Author Topic: "Juan Epstein" of Welcome Back Kotter, Robert Hegyes, 60  (Read 1393 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"Juan Epstein" of Welcome Back Kotter, Robert Hegyes, 60
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
RIP. I was not aware that Hegyes was on "Cagney & Lacey". I s'pose that makes sense, since I never saw a signle episode of "Cagney & Lacey".

I am getting old

Robert Hegyes, the Jersey-born actor who played Jewish Puerto Rican wheeler-dealer Juan Luis Pedro Phillipo de Huevos Epstein on the 1970s classic "Welcome Back Kotter," died from an apparent heart attack after suffering chest pains at his Metuchen home this morning. He was 60.

Hegyes, who also co-starred on "Cagney and Lacey" and taught occasional master classes at his alma mater, Rowan University, was best known for his work on "Kotter," in which he performed alongside a young John Travolta as one of the tough remedial students known at the Sweathogs. Hegyes and nearly all of the original cast members reunited last year at the TV Land Awards to recognize the show's 35th anniversary.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "Juan Epstein" of Welcome Back Kotter, Robert Hegyes, 60
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Oh wow, 60.  He graduated Metuchen High School the year before I did.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
Wow, 60, bummer.  Sweathogs, jeesh, I almost forgot about that.  RIP.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:28:43 AM »
Mr. Kotter ...

Juan won't be in school today .

Epstein's Mother