Author Topic: Feds debunk food pyramid they pushed for two decades  (Read 2991 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Feds debunk food pyramid they pushed for two decades
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
Well. Look at this now and what have I been saying all along?!  @#$%*$%#@! Damn these people!

President Obama says we should allow the federal government to take charge of our healthcare; as usual, the “experts” are best positioned to instruct us how to live our lives.

Except they’re not.  Today, according to the AP, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention told Americans that they eat too much bread and rolls, and that such foods account “for more than twice as much sodium as salty junk food like potato chips.”  No wonder we’re fat.

Unfortunately, the federal government that now tells us that we eat too much bread is the same government that originally told us to stuff our pieholes with … bread.  Remember the original food pyramid?

I remember this pyramid – I grew up learning about it in my vaunted public school.  Notice how the bottom section is enormous, and suggests 6-11 bread, cereal, rice and pasta servings each day.  Why did the government originally mandate that?  According to Harvard Medical School’s Eat, Drink and Be Healthy (Simon & Schuster, August 2001), the government was attempting to help out farmers via the Department of Agriculture’s recommendations.

Dr. Walter Willett of Harvard Medical School says that the original pyramid blatantly ignored the evidence against grains.  “There’s an inherent problem with the USDA creating the pyramid,” Willett said.  “The economic interests are so strong …. It’s very difficult for them to be objective, so it’s probably the worst possible agency to do the pyramid.”  As anybody who has ever tried to lose weight by eating bagels can tell you, the food pyramid is a dramatic failure.

The last time the government tried to make everybody skinny, in other words, it made everybody fat instead.  Now the government’s trying to make everybody healthy – by telling us we don’t need early mammograms.  Do you trust them?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Feds debunk food pyramid they pushed for two decades
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »

Take two blue one's and call in the morning.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:57:14 AM »
 ::cussing::  Government!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »
I didn't know that about the grain industry.  I have read that the dairy and meat industries also had a big hand in shaping it's recommendations.

Personally, I could never eat 6-11 servings of grain a day.

I don't eat junk or fast food and make most of our meals from scratch so I don't need someone to tell me what to eat.  I figure we're doing okay.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
"Personally, I could never eat 6-11 servings of grain a day."

And for people with that gleutin thingy like my sister...high buck alternatives!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
I didn't know that about the grain industry.  I have read that the dairy and meat industries also had a big hand in shaping it's recommendations.

Personally, I could never eat 6-11 servings of grain a day.

I don't eat junk or fast food and make most of our meals from scratch so I don't need someone to tell me what to eat.  I figure we're doing okay.

I don't eat a total of 6 servings all day.  That all is a helluva lot of food.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »

Grain?  Donuts, bagels, cake, cinnamon rolls, corn bread, six servings - nomnomnomnommmmm  ::grouphug:: .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Yah, and if I ate all that in one day I'd have no room for steak, deer-burgers, chicken, lamb chops .....

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
I love bread and pasta beyond all reason. It is my weakness, and I have to make a conscious effort not to overeat it, particularly bread of all kinds. If I don't watch it, I'll have a half dozen of those yummy Olive Garden breadsticks down the hatch before my heaping plate of chicken fettuccine alfredo arrives. Not good. I used to be able to eat like that without a care until I turned 40 and everything slowed down.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
I'm not a big pasta person, but I LOVE garlic bread in any size, shape or form.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »
I'm not a big pasta person, but I LOVE garlic bread in any size, shape or form.

nomnomnomnommmmm   ::grouphug::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
I'll eat the pasta and the bread and leave not a crumb to be had by anybody!  Bwuuuhaaahaaa!  (Burp!)   ;D