Author Topic: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, TSUNAMI & NOW VOLCANO STRIKE JAPAN  (Read 33300 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE & TSUNAMI STRIKES JAPAN
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
HotAir is posting a "coming nuclear disaster" thread which is sobering.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »

So, part of Japan just slid (subducted) under the Pacific plate?

I think it's the other way around.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Been reading and that's what it seems.  But the water is not running off.
~~~~~~~

The Hot Air report seems a bit hysterical.  Using Hillary and Reuters as primary sources is, ah, words fail me.  The officials as the scene seem to be much more practical.  And the US Navy is on the way, we know will will get them power for the generartors and hopefully they will have some nuclear engineers with them.

This is not meant to undercut the first rate Japanese professionals but in a situation such as this extra help can be a plus.  They take great pride in their skill and may it be reflected in the quality of work applied in the design and construction of these facilities.

As JF said, prayers are in order.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:22:23 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
Just scuttlebutt, fwiw:  heard a caller to Levin's show tonight, military nuclear experience and private sector nuclear experience and what he passed on was that these plants, even the older ones, are built to contain; they'll be no Chernobyl.  The plants will be destroyed, yes, but not explosive or "reactive".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
HotAir is now posting a reactor meltdown thread. Wondering how things can possibly get any worse.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
Let's be optimistic for just a minute. The nuclear plant is stabilized, but inoperative. That would be the good news. Now the bad: Japan has a nuke plant or two (or three) off-line and need of serious, hugely expensive repair.

Got insurance for dat?

My considered opinion is that the largest cost of this disaster is going to be the repair of Japan's nuke plants. IF the public is interested in that option. The alternative is a quick upgrade of Japan's existing coal and oil fired generation plants. There is nothing good about this situation.

Look at these facilities. Looks like they are all near the ocean. (They all need water to operate the turbines, Nuke, gas, coal and oil.)

http://www.industcards.com/st-coal-japan.htm

Oil and gas-fired plants:
http://www.industcards.com/st-other-japan.htm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:54:30 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
HotAir is now posting a reactor meltdown thread. Wondering how things can possibly get any worse.

From a comment on that HotAir thread, before and after views of the Sendai area:

Link
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
Rescuing survivors in Kesennuma City, Miyagi Prefecture.  What the hell is that thing?  It looks like a giant plastic milk crate.

Link

Get a load of the other pictures at that link.  There's an F-16 in someone's backyard.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
I'm of the "C'mon people; let's go.  Let's get this mess cleaned up" mentality and I would have no earthly idea where to start doing so at some of the places there.  What a disaster!

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
I've been reading the comments (over 700) at this Ace of Spades thread.  There are some actual nuclear engineers like Vic and Sandy Salt who have been contributing their knowledge and expertise, while also mocking the sensational cluelessness of the MSM reporting.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/313275.php

There's also a new thread up that says the containment vessel has not been breached.  Obviously there are serious problems at that reactor, but it is by no means another Chernobyl.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/313279.php

Keep in mind that this is the strongest earthquake to hit Japan in 1200 years (I forget where I saw that), and the affected reactor is 40 years old.  This is way beyond anything it was designed to withstand, and it's holding together fairly well so far.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
This is why I love the internet; it's the virtual "free market" of information; even with all the bullsh i t, there are those who know the subject/issue and it is from them, not some dumbass AP "reporter", that one can get a true picture of almost anything.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

So, part of Japan just slid (subducted) under the Pacific plate?

I would have to look it up to see which slid under the other but that is the gist of it. If I remember how it was described to me, there are volcanic rifts in the middle of the ocean that are continually forming new plate material and it pushes outward a few millimeters a year until something on the other end lets go.

The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is the most productive source of new crust, it's pushing outward. Some distant day in the future the Atlantic Ocean will be larger than the Pacific Ocean.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
Japan's coast has moved (looks more dramatic in those sat pics) and the planets axis shifted another 4 inches (did Peru only move it 1 inch?).

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

Miyagi (6 miles in) and 9500 people are missing!

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77165.html

Another 10k missing in another town!

http://www.iwradio.co.uk/newscentre/world/japan-quake-bodies-found-by-military-15950904

They said on Fox a bit ago that the reactor may have had its outer containment breached but not the inner...next 24 hours will determine if they have it under control or not.  I think some are getting nuke-fever and over-hyping this without knowing all the facts.  We'll know by tomorrow.

In the meantime, prayers and assistance are what is needed there!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
I agree that the MFM are hyping the nuke stuff. They live to terrorize the ill informed and easily duped.

Not that what's happening isn't serious. It is. But Chernobyl this isn't. Not even close. Not yet, anyway.

As to the earth's axis changing by 4 inches I would like to hear an explanation as to how that can be caused by an earthquake. And, just for fun and because I enjoy twisting the eco-weenies' tails, did the shift improve or make worse the catastrophic global warming situation?

If the people in Japan weren't in the midst of an unimaginable horror story, it would be interesting to ask them if they believe global warming is the biggest threat to their existence. I'm guessing that it would now be rather far down on their list of existential threats.

I have been very skeptical of the casualty figures that have been reported. I don't know why they are so low. I am aware that the Japanese plan for and drill for earthquake disasters and that has certainly contributed to the low numbers in the areas outside of the coasts. But...having seen the aerial vids, it is difficult to imagine that there aren't tens of thousands of deaths directly related to the tsunami. I do not see how you can escape when you have so little warning and there is no high ground in close proximity to the coast. I truly do not see how the death toll will not be in the many tens of thousands. I hope that I am wrong.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:05:06 PM by trapeze »

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
Even if the death toll is 100,000 it won't be close to the 2004 tsunami or last year's Haiti earthquake.  I think there were floods in China in the 1930s that killed 500,000 or more.  Japan is a First World country, and that fact alone will keep the death toll far below a comparable disaster in a Third World country.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
I would agree with that. However, the population density is not an insignificant factor. Nor is the weather...it's cold there and exposure will be an issue in survivability for those who have not yet been recovered. Nor is the complete breakdown of transportation...large areas of northern Japan are currently only reachable by helicopter. Nor is the lack of power...people who have observed the country from the air at night have reported that the northern area is completely dark.

So, no, it isn't Haiti. But it's very bad, nonetheless.

Right now they are in a state of triage, just trying to stop the nuclear emergency, put out fires and rescue as many survivors as possible.The long term problems are too many to list.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Nor is the lack of power...people who have observed the country from the air at night have reported that the northern area is completely dark.

I was thinking about that.  We've all seen the famous satellite photo of North and South Korea.

So, no, it isn't Haiti. But it's very bad, nonetheless.

Right now they are in a state of triage, just trying to stop the nuclear emergency, put out fires and rescue as many survivors as possible.The long term problems are too many to list.

Absolutely.  This is the worst natural disaster in history...by every measure except loss of life.  It will be very bad, but nowhere close to #1.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
I also note a conspicuous absence of any large scale criminal activity. Compare and contrast with New Orleans.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly