Author Topic: Buying another one.  (Read 6077 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Buying another one.
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
 I've decided to buy another generator for a back up to mine.One of the guys at work has decided to sell his generator(needs money) so I decided to help him out by releaving him of his problem. It's a Hoinda engine 10kw electric start with 18 hours on it for 400.bucks.

Which I would say qualifies it as a bargain!And it seems that there may be another one in the wings that's a 8kw northern tool unit for the same kind of money.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Buying another one.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
Hmmm.  Gonna need a container for all the gasoline required.  About what storage method are you thinking?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
Hmmm.  Gonna need a container for all the gasoline required.  About what storage method are you thinking?

I can convert it to propane/natural gas/alcohol if I want to.Right now fuel storage isn't in the list here in FL.if I ever get out of here I'll deal with it. But in a pinch I'll get my hands on a couple more barrels or plastic tanks.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »

At the scrapyard one may purchase tanks by the pound.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

At the scrapyard one may purchase tanks by the pound.

If it gets to that I'll buy a home heating oil tank but I prfer the plastic chemical tanks with the cage aroung them. You can get them used for about 175. buck for a three hundred or even bigger some times.The only draw back is that 55 gal barrels are easier to deal with.So it's a matter of whats around when I need to do it.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »
One thing to remember. When you buy fuel in quatities, they will deliver. ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
One thing to remember. When you buy fuel in quatities, they will deliver. ::whoohoo::

The problem is stabilizing it. Gasoline does go bad. 
Seems an elevated Farm tank is the best bet if you are going to do it, and then you use it to fill your cars for daily use as well ( Perhaps 2 tanks and then alternate so you always have one full? )

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
  Well I finally picked it up and it's in the truck as we speak. The reason it took so long is that the little dick tried to bump the price on me to 600. and I told him what he could do with it.

All of a sudden he shows up two days ago and tells me that the Generator is mine for the original 400 that HE quoted me, I told him to stuff it and if he wanted to sell I would only give him(I'm ashamed to say)at which point he gave me the "we had an agreement crap,and I reminded him that it wasn't me that voided the agreement and reminded him that  that actions have consequences.

So I now have my back up generator complete with cover and cord and an 18 horse Honda on it.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »

Horse tradin' son o'a gun.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
  Well I finally picked it up and it's in the truck as we speak. The reason it took so long is that the little dick tried to bump the price on me to 600. and I told him what he could do with it.

All of a sudden he shows up two days ago and tells me that the Generator is mine for the original 400 that HE quoted me, I told him to stuff it and if he wanted to sell I would only give him(I'm ashamed to say)at which point he gave me the "we had an agreement crap,and I reminded him that it wasn't me that voided the agreement and reminded him that  that actions have consequences.

So I now have my back up generator complete with cover and cord and an 18 horse Honda on it.

Good on ya!
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
  I got it running tonight and it runs perfect! ::danceban::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:46:55 PM »
  I got it running tonight and it runs perfect! ::danceban::

Excellent!

I'll join ya'!

::bustamove::
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
Now you have a back up for your back up.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
We need to find a 1650+ for the lake, would like a Honda, got a guy lined up to do the wiring for the house so we can run off generator and dispense with the extension cords & crap when power outages hit like last years storm.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
We need to find a 1650+ for the lake, would like a Honda, got a guy lined up to do the wiring for the house so we can run off generator and dispense with the extension cords & crap when power outages hit like last years storm.

You mean 16,500?How many amps do you need? Or what are you running.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »

To run the house when power goes out.  I thought I heard my father say the electrician said we needed 6500 watts minimum, never done this so I don't really know.  My big thing is using gasoline-powered generators, stuff doesn't store well and if just temp to get over a storm thats one thing, but if the SHTF gas could get depleted quick.  I don't think my mother understands in a SHTF scenario running the whole house laundry et all off gas is not going to last long.  I am lobbying for a propane-powered generator (more bucks) but the propane tank if kept topped off could last a lot longer if used to just power well pump.  There might be some short-term draw on fridge & freezer while we gobble that stuff up first before cracking canned goods and then stored dehydrated stuff et all.  I have plans for an outdoor biffy so we don't waste propane on septic pump.  And we have the wood-buring stove for heat and light cooking and grills galore and firepit outside for cooking, so no wasted electircal draw there.  I think propane would be the way to go but they are talking gas generators right now.  We have lighting to resolve but our solar plans for minimal indoor lighting got put on hold.  Lots of balls in the air and everything is still in flux and we have a family meeting over Memorial weekend to decide, so I am trying to find out what I can.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
  This will give you a derection to think about:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200497115_200497115

Best of all worlds,This just a jump point or if you can get oyur hands a deal like I got(lucky)talk to somebody about changing a gas generator over to propane or natural gas depending on what you have available.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »

To run the house when power goes out.  I thought I heard my father say the electrician said we needed 6500 watts minimum, never done this so I don't really know.  My big thing is using gasoline-powered generators, stuff doesn't store well and if just temp to get over a storm thats one thing, but if the SHTF gas could get depleted quick.  I don't think my mother understands in a SHTF scenario running the whole house laundry et all off gas is not going to last long.  I am lobbying for a propane-powered generator (more bucks) but the propane tank if kept topped off could last a lot longer if used to just power well pump.  There might be some short-term draw on fridge & freezer while we gobble that stuff up first before cracking canned goods and then stored dehydrated stuff et all.  I have plans for an outdoor biffy so we don't waste propane on septic pump.  And we have the wood-buring stove for heat and light cooking and grills galore and firepit outside for cooking, so no wasted electircal draw there.  I think propane would be the way to go but they are talking gas generators right now.  We have lighting to resolve but our solar plans for minimal indoor lighting got put on hold.  Lots of balls in the air and everything is still in flux and we have a family meeting over Memorial weekend to decide, so I am trying to find out what I can.

The trick is not to run them any more than you have to. If you run  a smaller unit to keep the fridges cold it makes sense to have a small generator like a 3500 to do that with and run the big stuff only when needed to make the most out of your fuel.  I have an 8kw in my sights but no need for it at this time I saw a 6500 today for 300. but no need for it so I passed on it. And part of the problem is where to put all the stuff even if I bought it.

I need to get the hell out of Florida and back north where houses have cellars,God I miss my old house.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »
From JF's link:

I have a 4.5kw gas-powered genset and when my older frig cranks up and the 1500 watt microwave is going it bogs down pretty good. I know that I use the thing judiciously and since I can heat with wood I don't have to concern myself with the furnace kicking in automatically when everything else is going.

I haven't wired the X-over switch yet so I don't have hot water but I always have water heating on the stove and that fills the need for the most part. I use hurricane lamps and battery powered flashlights for light and only run my laptop so I don't need much more than that.

I do like the specs on the Winco genset though JF!