Author Topic: CIVIL WAR: A marvel Comics Event  (Read 756 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
CIVIL WAR: A marvel Comics Event
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
First off I have to acknowledge that comic books--or graphic novels (not sure when one becomes the other except this one was $24.99) aren't in my wheelhouse but I was curious so I checked out the newest one from the library.

Never cared much for comic books when I was a kid. 

I will say the art work is stunning. The storytelling not so much. Yet the writer gets first billing. Go figure.

I had a hard time understanding what side everyone was on in this tale or what action was occurring.  It was like trying to understand the pictures for the ready-to-assemble furniture from Ikea. I would venture to say individuals growing up texting and reading graphic novels will be ill-prepared to have a coherent thought.  Anyway, I finally pieced together the gist of it--the public was outraged that some superheroes had killed innocent people (while battling some bad guys) and the government and some rich, powerful dude decide that all superheroes need to be registered and properly trained. 

The superheroes take sides and fight among themselves and with the rich dude's force.  About 2/3 of the way through I was curious to see how it would be resolved. I was mightily disappointed when Captain America decides to surrender because fighting among themselves is silly and afterall the government is just trying to help the public trust the superheroes again.  I turned the next page expecting it to be a ruse but no, it ended with the rich dude yapping about how this is great for the public good.

I guess I expected something else.  What's the point of being a superhero if you let the government regulate you?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: CIVIL WAR: A marvel Comics Event
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
Oh fer crissake!  This resembles Hancock allowing himself to be jailed.

Is nothing sacred anymore?!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
I guess I expected something else.  What's the point of being a superhero if you let the government regulate you?

Actually, I think that is exactly what the government would do. Can't have people with super-human powers doing good walking about. That is the government's job. And its a common theme in many of the books I think of as "great"

As for comics/graphic novels,  I had the same opinion till college. I had a room mate who had a huge collection, and kept pestering me to read "The Dark Knight Returns"  - I was thinking Batman- The Cheesy 60s show and kept throwing him off.  Finally I read it, and all I could say was WOW.  The Dark Knight Returns is the inspiration for the recent movies. The original Batman in the 30s and 40s was also very dark - and Frank Miller returned to that - only now Batman is  over 60 and coming out of a retirement. Amazing stuff, and the images still stick with me, not to mention that it has only become more relevant as time wears on. The main theme is an investigation of Good Vs. Evil, and the necessity of becoming evil in some ways yourself in order to fight it.

From there I started reading my roomate's copies of Cerebus by Dave Sim and continued to read them long after college. I still re-read them every few years or so.  A lot of good humor,parodies of other popular comics (including Dark Kight)  and a lot of interesting political commentary, and much to be offended by if you are the sort to allow it. (It does take on a bit of a train wreck appeal towards the end, where  Dave Sim obviously starts to get a bit "mental", but after following the little grey beast for 15 years already, I went and pushed to the end.  I felt it was a worthwile excercise, but I  would understand others not finding it so. Stop after Church and State II if you ust want funny and entertaining, and not "wow, this guy is loosing it, I wonder how far the insanity will get?" - spolier warning-  the answer is ALL THE WAY. )

My roommate also had Sandman by Gaiman and The Watchmen - but I didn't get around to reading Watchmen till much later, and Sandman,  well,  its still on my list. Watchmen also deals with that same government theme - of regulated Superheros, and really is probably the BEST "Graphic Novel" ever written. If you only read one in your lifetime, that should be the one. The movie adaptation was decent, and while many complained of the change of the ending, I personally thought the movie ending  was better.  But still another work that will have you thinking about it long after you are done reading, and dealing with the real liberal/conservative divide, and like Dark Knight, it has only become more relevant since it was written.

Finally, I ordered Bone  because, like Firefly, Amazon just kept recommending it and wouldn't leave me alone, and I found my old roommate had been Reading it as well.   It is the second longest comic produced by an independent ( Cerebus is the longest by a wide margin) and really a quite enjoyable story, but it lacks the deeper social commentary of the others listed above.

My old roommate really had superb taste, and quite frankly the books he had were the ones that all of these newbies (Civil War) are trying to emulate (and usually failing)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:53:10 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
Hey, thanks for the observations, Weisshaupt.  I am curious enough to see how it should be done so I will look for the ones you mention esp The Watchman.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
Hey, thanks for the observations, Weisshaupt.  I am curious enough to see how it should be done so I will look for the ones you mention esp The Watchman.

A word of warning about the watchmen. 1) Its not a happy story 2) The characters are all too human, with all of the flaws that implies. 3) The author is trying to disturb you, both mentally and visually.

Or as a friend said when he found out I finally started reading it -"I'm there for you if you want to talk"
 Both it and "The Dark Knight Returns" are adult comics, with serious  adult themes, and adult events  (Maybe that is the difference between a "graphic novel" and a comic.)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

A word of warning about the watchmen. 1) Its not a happy story 2) The characters are all too human, with all of the flaws that implies. 3) The author is trying to disturb you, both mentally and visually.

Or as a friend said when he found out I finally started reading it -"I'm there for you if you want to talk"
 Both it and "The Dark Knight Returns" are adult comics, with serious  adult themes, and adult events  (Maybe that is the difference between a "graphic novel" and a comic.)

I shall proceed forewarned.