Author Topic: Ben Gazzara ( 1930 - 2012 )  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Ben Gazzara ( 1930 - 2012 )
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:03 AM »
R.I.P.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:59:07 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Ben Gazzara ( 1930 - 2012 )
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
It's interesting how popular culture infiltrates the mind. I definitely recognize Ben Gazzara's name, and his visage came to me instantly as I read the thread title. Yet when I look at his filmography at IMDB, I have not seen him in a single role. In fact, I've never heard of a vast majority of the films on the list.

Is it appearances on Carson, perhaps? All I know is that I know who this guy is, but I've never watched him in a movie or TV show.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »

Same here, he is quite familiar but going over the filmography
I've seen maybe two movies in which he appeared.

RIP, Ben

Offline Sally Brown

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
Same experience.  Instant name and face recognition but then couldn't exactly remember what I had seen him in.  I know he starred in--I believe--a detective series years ago that I watched regularly but I cannot remember what it was.  Very sorry to hear he's gone.  Another actor who actually looked and acted like a man.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
It's interesting how popular culture infiltrates the mind. I definitely recognize Ben Gazzara's name, and his visage came to me instantly as I read the thread title. Yet when I look at his filmography at IMDB, I have not seen him in a single role. In fact, I've never heard of a vast majority of the films on the list.

Is it appearances on Carson, perhaps? All I know is that I know who this guy is, but I've never watched him in a movie or TV show.

Ever seen "Road House" - Patrick Swayze movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098206/

Then you've seen Ben Gazzara; he played the rich badguy.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
Nope. I've heard of it, of course, but never seen that one. I went down the entire IMDB list, and I haven't seen a single one, unless it was in passing and I didn't know it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
Boy, I thought I was improperly culturally indoctrinated.  ::doh::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

Anatomy Of A Murder (1959)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEQmpvEuR4

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »

What, is "Road House" worth watching? I never bought the idea of Patrick Swayze as a tough guy, so I never bothered.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »

What, is "Road House" worth watching? I never bought the idea of Patrick Swayze as a tough guy, so I never bothered.

I think so, but I do buy him as a tough guy, so, ymmv.  Next time it's on, try it; you might like it.  Sam Elliot is in it also.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »

I think so, but I do buy him as a tough guy, so, ymmv.  Next time it's on, try it; you might like it.  Sam Elliot is in it also.

I dig Sam Elliot. "We Were Soldiers", "Tombstone", "Mask"... one of my fave tough guys.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »

I dig Sam Elliot. "We Were Soldiers", "Tombstone", "Mask"... one of my fave tough guys.

Me too.  I'd've taken Patrick Swayze or Sam Elliot any way I could have gotten 'em.  When I was being baaaaad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
Nope. I've heard of it, of course, but never seen that one. I went down the entire IMDB list, and I haven't seen a single one, unless it was in passing and I didn't know it.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're too young .

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I wonder how accurate that list at IMDB is.  I've looked up people I know were in a certain episode (like I just watched it and saw their name listed but find it's not at IMDB). 

If I saw him in anything at all it would have been television.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

Anatomy Of A Murder (1959)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEQmpvEuR4

Anatomy of a Murder / Reviews

Anatomy of a Murder

Rating: NR · Genre: Drama · Run time: 2 hrs 41 min

Synopsis: Based on the best-selling novel by Robert Traver (the pseudonym for Michigan Supreme Court justice John D. Voelker), Anatomy of a Murder stars James Stewart as seat-of-the-pants Michigan lawyer Paul Biegler. Through the intervention of his alcoholic mentor, Parnell McCarthy (Arthur O'Connell), Biegler accepts the case of one Lt. Manion (Ben Gazzara), an unlovable lout who has murdered a local bar owner. Manion admits that he committed the crime, citing as his motive the victim's rape of the alluring Mrs. Manion (Lee Remick). Faced with the formidable opposition of big-city prosecutor Claude Dancer (George C. Scott), Biegler hopes to win freedom for his client by using as his defense the argument of "irresistible impulse." Also featured in the cast is Eve Arden as Biegler's sardonic secretary, Katherine Grant as the woman who inherits the dead man's business, and Joseph N. Welch -- who in real life was the defense attorney in the Army-McCarthy hearings -- as the ever-patient judge. ...

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're too young .

Perhaps so, but still, not too young to know exactly who Ben Gazzara was, or exactly what he looked like!

He simply MUST have been on Carson, or a guest on Hollywood squares, or SOMETHING.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
  Nobody even mentioned this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289873/

You can't tell me you didn't see that??

Rip
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »

Nope, didn't see it.
But I saw this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068315/ .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
  Nobody even mentioned this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289873/

You can't tell me you didn't see that??

Rip

I saw the original with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams - not the 2001 made for TV remake with Ben Gazzara.

- Thomas Jefferson