Author Topic: Judge Tosses Out Lawsuit Seeking Slavery Protection for SeaWorld Whales  (Read 682 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
PETA takes a well-deserved hit; one little bright spot in the dark.

**Written by Doug Powers

I’m reserving any sense of closure on this craziness until convinced the 9th Circuit isn’t going to jump in at some point and not only reverse this decision, but make SeaWorld pay the orcas reparations.

From Fox News:

An effort to free whales from SeaWorld by claiming they were enslaved made a splash in the news but flopped in court Wednesday.

A federal judge in San Diego dismissed an unprecedented lawsuit seeking to grant constitutional protection against slavery to a group of orcas that perform at SeaWorld parks, saying the 13th amendment applies only to humans.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller stopped the case from proceeding two days after he became the first judge in U.S. history to listen to arguments in court over the possibility of granting constitutional rights for members of an animal species.

Not to nitpick the good news, but it took him two days?!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Judge Tosses Out Lawsuit Seeking Slavery Protection for SeaWorld Whales
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
2 days...gotta make sure they are not humans in Orca costumes I guess...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.