Author Topic: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, TSUNAMI & NOW VOLCANO STRIKE JAPAN  (Read 33283 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE & TSUNAMI STRIKES JAPAN
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
Very dramatic (low res) airborne video of tsunami sweeping across well populated area. You can see vehicles attempting to race away from the water while a few, oblivious to the danger, actually are driving toward the oncoming wall of water.

Earthquake and Tsunami Japan 2011 March 11
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:53:10 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
I think we should take a moment to say a prayer for the people missing and hurt! ::praying::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
FNC is now reporting that Toyota has ceased all production for the foreseeable future. This is what an economic shutdown looks like. Unless things miraculously turn around pretty damn quick the effects of this mess will be VERY far reaching.

Offline Roy Rogers

• When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
I think we should take a moment to say a prayer for the people missing and hurt! ::praying::

Well said
If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the gates are guarded by United States Marines.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
Now they have a nuclear powerplant leaking 1000 times what would be considered safe. It seems they have a cooling problem at the plant. Like they don't have enough problems.Which I'm sure will cause our leader to rethink power plants.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
Yeah this is not good for the nuclear power argument. Part of our societal problem, which I think goes hand-in-hand with liberalism's infantilization of the population, is an underlying assumption that a completely risk-free existence is possible. This will be used like Three Mile Island to put the kibosh on expansion of nuclear energy, even though it is statistically an exceptionally rare event. The mature analysis acknowledges that our way of life requires feasible sources of energy, and that none of them are without their own unique risks. The risks are small, manageable, and outweighed by the enormous benefits of the energy supplied.

But that's not how it works in an emotive, 10-second sound bite world.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:18:48 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2011, 04:45:24 PM »
The video media is reporting that as many as four trains have vanished. A lot of train tracks are severely damaged over a huge area of the country making train travel virtually impossible.

This goes a long way toward the argument that high speed rail isn't such a great idea. People come to rely on rail for everyday transportation to the exclusion of other alternatives. Well, now they are truly boned. No more transportation. And unlike roads, which are difficult enough to repair, rail is extremely difficult to repair so it will be a very long time before people, goods and services begin to move about the country the way that they used to.

It will be interesting to see if Japan (even with help) will be able to respond to this emergency fast enough to prevent further losses from disease and food/water related issues. When you have a disaster this big, this comprehensive it becomes something that no amount of human intervention can adequately alleviate. The infrastructure in Japan is complex, intricate and highly interdependent so there will be a chain reaction effect for just about everything you can think of.

Something else that is being discussed now that the sun has come up is that there are vast areas of Japan where the water is not receding. The conclusion is that the coastline has permanently been changed.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:59:46 PM by trapeze »

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I've been reading some of your comments, trap, and I think you're exactly right about the magnitude of this disaster.  It will have worldwide reverberations and repercussions.  It's really the last thing anybody needed right now.

Japan is also heavily in debt, which will make finding the money to rebuild problematic.

I think this will turn out to be the costliest natural disaster in history in terms of property and infrastructure damage.  Fortunately, not in terms of casualties.  Japan is a First World country, and advanced societies tend not to have massive loss of life in disasters.  They have state-of-the-art warning systems, communications, first responders, hospitals, building codes, and so on.  A disaster of this scale in a poor country like Bangladesh could easily kill a million people.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
I just can't get over a brand new 150 mile long by 50 mile wide fissure in the ocean floor that wasn't there yesterday. The thought of it blows my mind.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
I just saw this comment by Subotai Bahadur at Belmont Club.  He is the best blog commenter on the entire Internet in my opinion.

Last night I and my family were more concerned with the safety of a nephew and his family who are on southern Honshu, and with watching the devastation unfold near Sendai. Family is safe and unharmed, one grandniece felt the quakes being farther north at a soccer event, but otherwise no problem there. Now there is time to think of the implications of the damage.

1) There is the matter of the loss of lives and property. As of an hour ago, they were saying 88,000 missing and hundreds known dead. After watching the tsunami come ashore, I fear that almost all the missing are lost, and there are probably an equal number that we do not know about.

2) Our Navy is on the way. The REAGAN Battle Group was en-route to Korea and has been re-routed to Japan.

3) The damage is probably going to be ¥ billions. After the rescue, comes the reconstitution. The Japanese economy is the best case we can hope for in the future. Yeah, that bad. And it is going to get worse. A large portion of the loss is going to have to be covered by an insurance and financial industry that does not have it. In the last few months, Japanese banks and insurance industry has been investing heavily in the European sovereign debt equivalent of junk bonds. Last I looked, Greek 2 year bonds were paying a 17% return in the unlikely event that they can be redeemed. Such redemption is dependent on being able to sell more bonds to roll the debt over. The whole Greek thing, in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, and Italy [as a beginning] is underpinned by German guarantees extorted by the EU.

The Japanese companies holding those bonds need to dump them for ready cash, which will destroy the EU bond market. The PIIGS countries stand a good chance of being forced into the defaults have been dodging for years. Which means that the German banks will be left on the hook, as will the EU. The quake off of Honshu may end up leveling the financial districts of Berlin and Brussels; and destroying the Euro.

