Author Topic: Is this English?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Is this English?
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
Get a load of what passes for English and political analysis at Yahoo News. Do they not employ editors? First of all, it reads like it was written by a Teen Beat reporter for Highlights Magazine. But even without the childish tone, the poor sentence structure, and typos, the absence of editing is simply remarkable. This is supposed to be NEWS. It's just shy of Onion-worthy.

Interesting Wording of Herman Cain's Endorsement of Newt Gingrich

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain has announced his endorsement of Newt Gingrich for the Republican nomination, according to Fox News. Cain's statement of endorsement was worded differently than a typical statement of support which should be noted. As a political scientist*, I am surprised by how few politicians, or attempted politicians, word their endorsements in this way.

When Cain told Fox News of his support for Gingrich, he went on to make a statement about Mitt Romney. The former candidate stated he was not against Romney and would support the former governor if he got the nomination. Traditionally, endorsers do not mention other candidates or make it appear they would support the others.

Placing all of my personal feelings about Cain and Gingrich aside, I have to point out how smart of a move this was for the pizza mogul. When a former candidate endorses on still in the race, he or she will show full unwavering support for the chosen one. If the endorsing former candidate's supporters may wonder who to support if the endorsed candidate drops out of the race.

::hysterical:: Resist we much!!!

By showing he would support Romney; (You sure you want a semi-colon in there buddy, or was it a comma you were lookin' for?) Cain has given his supporters future direction. He is also making a statement of unity for the Republican Party. As with most primaries, the Republicans are showing disunity right now as they decide which candidate to support. Once one is chosen, they need to come together behind one common person if they truly want a chance to win back the White House.

At the same time, Cain is leaving the door open for connections with Romney in the future. Many former candidates will burn bridges with other active candidates. While Cain and Romney did bump heads along the campaign path, obviously this fight did not get personal. Remember, it was Romney who never wanted to comment on the harassment allegations against the Father of the 9-9-9 Plan.

This could leave opportunities open in the future for Cain to do work with Romney if the former governor gets the Republican nod. Most endorsers would only leave one door open in the future. "The Hermanator" has left potential doors open with both Gingrich and Romney and this was a very smart move.

*Perhaps that explains it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:45:55 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Is this English?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »

IDP, did you post this just to get me riled up?
 ::oldman::

Writing like this--

Makes.Me.Sick.

This is like all those drivers I encounter regularly who don't understand how a 4-way stop works.  So they just make it up. 

The sad thing is most people won't realize that article is poorly written.  Nor care.  It seems that as long as I can remember people have been looking for an excuse not to learn proper grammar and good writing skills. 

But rather than offer excuses people now behave as if poor writing is acceptable--what matters is the idea.  My nephew's spelling curriculum at school consisted of spelling in whatever way he wanted.  What was important was he was trying so the teacher told his mother correction wasn't necessary but encouraging him to try was.  She asked my opinion and I told her it was a crock (nicely, of course)  I said kids are more than able to learn to spell correctly and I think they actually want to learn correct spelling and grammar.  But she ignored me....I guess it's easier to hope the teacher is right rather than have to exert effort and help your own kid to learn and go against the establishment.   ::gaah::

I mean there's spell check right?  Who needs to know correct spelling now anyway?

Well, people can't even be bothered to click on check spelling.

When I come across copy like the example from IDP I can't even read it OR understand it. If one of my kids gave me something like that I wouldn't waste my time correcting it--I'd toss it to her with a warning never to give me something like that again.

This example is also a sign that these sorts of writers are not reading or they are not reading quality materials because if they were they'd at least have a basic understanding of how to write. 

I had my junior in high school start writing papers on a regular basis in 7th grade.  I gave her very little instruction in "paper-writing".  All along she'd read volumes of great literature and had grammar and spelling everyday for years. I read her first essay and was blown away and showed it to her in-college sisters.  They were impressed and concluded that all the reading she'd done had assimilated into the way she organized her thoughts before she ever wrote a word. 

My youngest is in that stage where she's constantly (and I mean constantly) asking me to spell words for her. 

In our house you can have a good idea and express it properly.

:)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Well in my house I'm still an old Marine and my better half (English Editor) still yells when I call from across the room how do you spell..........???????????? ???
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
Well in my house I'm still an old Marine and my better half (English Editor) still yells when I call from across the room how do you spell..........???????????? ???

At least you ask!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

hemm

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »
Please don't kill my account. I left you a message IDP.

hemmmmmmmmmm

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »

Well, Hemm you could come around a little more often.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
Please don't kill my account. I left you a message IDP.

hemmmmmmmmmm

That'll never happen hemm. Got your message, hope things go well.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
For what it's worth Hemm - you're missed.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
  I send toons and still I don't hear from you. Is everthing OK?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:40:46 AM »
Get a load of what passes for English and political analysis at Yahoo News. Do they not employ editors? First of all, it reads like it was written by a Teen Beat reporter for Highlights Magazine. But even without the childish tone, the poor sentence structure, and typos, the absence of editing is simply remarkable. This is supposed to be NEWS. It's just shy of Onion-worthy.

Interesting Wording of Herman Cain's Endorsement of Newt Gingrich

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain has announced his endorsement of Newt Gingrich for the Republican nomination, according to Fox News. Cain's statement of endorsement was worded differently than a typical statement of support which should be noted. As a political scientist*, I am surprised by how few politicians, or attempted politicians, word their endorsements in this way.

When Cain told Fox News of his support for Gingrich, he went on to make a statement about Mitt Romney. The former candidate stated he was not against Romney and would support the former governor if he got the nomination. Traditionally, endorsers do not mention other candidates or make it appear they would support the others.

Placing all of my personal feelings about Cain and Gingrich aside, I have to point out how smart of a move this was for the pizza mogul. When a former candidate endorses on still in the race, he or she will show full unwavering support for the chosen one. If the endorsing former candidate's supporters may wonder who to support if the endorsed candidate drops out of the race.

::hysterical:: Resist we much!!!

By showing he would support Romney; (You sure you want a semi-colon in there buddy, or was it a comma you were lookin' for?) Cain has given his supporters future direction. He is also making a statement of unity for the Republican Party. As with most primaries, the Republicans are showing disunity right now as they decide which candidate to support. Once one is chosen, they need to come together behind one common person if they truly want a chance to win back the White House.

At the same time, Cain is leaving the door open for connections with Romney in the future. Many former candidates will burn bridges with other active candidates. While Cain and Romney did bump heads along the campaign path, obviously this fight did not get personal. Remember, it was Romney who never wanted to comment on the harassment allegations against the Father of the 9-9-9 Plan.

This could leave opportunities open in the future for Cain to do work with Romney if the former governor gets the Republican nod. Most endorsers would only leave one door open in the future. "The Hermanator" has left potential doors open with both Gingrich and Romney and this was a very smart move.

*Perhaps that explains it.

If this article represents the direction in which liberal journalism is headed ... then we have nothing to worry about . Give them another decade ( if we have that long ) and they won't be able to write an intelligable sentence .

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:53 AM »
Well, consider this particular tard's target audience

David  •  1 day 18 hrs ago Report Abuse

HERMAn CAIN HAS SUPPORTERS?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
As a political scientist*

Yes, everything is explained with mention of that failing in life.