Author Topic: ATF, DOJ in cover-up mode over growing "Project Gunrunner" scandal  (Read 7362 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
ATF, DOJ Launch Damage Control Effort Over Growing Project Gunrunner Scandal

A major scandal is developing around a signature U.S. effort to track and stop the flow of illicit weapons to Mexico, as officials at the Department of Justice close ranks, hoping to cover up an investigation critics say is responsible for an untold number of dead.

The investigation was known as Project Gunrunner -- a joint task force headed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Department of Justice -- that took place in 2010...

<snip>

...Now Desaye, paraphrasing Second Amendment activist Jeff Knox, says, "the truth is coming out. It's becoming obvious the largest supplier to Mexican gun violence is ATF, not the dealers. And they are using us as scapegoats."

Carolyn Terry, the stepmother of  murdered Border Agent Brian Terry also blames the ATF.

"I think they put those guns out there and they lost them and now one of our own has got killed with one and they have made a big mistake and the government hates to make mistakes," says Terry. "You would think such a murder and killing would make an impact and that they would revise their policy or at least review their policy and we have no indication that is the situation..."

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: ATF, DOJ in cover-up mode over growing "Project Gunrunner" scandal
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »
Between this and the NBP case, you'd think this would be overkill if anything to bring down this criminally led DOJ and their chief henchman, especially Eric the Holder!

Repub's have to push this issue, hard!

::gaah::

::angry::

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
...Repub's have to push this issue, hard!

That would require some f**king testicles.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
...Repub's have to push this issue, hard!

That would require some f**king testicles.

Yeah.

We keep coming back to the same fricken thing, don't we?!   ::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
Yep.  That's exactly the crux.  The left follows no rules and has only one goal.

The Republicans have no spine and is confused about the new no-rules.

I am coming more to believe it's because they actually have no firm principles on which to stand, so they stand on "the rules" instead.  It takes a great deal of courage to stand strong in politics and it is principles that provide the confidence to do so.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
This is a scandal of the highest order. As Erick Erickson at RedState says, it is an act of war against Mexico. Evidence now shows that this goes right up to Napolitano and the administration, perhaps engulfing Holder's DOJ as well.

If our media was worth a damn, this administration would be made to pay politically and criminally for the death of Agent Brian Terry. As it stands, only time will tell if alternative media's efforts to force the administration to deal with this head-on will be successful.

Now Another Agent Speaks Out

South of El Paso, Texas, on Mexico's side of the border, lies Juarez - the most dangerous city in the world. CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports ATF Special Agent Rene Jaquez has been stationed there for the past year, trying to keep U.S. guns from being trafficked into Mexico.

"That's what we do as an agency," Jaquez said. "ATF's primary mission is to make sure that we curtail gun trafficking."

That's why Jaquez tells CBS News he was so alarmed to hear his own agency may have done the opposite: encouraged U.S. gun dealers to sell to suspected traffickers for Mexico's drug cartels. Apparently, ATF hoped that letting weapons "walk" onto the street - to see where they'd end up - would help them take down a cartel.

Jaquez is so opposed to the strategy, he's speaking out. "You don't let guns walk. I've never let a gun walk."

Yet ATF agents told us they were ordered to let thousands of weapons walk. Two of them, assault rifles, were later found at the murder scene of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry in Arizona last December. Another gunrunning suspect under ATF surveillance was linked to the shooting of Customs Agent Jaime Zapata. And sources say many more "walked" weapons turned up at Mexican crime scenes.

Jaquez said, "I think this incidence is probably one of the darkest days in ATF's history."

But ATF wasn't working alone on the case known as "Fast and Furious." Documents show ATF had conference calls with "DHS" (Homeland Security). "USMS" (U.S. Marshals) and DEA. An "ICE," or Customs agent, was on ATF's Fast and Furious team. They were advised by an "AUSA," or Assistant U.S. Attorney under the Justice Department.

Justice Department head Eric Holder said the inspector general is investigating. "The aim of the ATF is to try to stop the flow of guns. I think they do a good job in that regard. Questions have been raised by ATF agents about the way in which some of these operations have been conducted. I think those questions have to be taken seriously, and on that basis, I've asked the inspector general to look at it."

Jaquez is second sitting ATF agent to come forward and speak out to CBS News on the controversy.

Jaquez says one of the most difficult things for him is believing that his own agency  inadvertently put innocent lives at risk. Jaquez has family - uncles, aunts, father and sister - living in Mexico. "Any one of us could have been shot with one of those guns."

Jaquez says he's left wondering whether runaway violence in Mexico can be partly blamed on the agency tasked with stopping it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
I'm left agape, wondering which of these scandals will be Duh Wun's kryptonite or if he'll simply be allowed to remain the Man of Steal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
I'm left agape, wondering which of these scandals will be Duh Wun's kryptonite or if he'll simply be allowed to remain the Man of Steal.

He's not being held accountable in the media. That is unprecedented. We saw inklings of it during the Clinton years, but nothing like this.

Where are the Republicans, standing on the capitol steps, demanding to be heard?

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
Who?  The shrinking violets?

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
The media is fully responsible for getting this treasonous bastard elected.  If they had done the slightest investigation into his background, ideology, and past associations, there is no way he would have gotten a majority of the popular vote.