3) Just in time supply chains are a two edged sword. Around the world, and especially here; how many custom components needed for manufacturing are only available from Japan, and how many of those are not available either because the source has been destroyed, utilities are down, or because the transportation system to move it is not operational for an extended time? What effect will that have on production of items here and elsewhere, along with jobs? What secondary effects?

And while the transportation and utilities are down, how will parts needed in Japan going to be able get to where they are needed for the factories still operating? What ripple effects will it have on their economy?

If we are using the same measures as during the “Great Depression”, we are in a Depression. And we are simultaneously in the middle of a worldwide shortfall of food grains.

I believe that the concepts of tipping points and overflowing engagement queues have been mentioned here before.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
Here is a seven-minute video of the tsunami hitting Sendai.  Shorter versions have been widely shown, but this is the longest version I've been able to find.  Note the cars attempting to flee.

http://www.vgtv.no/#id=38263
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
I just can't get over a brand new 150 mile long by 50 mile wide fissure in the ocean floor that wasn't there yesterday. The thought of it blows my mind.

Hours after a massive earthquake rattled Japan, environmental advocates connected the natural disaster to global warming. The president of the European Economic and Social Committee, Staffan Nilsson, issued a statement calling for solidarity in tackling the global warming problem.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/11/some-respond-to-japan-earthquake-by-pointing-to-global-warming/#ixzz1GLhjuNLt
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

Someone at AceOfSpades was using the state of New Jersey as a scale to illustrate the area in square miles. New Jersey is a little bigger than the rift. This sort of thing happens all of the time, geologically speaking. Which means every so many hundred or thousand years. Someone on the FNC mentioned that there is one off of the coast of Washington/Oregon which is getting very close to being due. Good chance of it snapping in the next fifty to one hundred years.

This is all about plate tectonics, a relatively new area of geology, the theories largely thrown together and having become accepted science within our lifetimes. Here is a quote from wikipedia:

[blockquote]The lithosphere is broken up into what are called "tectonic plates". In the case of the Earth, there are currently seven to eight major (depending on how they are defined) and many minor plates. The lithospheric plates ride on the asthenosphere. These plates move in relation to one another at one of three types of plate boundaries: convergent, or collisional boundaries; divergent boundaries, also called spreading centers; and conservative transform boundaries. Earthquakes, volcanic activity, mountain-building, and oceanic trench formation occur along these plate boundaries. The lateral relative movement of the plates varies, though it is typically 0–100 mm annually.

[/blockquote]

Yesterday's quake and tsunami are the result of the Pacific plate pushing against the North American plate (note the two red arrows in the upper left corner of the above illustration). The tension builds and builds until one plate snaps up and away from the other with zillions of tons of explosive energy released in the form of an earthquake. The displaced earth (in this case on the sea floor) is what causes the immediate formation of a killer wave. People and property that are inconveniently in the way are scrubbed from the earth's surface in an extremely efficient way. Only a major asteroid or comet strike is worse (see the Yucatan Penninsula) and have been referred to as "dinosaur killers." In addition to the tsunami created by an asteroid strike you have the weeks/months/years of global overcast (extreme cold/ice age) and Noah's ark-style flooding from all of the water vapor that is generated by the kinetic energy of the impact. Plant life dies first followed by animal life shortly thereafter.

Events such as these underscore the concept that life is fleeting.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:51:50 PM by trapeze »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »

Hours after a massive earthquake rattled Japan, environmental advocates connected the natural disaster to global warming. The president of the European Economic and Social Committee, Staffan Nilsson, issued a statement calling for solidarity in tackling the global warming problem.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/11/some-respond-to-japan-earthquake-by-pointing-to-global-warming/#ixzz1GLhjuNLt

Re: rickl #90

That sounds quite possible.  And these political idiots, how many dominoes have to fall before they are locked in the basement with Ross Perot's crazy aunt?

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
Huh.  I didn't realize that Japan was part of the North American plate.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Huh.  I didn't realize that Japan was part of the North American plate.

The Pacific plate is the largest part of the "ring of fire" that surrounds the Pacific Ocean. Lots and lots of seismic and volcanic activity in that big circle.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »

So, part of Japan just slid (subducted) under the Pacific plate?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »
I just saw this comment by Subotai Bahadur at Belmont Club.  He is the best blog commenter on the entire Internet in my opinion.

I think that Bahadur is maybe even underestimating the problem a bit.

Long term the big loser in all of this is, of course, Japan. The world will not stand still while Japan rebuilds its industry, energy and transportation systems. Someone or several someones will step up to fill the gap (China/Korea come to mind) and then Japan will have to compete with them in a catch up fashion as they struggle to put their house back together.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:02:42 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »

So, part of Japan just slid (subducted) under the Pacific plate?

I would have to look it up to see which slid under the other but that is the gist of it. If I remember how it was described to me, there are volcanic rifts in the middle of the ocean that are continually forming new plate material and it pushes outward a few millimeters a year until something on the other end lets go.