Author Topic: "Exacto Mundo"  (Read 1030 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Exacto Mundo"
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
Not science, not a technological "advancement" .... art, I think.  Yes.  I watched, fascinated.

Italian cobbler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wGSFcE_lc&feature=player_embedded#!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "Exacto Mundo"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
Louis Vuitton is one of those high-buck designer brands, right? I think I remember Mrs. IDP speaking of their purses and handbags being ridiculously expensive. I s'pose it's no wonder. If their items are hand-crafted in that manner, that's worth something. I don't know if it makes it worth paying $1000 for a pair of shoes that'll last 10 years, when you can buy 20 pairs in the same period for the same or less, but hand-craftsmanship is obviously worth something to somebody.

And talk about your marketable productive skill for TEOTWAWKI. I wish I knew how to make something essential like that.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
All TLC and no ChiCom massed produced junk.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
Louis Vuitton is one of those high-buck designer brands, right? I think I remember Mrs. IDP speaking of their purses and handbags being ridiculously expensive. I s'pose it's no wonder. If their items are hand-crafted in that manner, that's worth something. I don't know if it makes it worth paying $1000 for a pair of shoes that'll last 10 years, when you can buy 20 pairs in the same period for the same or less, but hand-craftsmanship is obviously worth something to somebody.

And talk about your marketable productive skill for TEOTWAWKI. I wish I knew how to make something essential like that.

I enjoy making things and I enjoy watching other people do so -- the real experts.

It's not just the hand-crafting; some of those shoes are made-to-fit.  I don't believe I'd pay $1000 for a pair of shoes (or a bag), but if one has trouble finding shoes that fit properly, as I do .......

Women's shoes in a wider width are difficult to come by, much less in a size 5 1/2.  Advice from the salesperson is to buy a size 6, then.  Unh hunh.  That's like advising one to buy longer pants when the waist is too small.

John McCain, as I recall, was hectored by some during the '08 campaign because he wears custom-made shoes.  His feet were terribly tortured when he was in captivity.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »

A pair of well made shoes, ahhhhhh, that's the sound of relief.
A pair of hand made boots, now that's class and relief.
A grand doesn't sound too high for boots, for the boots will last
twenty years.