Author Topic: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, TSUNAMI & NOW VOLCANO STRIKE JAPAN  (Read 33331 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: RED ALERT: MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, TSUNAMI & NOW VOLCANO STRIKE JAPAN
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:30 PM »

Homemade tsunami video: awesome

110311_TUNAMI.avi

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
Pretty much shows how we have no control over anything.  But hey, you libs, keep driving your priuses and reusing your toilet paper. And when are you setting up that fund to help relocate displaced sealife?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Roy Rogers

• When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
Pretty much shows how we have no control over anything.  But hey, you libs, keep driving your priuses and reusing your toilet paper. And when are you setting up that fund to help relocate displaced sealife?

Amen
If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the gates are guarded by United States Marines.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
I saw that earlier today at American Digest.

You can hear car alarms at about 1:00, but they soon fall silent.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:26 PM »
I saw that earlier today at American Digest.

You can hear car alarms at about 1:00, but they soon fall silent.

and you can see the folks across the way on the other building

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2011, 12:36:36 AM »
We cannot exist in this world apart from the grace and forbearance of nature's God. Our lives and our constructs are among the most fragile things in His creation, and we stand atop it because He allows it.

I wouldn't say that He causes or allows these things to happen so as to reorient us to our proper relationship to His power. But likewise, I wouldn't say that He does not.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »

That's only because the mighty Senator Klobuchar hasn't crafted some policy, after the fact, protecting us.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
  The truth is that libs worry about us destroying the planet when truth is that when the planet is sick of us it will shake us off like flees. The planet will be here long after were all gone and forgotten.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
Has this thing reached the point of a complete write off?  Should they be looking at a permanent long-term sealing of this facility and be done with it?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/31/japans-nuclear-rescuers-inevitable-die-weeks/#

::speechless::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
It doesn't look good.  Lots of radioactive water everywhere, either from leaking reactors or the spent fuel pools; I'm not sure which.

There's a mammoth thread at the Market Ticker.  269 pages of comments and still very active.  (My link goes to page 269, but you can click on the page numbers to read the earlier comments.)  A few commenters are very knowledgeable, while others are kind of panic-stricken, and still others somewhere in between. 

The contamination at the site seems to be pretty serious, and for some distance away.  But keep in mind that reports of radiation in the US refer to miniscule amounts that are far below any health concerns.  It says more about the sensitivity of the detectors than anything else.  And the media continues its sensationalizing and fearmongering.

I saw a report earlier today about 1000 bodies near the plant that are too radioactive to handle.  It's important to realize that they were killed by the tsunami and became contaminated by radiation afterwards.  So far at least, there have been no reports of anyone killed by radiation.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
Drudge is running this as the evening's headline:

[blockquote]The world’s largest concrete pump, deployed at the construction site of the U.S. government’s $4.86 billion mixed oxide fuel plant at Savannah River Site, is being moved to Japan in a series of emergency measures to help stabilize the Fukushima reactors.

“The bottom line is, the Japanese need this particular unit worse than we do, so we’re giving it up,” said Jerry Ashmore, whose company, Augusta-based Ashmore Concrete Contractors, Inc., is the concrete supplier for the MOX facility.

The 190,000-pound pump, made by Germany-based Putzmeister has a 70-meter boom and can be controlled remotely, making it suitable for use in the unpredictable and highly radioactive environment of the doomed nuclear reactors in Japan, he said.

“There are only three of these pumps in the world, of which two are suited for this work, so we have to get it there as soon as we can,” Ashmore said in an interview with The Chronicle today. “Time is very much a factor.”

The pump was moved Wednesday from the construction site in Aiken County to a facility in Hanahan, S.C., for minor modifications, and will be trucked to Atlanta’s Hartsfield Airport, where it will be picked up by the world’s largest cargo plane, the Russian-made Antonov 225, which will fly it to Tokyo.

Ashmore officials have already notified Shaw AREVA MOX Services, which is building the MOX plant for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration, that the pump was being moved and will not be returned.  “It will be too hot to come back,” Ashmore said.

The costs of the operation, including an estimated $1.4 million to fly the pump from Atlanta to Tokyo aboard the Antonov transporter, are being underwritten by the Tokyo Electric Power Company through a contracting agreement with Putzmeister.
[/blockquote]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:31:37 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
Jeez. This just adds so much complication to an already completely disastrous situation.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
A landing by a An-225 is a big deal in its own right. I saw one land in Charlotte not long ago, delivering a damaged turbine from Thailand. The Siemens facility nearby was the only place that could repair it, so into the Antonov it went. Those planes have to be seen to be believed.

What I wonder about with regard to the Japanese reactor site is its proximity to the ocean. How far down into the ground before they hit water? I know in some coastal locations the water table is not much more than a few feet down. Are they going to have to excavate under the reactors and backfill it with concrete?

I think that power company is history. The costs of fixing this are going to be more than they or their insurance policies can handle.

eta - and just a minor quibble with the article - Antonov is Ukrainian not Russian :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:42:57 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »
I am hearing now some of the readings they were getting were messed up, something to do with a computer and how it interpreted the data, so they were wrong in their radioactive counts...I just can't remember which way it wrong...hope they were overstated!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
Slide show via UK Telegraph...30 pictures of ships/boats run aground by the tsunami.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
This whole "can't plug the leak" things is bizzare, but everything going on at Fukashima is bizzare.  It's like water torture...drip...drip...drip...

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
If this were happening in the USA it would be 24 hour media terror. And to a degree that might actually be justified. In Japan the nuke reactor problem is only part of the overall problem. Mixed in with a tsunami of the century cleanup and what to do about thousands of dead bodies and how to feed a nation and how to provide power, etc., well, they are a bit overwhelmed with disasters right now. Leaking radiation would be really, really bad if it was the only thing on the plate. And it is really, really bad. Just kind of hard for them to focus on it.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
Experts estimate that about seven tons an hour of radioactive water is escaping the pit. Safety officials have said that the water, which appears to be coming from the damaged No. 2 reactor, contains one million becquerels per liter of iodine 131, or about 10,000 times the levels normally found in water at a nuclear plant.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
Ooohhh nnnooo!
Look for a new and improved Godziwa feature soon.

Talk at you later because reception is really bad in the bunker. ::newyear::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
This whole "can't plug the leak" things is bizzare, but everything going on at Fukashima is bizzare.  It's like water torture...drip...drip...drip...

More like radioactive water torture.  Absolutely horrible.