Author Topic: War between conservatives and the Republican Establishment  (Read 730 times)

charlesoakwood

War between conservatives and the Republican Establishment
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

[blockquote]Republican of the day. That would be New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey, February 1949 -- months after he had managed to lose the presidency.[said],  (Page 3 of 7)
The Republican Party is split wide open. It has been split wide open for years, but we have tried to gloss it over….We have in our party some fine, high-minded patriotic people who honestly oppose… social programs (as) horrendous departures into paternalism…
[/blockquote]

Understanding The Current Primary

Read this entire piece by Jeff Lord at AmSpec.  
There is mush much wisdom in it. So much so, it's difficult to pull just one quote. How about what Gerald Ford thought of Ronald Reagan?
[blockquote]Writes DeFrank of what Ford really thought: Translation: The thought of Ronald Reagan becoming my party's nominee makes me want to puke. [/blockquote]

Newt, Palin, Perry, Santorum, the people mean nothing to me in a particular political sense. It is what they stand for that I fight. If Santorum were up in the polls, I'd fight for him - and have, actually - just as I am fighting for Newt Gingrich as a banner, of sorts - a flag, if you will. I am fighting for conservatism, not some personality, or individual, alleged character flaws, idiosyncrasies and what not and all. I couldn't care less about that stuff right now.

I don't know how this primary ends, except that, hopefully, conservatives will continue to fight on as long as we can under whatever banner is left to us. Maybe we break through and win this year. Maybe we don't. Maybe we get to play a bigger and real role - as opposed to the usual pandering BS - at the convention, maybe we don't. This could be a break through year, or a set-up year as Goldwater was for Reagan and Reagan was for himself before 1980 when he finally broke through.

What I do know is that if we don't fight each and every battle and every time we have any banner to assemble and fight under, however tattered, to carry into the fight, we will lose. And when we lose, America loses. That's what I'm ultimately fighting for.

America has already lost much, to the point it's beginning to look like a nation of losers, not winners possessing the American spirit as I, a conservative, appreciate it. Call it the American Spirit, patriotism, American Exceptionalism, I don't care. But don't call it Newt Gingrich, or Sarah Palin, or Rick Santorum, they are merely fellow warriors just like you and me. It is something far greater that we are fighting for in this primary. And it's damned sure well worth the fight. So, fight on, conservatives, as long as we can in 2012. And, when the battle ends, rest, for we must live to fight on and again.

Now, as I suggested, read Jeff Lord's column here  and, by the by, tell Rich Lowry, Jennifer Rubin and whomever else, to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Being such major elitist, establishment buttholes, they shouldn't have a problem doing that at all.

HT:Dan Riehl

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: War between conservatives and the Republican Establishment
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
Good article.

This conservative saw the pathetic excuse for a slate of candidates and knew that we were poised to blow an essential opportunity. But I was obliged to work with what we had and so studied the candidates every way I could. In the end I knowingly settled - I calculated my drop-dead position and selected that candidate.

As I suspected, one by one the conservatives fell away. The pubbies have always been uncomfortable around strong men and women - people who actually have principles and hold them dear - so it isn't unexpected that they would again gravitate towards the least common denominator - that would be mitt romney.

Sorry, but he is a bridge too far. I cannot in good conscience support or vote for him. The more that I've seen of him in the past two weeks makes my flesh crawl.

Besides, all the pundits tell me that they don't need me and my bigoted vote anyway. So it's a win-win. I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I didn't vote for a creep and they'll go around sniffing each others butts and telling each other that they really are better than us.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »
Soup:  "I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I didn't vote for a creep and they'll go around sniffing each others butts and telling each other that they really are better than us."

