Author Topic: Politico and Facebook will be data-mining political FB comments and postings  (Read 521 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Facebook may give Barack Obama a slight edge this coming presidential election while creating a wide misperception about who’s actually pulling ahead in the Republican Party.

A new partnership between Facebook and Politico announced last week will reveal users’ private messages if and when they relate to their feelings about a political candidate.

It will consist of sentiment analysis reports and voting-age user surveys, accompanied by stories by Politico reporters. Most notably, the Facebook-Politico data set will include Facebook users’ private status messages and comments. While that may alarm some people, Facebook and Politico say the entire process is automated and no Facebook employees read the posts.

Rather, every post and comment — both public and private — by a U.S. user that mentions a presidential candidate’s name will be fed through a sentiment analysis tool that spits out anonymized measures of the general U.S. Facebook population.

H/T bonz
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
 ::facepalm::

And the Repub's will...do very little but grumble...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
I can't think of anything more worthless than a survey tied to Facebook .

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I can't think of anything more worthless than a survey tied to Facebook .

Unless it would be Facebood AND twitter.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson