Author Topic: Newt - Back to the moon  (Read 814 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Newt - Back to the moon
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/01/newt-pledges-moon-base-by-second-term-112319.html

Sounds good, just make sure it stays commercial & private, not hijacked by Big Govt and its attendant waste and inefficiency!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Newt - Back to the moon
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »

I hope he predicated this with first vaporizing ObamaCare,
second vaporizing the EPA and telling drillers and miners to go for it,
neutered the Fed and established a sound US dollar for the world.  
After that I'll entertain anything he wants to say.  
I'll even offer him some sweet iced tea.

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
To a great extent, Newt is right.  We do need to maintain the lead in space exploration.  Yes a lot of it should be through the private sector, but we will need the government to not overburden companies with egregious regulations and assist them where needed.  The space program can continued exploration of space can create a lot of jobs and maintain them for many years.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
To a great extent, Newt is right.  We do need to maintain the lead in space exploration.  Yes a lot of it should be through the private sector, but we will need the government to not overburden companies with egregious regulations and assist them where needed.  The space program can continued exploration of space can create a lot of jobs and maintain them for many years.

Hey, good to see ya Delta Force. I like the fact that Gingrich is tapping into that exploratory American spirit. I do suspect though, that his timing is off. In a day when the nation's problems are so firmly rooted right here on earth, it is easy for his opponents and the media to ridicule the idea of Newt Gingrich leading the charge into outer space.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Mark Steyn's take

Newt, meanwhile, has committed himself to a lunar colony by the end of his second term, and, while pandering to an audience on Florida’s “Space Coast,” added that, as soon as there were 13,000 American settlers on the moon, they could apply for statehood. Ah, the old frontier spirit: I hear Laura Ingalls Wilder is already working on Little House in the Crater.
Maybe Newt’s on to something. Except for the statehood part. One day, when America gets the old foreclosure notice in the mail, wouldn’t it be nice to close up the entire joint, put the keys in an envelope, slide it under the door of the First National Bank of Shanghai, and jet off on Newt’s Starship Government-Sponsored Enterprise?

There are times for dreaming big dreams, and there are times to wake up. This country will not be going to the moon, any more than the British or French do. Because, in decline, the horizons shrivel. The only thing that’s going to be on the moon is the debt ceiling. Before we can make any more giant leaps for mankind, we have to make one small, dull, prosaic, earthbound step here at home — and stop. Stop the massive expansion of micro-regulatory government, and then reverse it. Obama has vowed to press on. If Romney and Gingrich can’t get serious about it, he’ll get his way.

The State of Our Union Is Broke