Author Topic: Marketplace Fairness Act?  (Read 722 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Marketplace Fairness Act?
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:15 AM »
Otherwise known as the "national online sales tax act"; advocated for by Mitch Daniels.

Who was rah-rahing for him running for president again?

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/01/21/mitch-daniels-going-with-marketplace-fairness-act/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Marketplace Fairness Act?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
Just say no

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »
HELL NO!

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »

All the company men talking company remedies for the
company, not for the nation or us.

All the talking heads cooing Romney tossing chicken bones
conjuring how he's got the numbers but when you look at
thesenumbers it's easy to see that he'll not win the national.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:30:08 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
There IS a problem with internet retailers bleeding states of brick-and-mortar businesses and the tax revenue they generate. So on one hand, I can see why a governor - even a conservative one - would see this as an issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't agree with a federal law as a remedy. I think a moratorium should be placed on all federal lawmaking. 20 years oughta do it, with 100 laws repealed every year in the interim.

But seriously, if the numbers are correct, and Indianans alone would pay $75 million more in sales taxes, that means the state of Indiana is losing out on $75 million in revenue, and Indiana businesses are losing out on much more than that in retail sales. So I get why a governor would be concerned.

Maybe they should shrink the state government by $75 million? Ever think of that Mitch?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »

That's the ticket, stop spending and start spending less.  There are also ways
to increase revenue such as increasing business.

Down here it came up as it did in CA about taxes on forwarding companies, for,
was it Amazon? It was an issue for about a day and there was no controversy. 
Do we tax them no.  Do we collect taxes from all the secondary aspects, such
as sales tax from all purchases from employees, and the overall economics benefit
of all the goods and services they purchase?  You betcha.   Bleeding the goose
doesn't make it lay more eggs.

It's the economy of scale.  Tax a few employees a lot or have everybody employed
and tax them a little.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
There IS a problem with internet retailers bleeding states of brick-and-mortar businesses and the tax revenue they generate. So on one hand, I can see why a governor - even a conservative one - would see this as an issue that needs to be addressed.

I don't agree with a federal law as a remedy. I think a moratorium should be placed on all federal lawmaking. 20 years oughta do it, with 100 laws repealed every year in the interim.

But seriously, if the numbers are correct, and Indianans alone would pay $75 million more in sales taxes, that means the state of Indiana is losing out on $75 million in revenue, and Indiana businesses are losing out on much more than that in retail sales. So I get why a governor would be concerned.

Maybe they should shrink the state government by $75 million? Ever think of that Mitch?

I'm sure Daniels would point out that in the last 6-7 years he's gotten Indiana's budget back to where it was 20 years ago (that may be off but he did something like that).  The state employs fewer than any other state.  What he did in Indiana was fueling the push for him to run.

But the idea that the government has right to get "revenue" from someone because they participate in free enterprise makes me sick.  Tax for what is appropriate and needed  instead of always looking for a way to get more money out of people.  Totally backwards.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
I agree, LV.  Why is there always an assumption that the government must get its revenue come Hell or high water?  Why is there never serious entertainment of the idea that maybe government should start cutting expenditures?  It's a back-and-forth, but that's the problem, the equilibrium has been shifted heavily toward the "revenue" argument for decades. It is time for it to start going back the other way.

The daggers have been out for Amazon and similar companies for a few years now. California's new tax law targeting Amazon via its independent affiliates simply had the effect of Amazon severing its relationship with all California-based affiliates. Many of them ended their businesses or moved to Nevada as a result, meaning those businesses now pay zero to California in taxes. The law of unintended consequences, a law that politicians never seem to comprehend.

On a related note, I read an article yesterday in the Wall Street Journal about stores (namely Target and Best Buy) trying to pressure suppliers into helping them combat the "showrooming" phenomenon. Evidently they're tired of people using their stores as a glorified showroom for items they later buy from Amazon for less. They want manufacturers to start producing model numbers and SKUs unique to their store to make it harder for people to do apples-to-apples comparisons with online retailers. Both this and the taxation efforts strike me as ultimately doomed to failure. This is the evolution of commerce, and the only thing that will be accomplished by these efforts is an artificially stonewalling, and only for a time.

I'm getting way more wordy than I meant to, so ultimately I think both of these things -- the attempted revenue capture and the actions of competitors -- amount to just so much p***ing into the wind. The dynamic of commerce is evolving, as ever. To me the whole "it's not fair that we have to charge sales tax and they don't" argument should just as likely lead to a conclusion of "let's eliminate it for everyone then". It shows just how unbalanced the equilibrium is that no one gives that option serious consideration, no the conclusion must be "what sort of mountains must we move so that government continues to get its precious revenue?" You can see other examples of this when government slaps a high sin tax on things that it ostensibly wants to eliminate, like tobacco and gambling. When those sins decline, they start scrambling and fretting about the loss of tax revenue.

One thing is for sure, artificial barriers to free commerce are doomed to fail over time.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »

This is the evolution of commerce,
<snip>

....should just as likely lead to a conclusion of "let's eliminate it for everyone then". It shows just how unbalanced the equilibrium is that no one gives that option serious consideration, no the conclusion must be "what sort of mountains must we move so that government continues to get its precious revenue?"

YES! YES! YES!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."