Disconsent

"        No matter who you vote for, the government gets elected.
        Traditional, cited by Francis Porretto, eternityroad.info

Referendums are a wonderful thing in theory, a direct vote by the electorate, as close to unalloyed democracy as there is. But, astoundingly, referendums are routinely nullified by federal courts. The losing side argues referendums suffer from an excess of democracy, their exact words in one California case, and the court agrees. Apparently the electorate needs protection from itself, we aren't good enough for us. So the regime uses its voter nullification card, you know, the one they deal from the bottom of the deck.

We should learn a deep lesson from this experience: referendums are an expensive, resource-consuming hoax. Voters are trained to jump through hoops like good little dogs just to get what is rightfully theirs, but if our rulers are unhappy with the outcome we get training of a different kind. It's the regime's way of telling us they will not let us decide anything of importance. Referendums are bogus and national elections are bogus. How could they make it more clear?

This is voter replacement. When DC wants to know what we think, it asks itself. We've been unreliable lately, sometimes to the point of defiance. It's too chancey to consult us. So they rally some supporters, take some pictures—done. Their media will take it from there. They already know what we should think. Our benighted orneriness just delays the inevitable. Now we're their audience, free to applaud or jeer. But they will not tolerate our actual involvement. It's more prudent to legislate in secret session and present it as a done deal, or embed it in unrelated bills and act surprised later. DC learns lessons too.

Independent citizens are left with only one meaningful vote, the one they make with their feet. They go Galt, they disengage, from the cities especially, leaving behind reservations skilled only in drawing provisions from the outside, its wards brim with net consumers, growth is reckoned in clients, the demanding and improvident kind —the least among us in every sense, but civic-minded, meaning they can be rounded up and trotted to the polls where the future earnings of the productive are auctioned off for votes. Who's entitled to our earnings has already been decided, and it isn't us. Only its distribution is up for bid. As with all found wealth, things can get ugly. Their job is to keep it orderly, or orderly enough. Cue the "applause" sign.

The regime prefers such fragile prey, tense gaggles of dependent inmates stumbling around in a fogbound maze, cognitively-unarmed quarry enmeshed in each other's mini-insurgencies, unrelieved propaganda blaring from every direction, sometimes set to music as if to emphasize its underlying nature. No longer allowed to make natural adjustments on common ground, the nation partitions itself, some clinging to DC, others fending off DC.

DC simply won't allow real change because it's not our government, it's their government. They own it. Ask them. In so many words they'll tell you they're an exceptionally full-service outfit, judge-jury-jailer, inescapable banker, and oh yes, indisputable advisor on personal matters. Voters are clients. Anything of importance is pre-decided. They debate the details of compliance, nothing more. It doesn't matter which franchise we patronize, the holding company wins either way.

The elections are supposed to indicate the presence of democracy, but they do not. Elections do not determine policy but only the division of spoils... The way to have elections without having a democracy is to let the people vote, but not on anything... Having a one party system called by two names is a technically slick way of disenfranchising the public without their noticing.
    Fred Reed, fredoneverything.net

Well-spoken dimwits from the Emerald City periodically venture into "the field"—their term—with dazzling road shows, scolding and imploring and cajoling us to elect them wizard or subwizard or wizardette. They do this as if their seating arrangement should matter to us, which is all that's being decided. No, it's the turnout that matters. Not to the voters, why would it? Turnout matters because it's their best claim to legitimacy. "Get out the vote" says as much.

Monarchies and totalitarian states of the past have reconciled themselves to an inescapable fact, legitimacy comes only from the consent of the governed. No-choice elections are not consent. Imported electorates and busloads of professional voters are not consent. Supreme Court decisions are not consent. The People know fraud when they smell it. In the Soviet Union, where honest talk, plainly put, was also punishable—they invented the self-censorship we call political correctness, turnout was 99%. High turnout was equated with consent. It validated their owner-operator license. Other than a few new butts on the same old seats, seventy years of bogus elections changed nothing. Change occured deeper in the plumbing.

