Author Topic: Caucus time  (Read 1373 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Caucus time
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
NYTimes calls it (late) for Santorum...

His candidacy all but dismissed just days ago, Rick Santorum won the Minnesota caucuses, the Colorado caucuses and a nonbinding primary in Missouri on Tuesday, an unexpected trifecta that raised fresh questions about Mitt Romney's ability to corral conservative support.

Colorado Republican chairman Ryan Call announced the news on CNN, saying "Rick Santorum surprised a lot of folks."

With his triple triumph, Mr. Santorum was also suddenly presenting new competition to Newt Gingrich as the chief alternative to Mr. Romney, the front-runner. Where Mr. Gingrich has won one state, South Carolina, Mr. Santorum has now won four, including Iowa.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »
97% in and it looks like the 2 point lead will not increase to 3.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
Yup. The CO GOP chair was just on FOX, confirmed 100% for sure Santorum wins.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:41 AM »
Okay, I was wrong...voting all done and Santorum wins by FIVE points! A total wipeout and humiliating defeat for Romney who spent several days here and a buttload of money on advertising.

Final numbers:

Santorum    26,580    40.2%
Romney    23,097    34.9%   
Gingrich    8,457    12.8%
Paul            7,782    11.8%
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:31:35 AM by trapeze »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:52 AM »
Hugh Hewitt and Karl Rove are probably doing shots together.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »
A cautionary footnote:

Delegate Allocation: None of Colorado's 36 delegates will be bound to any candidate as a result of the Feb. 7 precinct caucuses. The state's delegates will be elected at county assemblies, held mostly on March 24, but before March 28, and allocated at district and state conventions in mid-April.

Plenty of opportunity for Romney and *shudder* Paul supporters to tamper with voter intent at county assemblies.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
I think the Paul strategy relies heavily on his activists becoming delegates. In these non-binding caucuses, the result and the bounce it gives to a candidate like Santorum could be completely or partially undermined by grassroots enthusiasts for any candidate who work their way through the delegate process.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Looks like 40-35 for Rick in CO.  Romney easily won CO & MN last time, he got trounced in MN this go around!  And I heard on the radio this morning that CO doesn't let Indy's into other party caucus' like last time, that right Trap?  If so it means the only reason Mitt won last time was because mushy moderates, which the current results indicate rank & file repub's in CO do not want him.

The ABR factor is really kicking in here now.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
The ruling class narrative has been an inevitable Romney. The result of that has been a few good candidates falling by the wayside playing the not-Romney game. If we get someone besides Romney, I don't think any of the three remaining are the best that were running. Any one of the candidates who were banking on early wins could have stuck it out and found themselves in the position of the alternative to Romney. If they had, it could have been Santorum who bowed out early.

That said, I'll be happy if Santorum wins, or even forces the establishment into conniptions along the way to a close loss. He's every bit a decent guy as Romney is, and he's at least been who he is for a couple decades.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:06:04 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
True enough IDP.

Doing some look ahead here...looks like (gag!) PBS hosts a debate Monday night March 19th in Portland.

Remaining Primary Schedule:

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-republican-primary-schedule/

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »
I just watched Hannity interviewing Fat Bastard (Rove) and, as you might expect, he was putting the spin on things for Romney and how yesterday's disaster wasn't a disaster at all.

One of his big argument points was that in Missouri because it was a "beauty contest" where no delegates were being assigned, not very many people (compared to 2008) bothered to show up so the results didn't really mean anything. Of course, you could quite easily say that it was amazing how many people showed up to vote in an election that didn't mean anything and more than half of them voted for Santorum. Hannity wasn't sharp enough to toss that counter argument back at Fat Bastard. Pity.

Fat Bastard is totally in the tank for Team Romney and if Santorum ends up prevailing he will pretend that he was secretly pulling for him all along just so that he can pretend to still be relevant.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »

Fat Bastard is totally in the tank for Team Romney and if Santorum ends up prevailing he will pretend that he was secretly pulling for him all along just so that he can pretend to still be relevant.

...or he might pull the same sh*t he did with Christine O'Donnell, Joe Miller, Ken Buck, and Sharon Angle, and work feverishly to destroy them so the GOP elites can blame failure on the Tea Party.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
I despise The Butthead with a passion hotter than a thousand suns!  He represents the Machiavellian Old Guard Repuiblican Elite and until his ilk are crushed there is no hope of salvaging the GOP!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
I despise The Butthead with a passion hotter than a thousand suns!  He represents the Machiavellian Old Guard Repuiblican Elite and until his ilk are crushed there is no hope of salvaging the GOP!
!