Author Topic: State of the Union address on 1-24-12  (Read 1086 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
State of the Union address on 1-24-12
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
I intend to add this to the collection of the others I haven't listened to by that man currently occupying the White House.

A palate-cleanser from Geo. Washington's first address:

Nor am I less persuaded that you will agree with me in opinion that there is nothing which can better deserve your patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness. In one in which the measures of government receive their impressions so immediately from the sense of the community as in ours it is proportionably essential.

To the security of a free constitution it contributes in various ways - by convincing those who are intrusted with the public administration that every valuable end of government is best answered by the enlightened confidence of the people, and by teaching the people themselves to know and to value their own rights; to discern and provide against invasions of them; to distinguish between oppression and the necessary exercise of lawful authority; between burthens proceeding from a disregard to their convenience and those resulting from the inevitable exigencies of society; to discriminate the spirit of liberty from that of licentiousness - cherishing the first, avoiding the last - and uniting a speedy but temperate vigilance against encroachments, with an inviolable respect to the laws.

<snip>

The welfare of our country is the great object to which our cares and efforts ought to be directed, and I shall derive great satisfaction from a cooperation with you in the pleasing though arduous task of insuring to our fellow citizens the blessings which they have a right to expect from a free, efficient, and equal government.

Washington's First State of the Union Address
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: State of the Union address on 1-24-12
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
Obama's SOTU show!  Pah!  I got better things to do.  I'm going to the range, continue to hone my skill.

Love the GW address though!  We should go back to the practice of letters vs shows! 

"vigilance against encroachments" 

::thumbsup::

I'm workin' on it!

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
How many times will Stymie say " Let me be clear " ?  I'll bet at least three times .

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
How many times will Stymie say " Let me be clear " ?  I'll bet at least three times .

How many times will he say:
1) me
2) I
3) blame (insert your choice)
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »

How many times will he say:
1) me
2) I
3) blame (insert your choice)

Dozens!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
  Do nothing congress should come up.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
I can't watch. I'll be looking for reruns of "Hoarders", "Dog the Bounty Hunter", or "Pawn Stars". Somebody let me know how badly I should seethe when it's all over.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
If you intend to watch (I won't), the words for the drinking game are:

"middle class" and "fair share"

Make sure you have a designated driver.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:29:20 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »
I can't watch. I'll be looking for reruns of "Hoarders", "Dog the Bounty Hunter", or "Pawn Stars". Somebody let me know how badly I should seethe when it's all over.

We've got last season's Fringe DVDs.  Don't waste your time seething, he ain't worth it, but resolve-stiffening is a worth goal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trap, I'm betting "fair share" alone would put me into liver failure.  If I watched.  Or dared drink that much.  Which I won't.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
  I'm watching and I'm not sure who this guy is.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
I'll find out anything I need to know about Captain Blowhard's little talk from Rush tomorrow.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »
I watched my Nashville predators take out the Chicago blackhawks for the 2nd time in 3 games.

I can't listen to a whiny, pencil necked liar using "fair share" way too any times.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »
I went to the range, a zillion times more enjoyable and productive than watching the POSOTUS spin one big lie after another!

O/T - Hey, how do you numerically score target hits?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »

If the hole touches the ring, the higher number is scored. Example: if the hole touches the line on the 7/8 ring, the score of 8 is counted. X is counted as 10. At least I think that's how it goes. Been a while since I kept score. Care to share some scores?

::popcorn::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
I watched "Priest" on the Stars network, and then caught the tail end of "Storage Wars". Did you know that old boy scout and cub scout badges and patches have collector value? Not too much if they're circa 1960s, but if they're from the 20s they can bring in some ching if they're in good shape.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

If the hole touches the ring, the higher number is scored. Example: if the hole touches the line on the 7/8 ring, the score of 8 is counted. X is counted as 10. At least I think that's how it goes. Been a while since I kept score. Care to share some scores?

Rats, tossed the targets in the trash this AM.  All I know is on my last box of 50 I had no misses, 32 in the first two rings, 15 in the 3rd and 3 in the 4th from 24' with a S&W snub .38 spcl.  I thought I did OK.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »

Rats, tossed the targets in the trash this AM.  All I know is on my last box of 50 I had no misses, 32 in the first two rings, 15 in the 3rd and 3 in the 4th from 24' with a S&W snub .38 spcl.  I thought I did OK.

From a 2" barrel........... ::cool::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »

From a 2" barrel........... ::cool::

Yeah, actually it says 1 7/8", close enough!  Going again tomorrow night.  My father, sister & BIL want to get another session in!

::thumbsup::