Author Topic: Evangelicals emerge from conference, throw support behind Santorum  (Read 1257 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
If Santorum could somehow catch fire, and knock off Gingrich and Perry early, I would enthusiastically support him, even though I have reservations about his commitment to conservative fiscal principles. Not because I love Santorum, but because I would give almost anything to have a viable conservative alternative to Romney besides Ron Paul. I just don't see it happening. But who knows.

Evangelicals Throw Support to Santorum

After a two day meeting at a ranch outside of Houston a group of 150 Christian leaders, business leaders and conservative activists have coalesced behind Rick Santorum.

Friday night surrogates from every GOP campaign (except that of Jon Huntsman) attended the meeting and made the case for their candidate.  Saturday leaders took part in a "passionate time" of discussions about what they're looking for in a conservative leader.  After three rounds of balloting Santorum emerged as the candidate leaders feel they can support.

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council says conservatives are looking for a candidate who will repeal the nation's health care law, fight for pro family values and address the national debt.

"Not a lot of time was spent talking about Mitt Romney" Perkins says.  He added, "it's not news" that there's not a lot of support among conservatives for Romney.  Perkins says Romney's Mormon religion was not discussed among those participating in the meeting.

So what does this mean?  Expect conservative groups to start individually motivating their constituents to work for Santorum.  Also look for more money and resources to start pouring into Santorum's campaign.  No question about it, this is excellent news for Santorum's camp and a major blow to the Gingrich and Perry camps.

ETA* I mistakenly said "Perry" instead of "Romney" in sentence #2. I corrected the mistake.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:54:26 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Evangelicals emerge from conference, throw support behind Santorum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
No big surprise

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Look for the MFM to initiate full-scale anti-Christian rants replete with hate-filled phrases like "right-wing evangelical extremists" in 3...2...1...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
Yep; Round Two of "bitter/clinger" talk with a fillip of "anti-Mormon bigotry".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
It appears there are conflicting conservative conferences going on in Houston this weekend.

[blockquote]

Link

Former Texas Congressman Dick Armey, former presidential hopeful Herman Cain and the Republican candidates hoping to succeed U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison are among the prominent names scheduled to speak to a weekend gathering of tea partiers at Minute Maid [baseball stadium] Park.

CLICK HERE to watch online.

http://saddleuptexaspoll.com/

[/blockquote]What's up with the competing and not unifying?  No published answers yet.

ETA: Senate Candidate Ted Cruz just took the podium, talking about Thermopylae.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
Houston's big enough for 3-4 conferences.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
Link [blockquote]
Perkins said they overlooked Rick Perry, for example, because, while they liked his record, they had concerns about his electability. Santorum’s strong showing in Iowa surely nudged the group in his direction.
 [/blockquote]
Looking everywhere for names, they throw the word "evangelical" around in the same fashion they throw around "conservative" and found some at .CNN
[blockquote]
The news media has made much of the meeting, which includes such well-known evangelicals as Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference president Rev. Samuel Rodriguez and former presidential candidate Gary Bauer.[/blockquote]

[And those names are credible.  But...]
[blockquote]...attendees have already signed up with different candidates.

Bauer is supporting Rick Santorum. American Family Association founder Don Wildmon is backing Newt Gingrich. Other participants have endorsed Rick Perry or Mitt Romney.[/blockquote]

This is another reason Conservatives never get anywhere, second only to Libertarians, Conservatives never work in tandem.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Like herding cats, I tell ya.  Very independent minded bunch.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »
Houston's big enough for 3-4 conferences.

My home town. It's like a cancer.

I would be okay with Santorum or Perry. I honestly do not know how ANYONE could vote for Romney after seeing this video. It's the one that Newt's PAC should have paid to run...

I've posted it before. I'll probably post it another time or two depending on how things go in the primaries. If you still haven't seen it yet go ahead and click on it. I'll wait while you watch it.

(Caution: Romney rant follows)

If you haven't seen it, well, it's all anyone needs to see to realize that Romney isn't electable no matter how much the media drones on about how he is. The man has zero core convictions. Heck, his religion is the same way...they used to be polygamous and now they aren't...they used to believe that black people were the spawn of satan and now they don't...and you can go back further and find all kinds of weird ass junk about mormonism. So it figures that Romney is a mormon. I honestly don't know how anyone trusts him to crap in the toilet rather than anywhere he happens to fancy.

He says that he is going to repeal ObongoCare. Repeal it. Not modify it or manage it smarter or anything like that but actually repeal it. Okay now...show of hands...who thinks that he will repeal it? *crickets* Exactly.

I sure didn't expect the evangelicals to endorse Romney. They wouldn't (and shouldn't have) on the basis of his goofy religious choice all by itself. To them (and to me) mormonism is a cult and is (especially by purporting to be a "Christian" religion) essentially heretical in its tenets. Now that's neither here nor there to most anyone outside of the Christian faith but it's a big deal to people who take Christianity seriously. For those who don't take Christianity seriously (and I don't care if you don't...that's your business) what you should know is that mormons are extremely clannish. If you don't like crony capitalism then you really won't like mormon clannishness. Put simply, mormons really don't like working closely with anyone who isn't a mormon. Think that a Romney presidency will have more than the statistical average of mormons on staff? Think again. I have no idea how you are supposed to conscript the very best executive branch talent out there when you are consciously trying to recruit as many mormons as possible. This is annoying in the private sector (and I know because I've been exposed to this BS personally) but in government it is unacceptable and possibly dangerous.

Okay, getting back to Santorum and Perry...I personally think that they are the only two left that are even vaguely conservative in nature. I found Perry's attack on Gingrich to be offensive and repugnant so barring some really fancy damage control I don't see him emerging as a force to be reckoned with but stranger things have happened.

As far as the actual influence the evangelical leadership might be able to throw at the race...it might have an impact in SC but maybe not anywhere else. Not anytime soon. But at this point Santorum will take whatever bone gets thrown his way.

And I thought that, given Obongo's weak polling and crappy record, this election was going be a boring runaway and that there would be no excitement whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:10:39 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Salt Lake City named America’s ‘gayest’ burg

"While those unfamiliar with the Beehive State are likely to conjure images of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, far-less-oppressive-than-it-used-to-be Salt Lake City has earned its queer cred," writes Matthew Breen for The Advocate, a national magazine for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »
I'm waiting to see who Jerry Falwell places his endorsement to.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Yer gonna' wait a long time.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »
Nice to see Cruz polling well, beyond that grasping anything but jello seems the order of the day.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »

JC Watts is on Fox right now.  He was at the evangelical meeting.  He is saying
the media and Chris Wallace misrepresented the meeting, that there was no
endorsement, that Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry had strong support.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Sounds like that part of the kids movie I watched once with my nephews...

"Mine!"  "Mine!"  "Mine!"

::)

ETA - Here ya go -

Mine mine mine (Finding Nemo)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:28:34 AM by Libertas »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
...And I thought that, given Obongo's weak polling and crappy record, this election was going be a boring runaway and that there would be no excitement whatsoever.

As it well should have been. All the GOP needed to do was recognize and respond to the concerns of the conservative electorate with whom the party claims allegiance. All the establishment  needed to do was allow the electorate to elevate a candidate from the grassroots without destroying those with whom it disagreed, and working the party machinery to produce a candidate that was unacceptable.

They will reap the consequence they deserve, possibly at the cost of the nation, the constitution, and liberty. Fools.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson