Author Topic: Bioethicists Suggest Killing Someone With ‘No Autonomy Left’ Is Not Morally Wron  (Read 1137 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
We are really entering dangerous territory here, particularly with the onset of Obamacare's IPAB, where people are referred to as "units".

The crux of the matter is the article two "bioethicists" have written advocating for organ harvesting from live "donors"; how, in many cases, the rules are already being ignored, and their opinions for why human life has no more value than a weed.

Two bioethicists — one from Duke University, the other from the National Institute of Health — bring up the question “What makes killing wrong?” in the latest issue of the Journal of Medical Ethics. Using their definition of killing, the authors conclude if the person is “universally and irreversibly disabled” and has “no abilities to lose” then killing them to take organs for donation in order to save the lives of others should not be considered morally wrong.

“[T]he dead donor rule is routinely violated in the contemporary practice of vital organ donation. Consistency with traditional medical ethics would entail that this kind of vital organ donation must cease immediately. This outcome would, however, be extremely harmful and unreasonable from an ethical point of view [because patients who could be saved will die]. Luckily, it is easily obviated by abandoning the norm against killing.”

[...]

“If killing were wrong just because it is causing death or the loss of life, then the same principle would apply with the same strength to pulling weeds out of a garden. If it is not immoral to weed a garden, then life as such cannot really be sacred, and killing as such cannot be morally wrong.”

BioEdge clarifies that the authors seeks to better define just what is considered killing. It adds that the authors suggest killing someone with “no autonomy left” cannot be considered “unfair” or disrespectful because it “if it does her no harm.”

So, killing someone now is "doing her no harm".

This is abortion carried to its logical conclusion.

eta:  And the writing in this piece is no great shakes either, IDP.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I suggest that using their logic, beheading bioethicists with an axe is not morally wrong.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
If one believes that pulling a weed ( "a vegetable") is no different than pulling the oxygen on a disabled person ("a vegetable") then I guess killing a person is okay.

This is the downside to accepting the separation of faith from life's challenges/work/school/etc or believing a faith in God/religion has no relevance.  Faith in God as a society keeps us from being barbarians whether any one person chooses to believe or not in a higher being.

But larger and larger segments of the population no longer believe religion or faith in God as an active part of their life is needed.  But without that basis they have no point of reference.  Thus one is likely to be persuaded of the merits of an argument based on a false premise (pulling a weed is killing) and in fact feel quite virtuous on pulling grandma's plug.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I suggest that using their logic, beheading bioethicists with an axe is not morally wrong.

As long as you give their body parts to more worthy people of course.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

With the head removed it is merely lifeless tissue.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Sick, sorry & twisted.

These people have no clue what "ethics" are because they obviously have no moral compass.  Probably hardcore Darwinists who view religious and moral people as weak-minded fools.

As soon as they try to murder someone for their organs, they should be charged with murder and upon conviction promptly executed.

That will stop these murderers in their tracks.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
All signs are now pointing to this: the Left is overdue for another episode of or attempt at mass genocide. Throughout history, collectivists have devised novel rationalizations for it, and they've always had a "leftist" mindset even before that term came into usage.

They might as well title their paper "Life Unworthy of Life" like the Nazis did (lebensunwertes Leben) in reference to the severely handicapped, which soon led to gassing them with the exhaust fumes of trucks modified for the purpose.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Well, they do have that progressive eugenics pedigree in their ideological tree G, so yeah, so an outlandish scenario it is not.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
As soon as they try to murder someone for their organs, they should be charged with murder and upon conviction promptly executed.

Start with abortionists.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Start with abortionists.

Oh, but they've been granted constitutional protection!

So, pass an amendment, then get 'em.

Or we can simply wait for the revolution....all chips will be on the table then anyway...