Author Topic: Catholic Bishops to Obama on health care diktat: Pound sand  (Read 6254 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Catholic Bishops to Obama on health care diktat: Pound sand
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
I've been saying for two years that the only resistance to the burdensome regulatory regime in the absence of legislatively gutting bureaucracies, is for corporations and citizens to secure the support of a state in defiance to the regime, and thereby force the federal government to either craft legitimate laws, send in tanks, or stand down.

Well finally, a shadow of what I've been calling for for two years will be attempted by an organization with perhaps more universal ability to resist than even a state: the Catholic Church.

Bishops pledge to defy Obama administration on contraception mandate

Earlier this month, HHS issued a finding that reaffirmed its position that all employers had to comply with a new mandate to provide contraception support in health-care plans — even religious organizations whose doctrines oppose pre- and post-conception intervention.  Needless to say, the decision — which gives churches and other explicitly religious organizations only a one-year waiver to comply — are outraged over the intrusion on their consciences.  Three Catholic bishops announced yesterday that they will defy the Obama administration and fight the rule, and more will surely follow:

[blockquote]At least three Catholic bishops have said they will not comply with the mandate the Obama administration put in place recently in Obamacare that will force religious employers to pay for birth control, contraception and drugs that may cause abortions in their health care plans.

The Obama Administration issued a statement re-iterating the “contraceptive mandate” requiring all insurance providers cover the full range of FDA-approved drugs and devices would remain intact. This mandate, originally proposed in August, includes drugs that work after conception to destroy life rather than prevent it. The statement included a postponement of one year for religious groups that do not already carry contraceptives and additionally would not be exempted under last year’s narrow definition of “religious employer.”

The mandate not only violates such existing conscience protections on abortion such as the Hyde/Weldon Amendment (in so far as Plan B and Ella are covered), but also violates the principles of the Church Amendments which protects conscience rights for those who object to contraceptives and other services on moral or religious grounds.

Responding to it, Bishop Thomas Olmstead of Phoenix announced that his diocese will not comply with the mandate and Archbishop Dennis Schnurr of Cincinnati and Bishop David Ricken of Green Bay, agreed to refuse to comply.[/blockquote]

The Bishops' joint statement:

We cannot – we will not comply with this unjust law. People of faith cannot be made second-class citizens. We are already joined by our brothers and sisters of all faiths and many others of good will in this important effort to regain our religious freedom. Our parents and grandparents did not come to these shores to help build America’s cities and towns, its infrastructure and institutions, its enterprise and culture, only to have their prosperity stripped of their God given rights. In generations past, the Church has always been able to count on the faithful to stand up and protect her sacred rights and duties. I hope she can trust on this generation of Catholics to do the same. Our children and grandchildren deserve nothing less.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Catholic Bishops to Obama on health care diktat: Pound sand
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
We cannot and will not ....

Damn right.

Now, we'll see how the administration reacts.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
They'll carve out an exception and the rest of the evil monstrosity will march merrily on...

That's just my prediction though...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
They'll carve out an exception and the rest of the evil monstrosity will march merrily on...

Or the State will seize the assets and try to run them without the Catholic Church.
The  Church should have theatened to simply close down the facilities in total. 
They can carve out an exception, but it will be hard to deny others in court.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
 ::dueling::

bring it on!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

Or the State will seize the assets and try to run them without the Catholic Church.
The  Church should have theatened to simply close down the facilities in total. 
They can carve out an exception, but it will be hard to deny others in court.

Closing facilities would make it the Church's choice and Obambi would say he had nothing to do with it. Keeping them open forces the O to make the choice.Let him force the issue.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »

"I think the Obama administration has declared war on the Catholic community."
_ _ _ Bill Donohue, President, Catholic League

Glenn Beck & Bill Donohue Discuss Obama Admin vs. Catholic Church Contraception Debate - Part II

‘To Hell With You’
    HHS Edict Will Force Catholics to Violate Conscience
   January 27, 2012    By Bishop David A. Zubik

Kathleen Sebelius and through her, the Obama administration, have said “To Hell with You” to the Catholic faithful of the United States.
•To Hell with your religious beliefs,
•To Hell with your religious liberty,
•To Hell with your freedom of conscience.
We’ll give you a year, they are saying, and then you have to knuckle under. As Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops responded, “in effect, the president is saying that we have a year to figure out how to violate our consciences.”

As I wrote to you last September, with this mandate the democratic process is being ignored while we are being ordered to ignore our religious beliefs. And we are being told not only to violate our beliefs, but to pay directly for that violation; to subsidize the imposition of a contraceptive and abortion culture on every person in the United States.

It is time to go back to work. They have given us a year to adapt to this rule.  We can’t! We simply cannot!

Write to the president.

Write to Secretary Sebelius.

Write to our Senators.

Write to those in Congress.

Use the PA Catholic Advocacy Network to send an email message, too.

I have included the addresses in a box accompanying this article.
Here’s what you can write: ...Link

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
Good idea, CO, well, except for writing to Stymie, you know his people will just chuck that crap in the trash unread, better off using the resources on people you have a chance of influencing.

::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
We cannot and will not ....

Damn right.

Catchy phrase. There's a song there somewhere..............
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
Nancy Pelosi vows to stand with Barack Obama against the Catholic Church and religious freedom.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/pelosi-vows-to-stand-with-obama-against-catholic-church-religious-freedom/

This twit is a Catholic, right?  The Church could regain much of its credibility if it called a press conference and excommunicated this evil woman!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
Nancy Pelosi vows to stand with Barack Obama against the Catholic Church and religious freedom.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/pelosi-vows-to-stand-with-obama-against-catholic-church-religious-freedom/

This twit is a Catholic, right?  The Church could regain much of its credibility if it called a press conference and excommunicated this evil woman!

Does the Catholic Church still do exorcisms?
  ::thinking::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »

Apparently it doesn't even excommunicate.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
We're going to have to move this into a new category soon!

“This is going to be fought out with lawsuits, with court decisions, and, dare I say it, maybe even in the streets,” Donohue said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/catholic-league-poised-to-go-to-war-with-obama-over-mandatory-birth-control-payments/

Amen!

::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »
“...... dare I say it, maybe even in the streets,” Donohue said.

Are we there yet?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
“...... dare I say it, maybe even in the streets,” Donohue said.

Are we there yet?

Damn close, really damn close.  Given the advent of NADA et all, the warning against "extremists" fed up with excessive taxation and regulation, and now religious "extremists"   ::)  joining the fray...I fear they are pushing as hard as they can to trigger an event and plunge us all over the cliff.

Sumbiches should be careful what they wish for, but alas that warning appears to fall on deaf ears.  The insane seem to think they have everything in hand and under control.  It's usually at that point where the fit really hits the shan.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
  I think it's time for the Pope to pay a visit to his highness and fix it in public once and for all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »

His Ø'ness just lost a minimum of 15% of the moderate vote.

To the tune of ::dancinginthestreets::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »

His Ø'ness just lost a minimum of 15% of the moderate vote.

To the tune of ::dancinginthestreets::

Hopefully. But the Catholic tendency to vote Democrat is just like the Jews in the way it is against the interests of both; as Rush likes to point out liberals are liberals first and foremost. Liberalism is their real religion.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
Fox News reported this morning that military chaplains were told not to read a letter at Mass on Sunday about it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »
More separation issues...they can tell Duh Wun to stay out of church biz!