Author Topic: North Korea jams South's guided missiles  (Read 2183 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
North Korea jams South's guided missiles
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »
North Korea jams South's guided missiles

Seoul has accused North Korea of using sophisticated jamming systems to block South Korean military signals and disrupt its guided missiles.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the strong jamming signals have been transmitting from the northern border city of Keasong since last week.

The purported purpose of the jamming was to disrupt navigational devices using Global Positioning Systems as a major joint military exercise is under way northwest of Seoul.

The jamming is believed to have prevented some U.S and South Korean bombs from hitting their targets during a military drill...

More @ link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: North Korea jams South's guided missiles
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
Just like the limited (3 meter) jammers available retail here to disrupt GPS units, same principle but on a larger scale.

Something tells me though that the Nork's may not have come up withthis themselves...the ChiCom's probably want to test to technology...since as a potential adversary we rely heavily upon the technology in our weapons systems.  Especailly since copying Rooskie technology is such a traditional ChiCom tactic.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
They may be able to jam signals in a particular area, but their transmitter is like a giant beacon in its own right. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to program a seeker to follow it home. Measure vs. countermeasure. Been going on for thousands of years!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
Good point G.  If anti-radiation munitions can home in on radar emissions, nailing this beacon shouldn't be much harder.

hemm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »
reminds me of the story that floats around about the state trooper that used radar outside an Air Force base and got lit up by the AF Jet radar..........depending on the version of the story you get.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:24 AM »
"Oops. Didn't mean to drop that ordinance on Pyongyang. Damn GPS system musta malfunctioned . . .".
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »
"Oops. Didn't mean to drop that ordinance on Pyongyang. Damn GPS system musta malfunctioned . . .".

What dis button fo ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
 ::hysterical::

Hey, that's a heck of an idea!