinal fortitude is yet to be seen.

For me there is simply a line I can't cross and still look at myself in the mirror. I will not obey the individual manadate in Obamacare. I will not prove I have insurance to them. I will not pay the fine.  If they try to punish me via confiscation, I will destroy the asset.  If they send me to jail, I will have ample time to bolster my education in the criminal arts .  Homeland security worries about doemstic terrorists? Of course they do... they are trying thier best to make them.  They want civility? Thats a two way street that implies civilized behavior, behavior which they do no exhibit. Name calling, the rule of men, wanton violation of individual rights and property is not the hallmark of the civilizd. . They have declared war on me and my family, and act like the barbarians they are..
The whole thought of it makes me sick to my stomach, but I cannot let this pass.  I can only hope I am not alone, and that a general tax revolt ensues. They can't jail us all using the current system in place. But if I am alone, so be it. Liberty or Death.

We all have to call their bluff!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
Just so, sir.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »

For me there is simply a line I can't cross and still look at myself in the mirror. I will not obey the individual manadate in Obamacare. I will not prove I have insurance to them. I will not pay the fine.  If they try to punish me via confiscation, I will destroy the asset.  If they send me to jail, I will have ample time to bolster my education in the criminal arts .  Homeland security worries about domestic terrorists? Of course they do... they are trying thier best to make them.  They want civility? Thats a two way street that implies civilized behavior, behavior which they do not exhibit. Name calling, the rule of men, wanton violation of individual rights and property is not the hallmark of the civilizd. . They have declared war on me and my family, and act like the barbarians they are..
The whole thought of it makes me sick to my stomach, but I cannot let this pass.  I can only hope I am not alone, and that a general tax revolt ensues. They can't jail us all using the current system in place. But if I am alone, so be it. Liberty or Death.

Right on Weisshaupt!

I make the same pledge to resist with all my might any further invasions of my rights or liberties. Plus more...