Author Topic: Lottery winners refuse to come forward, reject winnings  (Read 1040 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Lottery winners refuse to come forward, reject winnings
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
Here's the story. A person or group has the winning ticket for $14 million. They form a trust and hire an attorney to collect the money. The lottery company tells the lawyer the law states you must collect the money in person for publicity purposes. The lawyer tells his client(s). They tell the lottery company to pound sand. They would rather remain anonymous than have the money. Then you read  this:

Now, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and attorney general's office have issued a joint statement saying they have opened an investigation into the case.

Now it doesn't state WHY they are investigating. No laws were broken. They didn't except the money. So why and what are they investigating?

Here's the link
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Lottery winners refuse to come forward, reject winnings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Apparantly the buyer doesn't want the pub.....but I don't see any law broken. The lottery should dump the money back into the pot. An investigation? For what?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
  Nobody walks away fron 14 mil. Something stinks with these guys if it is guys and not a person that owes tons to the government in taxes and is dodging the feds.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:42 AM »
Early in the lottery days, it was common for winners to form corporations and have a lawyer collect the winnings. The publicity from winning has a tendency to bring out the vultures from all directions. Since there were no publicity shots of the winners and the lottery boards couldn't brag, they changed the rules soon after. I'm sure there's a price I would go through the stunt, I'm just not sure what that price would be.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »
...I'm sure there's a price I would go through the stunt, I'm just not sure what that price would be.

1 million dollars
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
The lawyer cannot present the ticket for verification on behalf of his clients?

I'm sure the lottery officials love trotting out smiling faces for the press to see and ask all the dumb questions about what they'll do with the money.

Me personally, while I hate the idea of everybody I've ever known and many I may have never known pestering me, I would go along with it and when asked the stupid questions I would say "it's none of your fvcking business"!  Press conference over, where's my check, see ya later.

Then I'd burn my past and disappear.

Perhaps these people have good reasons not to come out, maybe they're crooks, maybe they used to be crooks and are in WitSec, who knows.  Nothing to investigate though, so why would the state waste money in the effort?  But they obviously suspect something is fishy with these folks, and once on the hunt, some dogs don't rest till something is cornered.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

Don't buy the lottery ticket if you don't want the hassle that goes along with it people.

jeeesh

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."