And they continue to double down.  Damn them to hell.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Obama denies personal and DoJ knowledge of Operation Gunrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Obama says he didn’t inform Mexico of U.S. gun smuggling operation because he didn’t know about it

Under fire for an operation that allowed smuggling of U.S. weapons across the nation’s border with Mexico, President Obama said in an interview that neither he nor Attorney General Eric Holder authorized the controversial “Operation Fast and Furious.”

The Mexican government has complained that it didn’t know about the U.S. operation that allowed guns to illegally cross the southwestern border so they could track the weapons.

Obama told Univision‘s Jorge Ramos that President Felipe Calderon wasn’t informed of the operation because he — the president of the United States — wasn’t informed either. When asked whether he knew of the weapon smuggling plan, Obama responded that it is “a pretty big government” with “a lot of moving parts.”

The investigation into the program comes after it was connected to two weapons that were found at the scene of a border shootout that killed U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry in December. Likewise, a gun smuggled from the U.S. were used to kill Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agent Jamie Zapata, but it has not been determined if it was part of “Fast and Furious.”

When President Calderon came to visit Washington recently, the two presidents came together on a policy to stop drug and weapon smuggling across the border.

“Our policy is to ram up the interdiction of guns flowing south because that’s contributing to some of the security problems that are taking place in Mexico and what we’re doing is trying to build the kind of cooperation between Mexico and the United States that we haven’t seen before,” Obama told Univision.

The president said his attorney general has been “very clear that our policy is to catch gunrunners and but them into jail.”

The controversial operation was the subject of a CBS News Investigation that reported ATF was allowing traffickers to bring weapons into Mexico in order to track them rather than arresting the traffickers. Obama said Holder has assigned an inspector general to investigate what happened, because he does not know who authorized the operation.

“Letting guns ‘walk’ is not something that is acceptable,” Holder said during a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing. “Guns are different than drugs or money when we are trying to follow their trail. That is not acceptable.”

Holder said he made this clear to attorneys and ATF agents.

JR: THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT COMPLAINS THAT THEY WERE NOT INFORMED ABOUT THE “FAST AND FURIOUS” OPERATION. DID YOU AUTHORIZE THIS OPERATION AND WAS PRESIDENT CALDERON PROPERLY INFORMED ABOUT IT?

PBO: Well, first of all I did not authorize it. Eric Holder, the Attorney General, did not authorize it. He’s been very clear that our policy is to catch gun runners and put them into jail. So what he’s done is he’s assigned an I.G., an inspector general, to investigate what exactly happened…

JR: SO WHO AUTHORIZED IT?

PBO: Well, we don’t have all the facts. That’s why the I.G. is in business. To collect the facts.

JR: AND YOU WERE NOT EVEN INFORMED ABOUT IT?

PBO: Absolutely not, this is a pretty big government, the United States government. I got a lot of moving parts. But I want to be very clear, I spoke to President Calderon when he came to visit just a few weeks ago, our policy is to ramp up the interdiction of guns flowing south because that’s contributing to some of the security problems that are taking place in Mexico and what we are doing is trying to build the kind of cooperation between Mexico and the United States that we haven’t seen before. That ensures that we have a comprehensive approach. I’ve said to President Calderon and I’ve said it publicly, we’ve got obligations. It’s not just Mexico’s problem, it’s also our problem. We got to reduce demand for drugs, which is why even though we got obviously significant deficits; we are allocating 10 billion dollars in our budget to try to reduce demand through prevention programs and education programs. We have to make sure that we are enforcing the kinds of measures that will stop the flow of guns and cash down south that is helping to fuel these transnational drug cartels. So we’ve initiated excellent cooperation, there may be a situation here in which a serious mistake was made, if that’s the case then we’ll find out and will hold somebody accountable.

JR: MEXICO WAS NOT INFORMED THEN?

PBO: Well, if I wasn’t informed I assure you that Mexico wasn’t either.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
"I am not a crook!"

Uhh, yeah you are!  And your little bitch Erica too! 

And your  ::cussing:: IG report is designed only to haul some poor flunky out for scapegoating, you miserable lying POS!

And our feckless Congress sits with both thumbs up its ass!

::angry::

::overkill::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »

By the look on Boehner's face it's not thumbs.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
That's not from the tanning booth?! 

::speechless::

::hysterical::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »
"JR: AND YOU WERE NOT EVEN INFORMED ABOUT IT?

PBO: Absolutely not, this is a pretty big government, the United States government. I got a lot of moving parts. But I want to be very clear..."

...that I won't let that get in the way of any vacations or tee times.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 11:50:20 PM »

He's sending out a new message woven in the text. 
The other day he referred to "my citizens"
and in this - [blockquote]...PBO: Absolutely not, this is a pretty big government, the United States government. I got a lot of moving parts. But I want to be very clear..."[/blockquote]
- he does it again.

He says,  "my government.../...I got a lot of moving parts" 

This guy is getting way ahead of himself.

hemm

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
I keep thinking, what if this had been Bush or Cheney and some arm of Haliburton..........

not a peep of this so far this am on fox either........

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
Nappy is about to take one for the team.Then go after the DOJ and make them fight till 2012 do the old document search that the DOJ will refuse even if they don't exist. Keep asking for isn't there and accuse them of stonewalling day in and day out.

Near the election the question becomes what did Toonces know and when did he know it.Over and over and over till it becomes the only question on peoples mind. Is it treason to give weapons to drug runners Mr. President??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie