Author Topic: What About Maine?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: What About Maine?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
If he can't win Maine it's pretty much game over.

One could honestly say that about either of the other ABO.
Yeah, Santorum just won 3 states but that seems to be about equal to a handful of spit.

No delegates.

I have a hard time seeing that Paul is more dangerous than Santorum.
Rick is just itching for a fight and he wants to meddle in my business.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
Give it another couple of weeks and I guess we will know if Santorum is for real.

As for Paul, I didn't see you disagreeing with me regarding his prospects.

Regardless, I will vote for anyone over O'Bongo.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
...I appreciate his presence in the campaign for his positions and tenacity on fiscal and monetary issues but realistically his usefulness is at an end. If he can't win Maine it's pretty much game over.

I've been thinking about his end game ever since (in my despair several weeks ago) I flirted with the idea of supporting him as what I saw as the last chance to stop Romney. If he really means what he says, he should be looking at the thralls that act like he's the second coming and figure out a way to pass the mantle to someone else. He needs to separate himself from the ideas he promotes. Too many of his followers act like he's the only person who can carry the torch they want carried. He needs to make sure that in defeat (because it is apparent now that he will be defeated again), he makes them understand that it was never him, it was the ideas. Maybe then someone can champion most of what he stood for, get rid of the wacky stuff, and bring some of those zealots back to reality.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:28:38 AM »
Trap, I never thought he had any chance.
But I hope he can do enough damage that Romney doesn't walk away with it

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »
I still see the Ron Paul phenomenon overall as a net good. Too many people have been brought into awareness of constitutional issues and fiscal crisis for me to think otherwise. The fact that he is an nonviable candidate running for president is beside the point as far as the good his candidacies have accomplished. If constitutional libertarianism forces a schism in the GOP, it needed to happen. If it causes a move toward libertarian values in the GOP, it needed to happen. The one thing that serves no good purpose and should not be allowed to continue is the Country Club Republican faction controlling the GOP's agenda. Ron Paul and his supporters are every bit as much a part of correcting that as are Tea Partiers - and I hate to say it, but they are probably more politically organized and networked.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 06:55:42 AM »
A wise nominee soon after selecting their Veep would get Paul to agree to be come Treas Sec in a new Admin and start cleaning up the fiscal and monetary mess the Neo-Keynesians have wrought.  It might be the only way to keep his supporters motivated to vote.

Of course if that nominee is Willard it won't matter to me what that idiot does...he and the GOP can then promptly go to hell by themselves.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:08:59 AM »
Paul recently was said to have stated that he sees little difference between O'Bongo and the other three Republican candidates. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about whether Paul will do the right thing for the country as regards getting out of way.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
He really said that?  Must have been to his base, eh?

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »
Paul recently was said to have stated that he sees little difference between O'Bongo and the other three Republican candidates. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about whether Paul will do the right thing for the country as regards getting out of way.

Sounds like the statement someone would make who is bitter and knows his time in the sun is waning.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
First, I do see a difference between O and the other 3 neo-cons.
However, could Paul be saying none of the 4 would cut government or acknowledge there is a Constitution, get government out of our lives, try to avoid war...

On those things, the difference is only a matter of degree
I didn't hear what Paul said so I could be wrong

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
I have no doubt Paul thinks he can cut government better than all the others, and he may be right, but part of being able to do that is having some sort of allies to work with, I don't know how willing the Repub's would be in enacting all of what a Pres. Paul would want to do, but for that matter I don't know if they'd go along with everything a Pres. Santorum would want either, or a Pres. Newt...but my big fear is how much they would be willing to go along with everything a Pres. Romney wants!

I have to think Paul was just throwing red meat to his supporters, if he wanted to burn bridges and accept the full mantle of "crusading outsider/the only one who can" deal, then it would be in a more bold public fashion where he announces his intention to run as an independent.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
I have no doubt Paul thinks he can cut government better than all the others, and he may be right, but part of being able to do that is having some sort of allies to work with, I don't know how willing the Repub's would be in enacting all of what a Pres. Paul would want to do,

An Executive Order would do a lot. Wouldn't need Congress

but for that matter I don't know if they'd go along with everything a Pres. Santorum would want either, or a Pres. Newt...but my big fear is how much they would be willing to go along with everything a Pres. Romney wants!

Pres Santorum would be more likely to go along with a lot of what Congress wants (if it's bad) because of political expediency

There will be no Pres Newt (or Paul) so we don't need to discusss Newt

then it would be in a more bold public fashion where he announces his intention to run as an independent
Not 100% sure that's completely off the table

I'll be voting 3rd party but not sure I would vote for him as 3rd party

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

However, could Paul be saying none of the 4 would cut government or acknowledge there is a Constitution, get government out of our lives, try to avoid war...

He would largely be right, especially when one considers the degree necessary to reverse the ship in all these areas with the exception of war avoidance.

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

DeMint would work with Paul.  Paul actually could be the catalyst of overturning
the senate to Conservatives.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
Demint is one of the very few good men in the Senate