Author Topic: The Nevada Caucuses And Other Election News Of The Day  (Read 995 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Nevada Caucuses And Other Election News Of The Day
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Okay, well...everyone expects Romney to clean up in a Mormon leaning state. If he doesn't get at least half of the vote he will have screwed up. The big question is, who will end up in second place? Will Gingrich be able to do it even though he has spent almost no time and no money in the state or will it be Paul? Or does Santorum have a chance at second? Probably not.

Gingrich is having a press conference tonight after it is over rather than the traditional post caucus/primary speech/party and some are speculating that he is going to quit the campaign. That's a bit of a stretch. I don't think he is going to quit. I think that this is yet another attempt (successful so far) to get free attention from the media.

Santorum, meanwhile, is in trouble with state officials in Indiana and probably will not qualify for the ballot. It seems that the rules state that he needed to get a minimum of 500 verifiable signatures in each of the state's counties and he has missed the mark in one county by 25. Santorum will, of course, appeal and he might have grounds because there is something about redistricting playing a part in the situation after the signature collection started and the verification process ended. If his appeal is unsuccessful (likely) then that will make two states where he can't get delegates. Not good.

So...it's looking like Romney is going to coast to the nomination. Everyone had better just get used to it being a foregone conclusion and deal with it. I'm not happy about it at all because he looks to be as weak or weaker a candidate as McCain was. The only thing that mitigates that big negative is the visceral dislike of Obongo and his miserable administration. Obongo is so conceited and arrogant that he seems to believe that he doesn't need to change his behavior one bit in order to fool enough of the country's voting age morons into voting for him again. The notion that he is a lock for re-election is, to me, unfounded. Seriously, how do you get elected when 76% of "uncommitted" voters disapprove of the job you are doing? Only 20% approve. What usually happens is that these so-called "uncommitted" voters hold out until the very end of the general election campaign and then suddenly support (and vote for) whoever is opposing the incumbent. That's why if your approval number is below 50% you are potentially in trouble. Obongo hasn't had an approval rating over 50% in well over a year...unless you count the statistically insignificant one or two week bump he got for claiming that he killed OBL.

The press is still in his corner and that is not likely to change but I don't think it will be enough. There are enough people without a job, enough people who have seen their net worth plummet in the last three years, etc. to counteract the propaganda coming from the MFM. In other words, the press can only help the Democrat if it's close and this time it's not. And it isn't likely to change before November thanks to Obongo's arrogance. I guess that's the downside of having a narcissist on the ticket.

Proof of that conceit can be found just about everywhere you look but this week's flavor of the month is the Obongo administration's indifference to the Catholic voter. The Catholic voter has long been a brain dead demographic...a reliable Democrat vote...for decades (with the exception of the Reagan years, of course) and that may not be the case this go round. Heck, even the brain dead Jewish demographic seems to be waking from its decades long slumber. Only the eternally brain dead black demographic can be counted on to reliably vote for Obongo. I wonder why that is? (he asks, sarcastically).

So, yeah, this like most in the past, is shaping up to be an interesting general election season. Not a good one because, it seems, there is absolutely no one to cheer for. But it will be interesting. I think that the polls will show (after our nominee has been chosen) that Obongo will be leading but they will also show his numbers to be below 50% and these numbers will stay this way right up until a week before the election. The same thing happened with Reagan versus Carter in 1980 and I believe that it will go down this way this time, too.

So...President Romney. Yippee. We had better elect some damned good conservative members of Congress. It's our only hope.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: The Nevada Caucuses And Other Election News Of The Day
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
I can't do much about the other states so I'm back on the ABO band wagon.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
So...it's looking like Romney is going to coast to the nomination. So...President Romney. Yippee. We had better elect some damned good conservative members of Congress. It's our only hope.

Excuse me if my leg isn't tingling. I'm too busy stocking up...................
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »
And mildly related to Santorum's plight in Indiana...

Indiana's Top Election Chief Found Guilty Of Voter Fraud

(and yeah, he's a Republican...thanks a lot, asshole)

Is our country seriously screwed up or what?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:34:51 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
LAS VEGAS — Newt Gingrich will announce a new campaign strategy after the Nevada caucuses here tonight, in a move to refocus his struggling White House bid.

Business Insider has learned that Gingrich plans to lay out a delegate-based strategy that will allow him to make good on his promise to stay in the race until the Republican National Convention this summer.

LINK

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
And mildly related to Santorum's plight in Indiana...

Indiana's Top Election Chief Found Guilty Of Voter Fraud

(and yeah, he's a Republican...thanks a lot, asshole)

Is our country seriously screwed up or what?

I saw that headline and immediately assumed he was tampering with results; stuffing ballots; trying to cheat a Republican win. That is the context in which "voter fraud" has been applied in recent years.

But it looks like the guys crime was not living in the district where he voted. It's not good, and he should not be in a position of responsibility, and he should be punished, but... "voter fraud"? Perhaps, if a headline writer's desire is to make people believe what I believed before I read the article.

But this is "voter fraud" about as much as swiping a pack of gum is Grand Theft Auto.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »
It's all about party affiliation.

Democrats can do this.

Republicans can not do this.

It's in the rules.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
Nevada caucus results link if anyone cares.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:41:32 AM »

The press is still in his corner and that is not likely to change but I don't think it will be enough. There are enough people without a job, enough people who have seen their net worth plummet in the last three years, etc. to counteract the propaganda coming from the MFM. In other words, the press can only help the Democrat if it's close and this time it's not. And it isn't likely to change before November thanks to Obongo's arrogance. I guess that's the downside of having a narcissist on the ticket.

/quote]

The press is addicted to quoting polls ; particularly those showing unfavorable numbers for Republicans and Congress in general . The polls which they assiduously avoid quoting are those which show the favorability of the press right down there in the basement with congress .  ::outrage:: ::gaah:: ::mooning:: ::cussing:: ::puke:: ::pokeineye::

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
I'm not happy about it at all because he looks to be as weak or weaker a candidate as McCain was.

Let's assume for a moment that the same candidates who ran in 2008 are running in 2012, and the moderates and independents know today what they did not know in '08 about Obamby, and the unemployment figures continue at 8.5 percent.

Would Obama beat McCain? Tell ya one thing, Obama would not carry NC as he did in 08.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
I agree with Trap, in regards to Romney being the nominee. The presidential election will balance upon sufficient ABO voter turnout.

Now, Obama is doing his part, but the media will also do theirs. I'm afraid by sept, the unemployment numbers will be sufficiently skewed for Obama to use the remaining days on the stump hammering how he has saved America and deserves another 4years.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
I agree with Trap, in regards to Romney being the nominee. The presidential election will balance upon sufficient ABO voter turnout.

Now, Obama is doing his part, but the media will also do theirs. I'm afraid by sept, the unemployment numbers will be sufficiently skewed for Obama to use the remaining days on the stump hammering how he has saved America and deserves another 4years.

I don't think that it will be enough. It's a pretty easy task to explain how the jobs numbers are being fudged.

Even a candidate as inept at articulating conservatism (because he clearly is not a conservative) such as Romney should be able to do this. I'm watching Gingrich do just this on Meet The Press* as I write this.

Gasoline isn't going to come down in price by November. If anything it will go up.

Real inflation, although cleverly masked right now, will continue to go up. People know that they have less buying power.

We are on the brink of war all across the Middle East due almost entirely to the incompetence of President Zero.

Europe could fall (economically) at any time.

We could have a terrorist attack here at home at any time.

It goes on and on....

...and everyone knows that things are this bad.

*and David Gregory is an arrogant and condescending, empty headed idiot who couldn't shine Tim Russert's shoes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:16:20 AM by trapeze »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »
So...it's looking like Romney is going to coast to the nomination. So...President Romney. Yippee. We had better elect some damned good conservative members of Congress. It's our only hope.

Excuse me if my leg isn't tingling. I'm too busy stocking up...................

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »

Totals

Romney........... 97 delegates
Gingrich........... 30 delegates
Santorum......... 16 delegates
Paul...................7 delegates
Huntsman...........2 delegates