Author Topic: Buying another one.  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Buying another one.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Huh, they don't list well pump specs seperate, can't be much more than 1/2 hp sump pump I would think.  I'll have to play around with this info, thanks JF.

Ohh, I see one problem, that 9000 has a B&S engine, my BIL the contractor loaths Briggs & Stratton!  But the 8k has a honda.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
Huh, they don't list well pump specs seperate, can't be much more than 1/2 hp sump pump I would think.  I'll have to play around with this info, thanks JF.

Ohh, I see one problem, that 9000 has a B&S engine, my BIL the contractor loaths Briggs & Stratton!  But the 8k has a honda.   ::thumbsup::

I used this unit as an example of a multifuel unit,pointing out that you can have a multitude of options for fuel. Gases when you have them and gasoline when you have it,but keep in mind that all fuels don't put out the same power. A 9kw on gasoline isn't going to put out 9kw on the other fuels,natural gas being the worst of the three.

And no a 1/2 horse sump pump isn't the same as a 1/2 horse well pump as for the amount of power they will draw. The sump may only draw 15 amps at 120 volts and the well pump may draw 25/30 amps at 220 volts,just look at your breaker.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »

As to the well pump:
                               It may take from double to quadruple the amps to start it.
                               Choosing a generator with too small an output was my mistake.
                                Those ratings are optimal max you can't squeeze a little more
                                 out of it you just get this mmmm while the gasser is busting its
                                  guts.

If you know the pump motor manufacturer you can call their
                                  tech.  They are usually helpful.  I have a two wire not a three
                                   wire.  There are no points with the two wire for ants to foul.
                                    The two wire also draws twice as many amps at start up.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:12 AM »
Hmmm, thanks for the pump info, I'll have to look into how much we are drawing on that.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
  Thinking about converting it to tri fuel. Any comments?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »
  And no a 1/2 horse sump pump isn't the same as a 1/2 horse well pump as for the amount of power they will draw. The sump may only draw 15 amps at 120 volts and the well pump may draw 25/30 amps at 220 volts,just look at your breaker.

Normally, the higher the voltage, the lower the amperage. Watts / Volts = Amperage.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

Normally, the higher the voltage, the lower the amperage. Watts / Volts = Amperage.

Very true,those were examples I haven't looked at a well pump in years.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
While we are talking about Well Pumps.. don't forget this..
http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Hand-Operated.html

If power is a concern for the well, consider replacing the pump with one designed for a solar app..  they basically just move water more slowly -- power = Work/time.
Often this also involves having a larger tank or cistern on the surface to make up for the pumps slower water moving  capacity. This also means you have water stored above ground and ready for use  if you do loose power.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Freeze proof, that's important in my neck of the tundra.   ::thumbsup::