Author Topic: Natural disaster in Tombstone, AZ. escalated into Federal disaster  (Read 1565 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Here’s what happened in Tombstone:

Between May and July 2011, the Monument Fire engulfed a large part of the eastern portion of the Huachuca Mountains. Record-breaking monsoon rains followed. With no vegetation to absorb the runoff, huge mudslides forced boulders to tumble down the mountain sides, crushing Tombstone’s mountain spring waterlines, destroying reservoirs and shutting off Tombstone’s main source of water. In some areas, Tombstone’s pipeline is under 12 feet of mud, rocks and other debris; while in other places, it is hanging in mid-air due to the ground being washed out from under it.

So the city got to work repairing the system so the people of Tombstone could have water. Believe it or not, water is kind of a big thing in the desert.

But when the federal government found out what they were doing, they stopped them ...

Citing the Wilderness Act, the Forest Service is refusing to allow the city to repair its waterlines to mountain springs it has owned for nearly seventy years – and which date back to the 1880s. This refusal is threatening residents, private property and public safety with the risk of a total loss of fire protection and safe drinking water.

…

…federal bureaucrats are refusing to allow Tombstone to unearth its springs and restore its waterlines unless they jump through a lengthy permitting process that will require the city to use horses and hand tools to remove boulders the size of Volkswagens.
[/b]

John Stossel had the president of the Goldwater Institute on his show to talk about this:

ONLY horses and handtools.  NO WHEELBARROWS EITHER.

A New Showdown in Tombstone

H/T Another Joe
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Natural disaster in Tombstone, AZ. escalated into Federal disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »
When is some town, some county, some state going to tell the Feds to just FOAD and then go do what they need to do?  Sure, let them make a big show of sending in the JBTs to haul off people for the crime of trying to restore their community's water supply. Dare them to do it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
When is some town, some county, some state going to tell the Feds to just FOAD and then go do what they need to do?  Sure, let them make a big show of sending in the JBTs to haul off people for the crime of trying to restore their community's water supply. Dare them to do it.

That's what I'm wondering, Glock.  When are people going to stand up on their hind legs and stop playing the game of going to court?

The goal, really, is to prevent any further development anywhere and to run off/shut down civilization where it now exists -- Agenda 21.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
When is some town, some county, some state going to tell the Feds to just FOAD and then go do what they need to do?  Sure, let them make a big show of sending in the JBTs to haul off people for the crime of trying to restore their community's water supply. Dare them to do it.

That's what I'm wondering, Glock.  When are people going to stand up on their hind legs and stop playing the game of going to court?

The goal, really, is to prevent any further development anywhere and to run off/shut down civilization where it now exists -- Agenda 21.

They do, from time to time out West, when the Feds do something stupid enough that lives are threatened.  And we may see it here.

After all, the water line was there before the "wilderness," and the Fed had to get Tombstone's permission to make it one, back when.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
I agree, defy them, these punks need to butt out of local affairs now, not later!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 07:02:58 AM »
The city should have stopped their effort for a day - long enough to consult the state and declare their intentions to the Governor and state police - and then began where they left off the day prior. The Governor should have then declared that the city of Tombstone was authorized to ignore the federal edict in as embarrassing a manner for the federal government and Obama as possible, along with the promise that any effort by the federal government to interfere would be met with arrest and prosecution.

We NEED this. Please. Somebody. America needs this form of civil disobedience desperately.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »
Agree 100%!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
The city should have stopped their effort for a day - long enough to consult the state and declare their intentions to the Governor and state police - and then began where they left off the day prior. The Governor should have then declared that the city of Tombstone was authorized to ignore the federal edict in as embarrassing a manner for the federal government and Obama as possible, along with the promise that any effort by the federal government to interfere would be met with arrest and prosecution.

We NEED this. Please. Somebody. America needs this form of civil disobedience desperately.

As I understand it, Governor Brewer declared the area in a State of Emergency.  One would think that would have given the town all the "permission" they needed to continue.