As Mark Twain said, if voting changed anything it would be illegal. If the destination of the bus doesn't change, why would changing the driver matter? What then? Shall we merely hope for a good outcome? Hope doesn't change anything, hope reveals powerlessness. There is but one legal strategy remaining. Withhold our vote and withhold our consent. Reclaim our own legitimacy, one citizen at a time. Rather than throw our vote away, stay out of national elections. Vote "none of the above". This is our real civic duty. It's not as if we're missing an opportunity, the fix is in whichever way it goes.

As long as the entrenched elite had control of the illusion, the illusion of control works for them. However, the opposite is also true, and this is where we find ourselves now ... they are stepping outside of the inherent common consensus understanding of USA democracy at such a level as to disrupt the illusion... The herd is smelling the slaughter house.
    Clif High, quoted by Michael Krieger of KAM LP at zerohedge.com"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
That's extremely good.

The article that Charles posted demonstrates that the power elites within the Republican party have embraced and relied on the doctrine of the captive vote - that conservatives would stomp their feet and pound their fists at the summary dismissal of their ideas and candidates and then vote pubbie because we "have no place else to go".

The Michael Medveds and the Charles Krauthammers and George Wills issue their gentle scolds for us to fall into line and squint our eyes so that we can pretend when we look at mittens we somehow a conservative warrior where all I see is a liberal Republican whore.

And it's been going on for a very long time. Too long for me to continue this abuse.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:42:30 PM by Alphabet Soup »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »
The way I see it is we play their game or we institute a new strategery.

I was never a good game-player; I'm a sledgehammer by birth.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »
Does this mean that if "my" particular candidate isn't the nominee , I should stay home on election day ?

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:20:29 AM »
I'm not staying home.
I'm voting Constitutim Party.

There is no differencce between Newt and Mitt.
Both favor the individual mandate, cap and trade and lots of other crap

Santorum just wants to go to war and he has no chance.

Loony old uncle may be able to shake things up in no one has 50%

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
From the first article, one glaring error -

"This could be a break through year, or a set-up year as Goldwater was for Reagan and Reagan was for himself before 1980 when he finally broke through."

There are no set-up years left, there simply is not enough time to wait for a savior, there are no saviors or time to wait on them, let us dispell ourselves of that false hope once and for all.

From the WPR article -

"The herd is smelling the slaughter house."

That "herd" better increase in size, sure seemed AWOL in FL!

Pan - "I was never a good game-player; I'm a sledgehammer by birth."  Amen, sister!  Time for us to swing away!   ::thumbsup::

SH - "Does this mean that if "my" particular candidate isn't the nominee , I should stay home on election day ?"

No.  There are still other races that matter that may help plug the leaking dam, the dam may bust anyway, but it's worth a shot.  What you do with a POTUS vote is up to you, I won't tell anybody else what to do, I just know what I won't do.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Here's the thing, the charge of "taking your ball and going home" has been leveled against conservatives election after election, and the conservative base has pretty much always held its nose and voted for the lackluster nominee anyway. The squishy moderates, the establishment, on the other hand? They're anything but the team players they implore conservatives to be.

So yeah, take your ball and go home. The real tragedy is that we weren't more strident many election cycles ago, when the stakes weren't nearly as high as they are now. We could have disabused the GOP of its notions that they can cater to the rudderless middle because we're already in the bag. We are in many ways the black vote of the GOP. This phenomenon of the "captive electorate" is going to continue as long as we continue playing the role of Oliver Twist asking for seconds after they contemptuously fill our bowls with disgusting gruel.

This is who we are, vis-a-vis the GOP establishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:27:17 AM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Yeah , throw the gruel back in their face and beat the pot over their rotten heads!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
Does this mean that if "my" particular candidate isn't the nominee , I should stay home on election day ?

Come election day I'm sure I'll see 10 or more choices for me.  Eight of them won't say "Barack Obama" or "Willard Romney."

I imagine I'll find someone among the eight to vote for. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

"Let your conscience be your guide"