Author Topic: More statist intervention into areas once reserved for parents  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
More statist intervention into areas once reserved for parents
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/state-inspectors-searching-childrens-lunch-boxes-this-isnt-china-is-it/

If this kid was mine, these fascist pigs would be in the ER.  Screw the school and the school board!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: More statist intervention into areas once reserved for parents
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
Blown up into a national story now and people in NC are screaming mad.  Because people in NC are screaming mad, the gummint, including the school, has gone into CYA mode; still can't find out who the food-from-home Inspecktor is and the little girl is being portrayed as having "misunderstood".

Yah, sure.

Rush was all over this today and pissed.

Come to find out one Audrey Rowe, who is butt-buddies with the First Dietary Diva and who works for the USDA, has been going all around the country, inspecting sh*t that is not her business and vowing to the kids in Kentucky that the "food will be better" now that's she's on the job.

These people ....   ::angry::     We need to .....     ::gaah::

I'll tell you something I surmise about this whole issue:  the governments (Feds and State) are trying to get as many kids signed up for the "free and reduced lunch program", and this is another arrow in the quiver -- hassling parents who send lunch from home.  The mother in this recent event now owes *somebody* $1.25 for the "cafeteria tray" forced on her daughter.  As long as the "guidelines" are in effect and being enforced, at $1.25 a clip, it will be easier, and cheaper (the home lunch won't be wasted), for people like her to just cave and sign on.  Additionally, in order to comply with the "guidelines" parents are being told to include all the necessary items and whatever the child won't eat will be thrown away.  More expense and waste.

ETA:  And speaking of "guidelines", "two servings of grains".  Really?  "Obesity epidemic" ::snort::  and the f**king government is still pushing carbs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:18:09 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
We are experiencing a unique kind of tyranny, one that is not so much centered around a single autocrat and his retinue as it is a faceless, nameless army of bureaucrats. It's not unlike how people behave very differently in their cars in traffic, the anonymity of it emboldens behavior they would never do to another individual if they knew there would be actual interaction and consequences.

And that's the sticking point. Until there are consequences, and on an individual basis, the grind of technocratic tyranny will go on.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
Doubling down on the CYA:

Who is the Mystery Food-From-Home Inspecktor?

According to the mother and grandmother of the young girl, the preschooler said she was provided a cafeteria tray with other items to replace her lunch. She returned home with the lunch she brought to school untouched. She also was given a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a "healthy lunch" would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25. School officials have said the youngster simply needed to add milk from the cafeteria to her lunch.

No.  She didn't "need", she had juice, and the milk was probably that no/low-fat garbage.

The called the incident a misunderstanding, and that the mother will not be billed.

But other information surrounding the story remains unclear, and the government officials involved have provided sketchy — and sometimes conflicting — details. For instance:

• DHHS says the person monitoring the lunches was not employed by the agency. In a statement (PDF), the agency said it is not department “policy to inspect, go through or question any child about food items brought from home. The facts we have gathered confirm that no DHHS employee or contractor did this.”

• Hoke County assistant superintendent Bob Barnes told the Fayetteville Observer that the person conducting the inspection was a DHHS employee.

• USDA spokesman Bruce Alexander said the person monitoring the lunches was a “North Carolina education staff member” [sic] reviewing the facility.

• Another report said, “The government inspector was from the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised program at the FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The program gives schools a grade based on standards that include USDA meal guidelines enforced by the N.C. Division of Early Childhood Development.”

Contacted by email, Kelly Maxwell, a spokeswoman for FPG, would not say if the inspector was affiliated with the institute. Her reply stated, “The FPG Child Development Institute is not responsible for overseeing/monitoring early childhood programs in NC. The Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) is responsible for licensing early childhood programs in NC, including NC Pre-K.” FPG handled some oversight and monitoring when prekindergarten programs were part of the state’s Department of Public Instruction. DHHS took over supervision of those programs in the summer of 2011.

A follow-up email asking if the inspector in Hoke County had any connection with FPG received no reply.

CJ contacted Renee McCoy and Jani Kozlowski of the public affairs office of DHHS by email, asking if the agency had determined who employed the inspector. McCoy also was left a voicemail message at her office. Those messages have not been answered.

In addition, a Wake County Schools parent called WPTF and explained that a month or so ago, her 56 lb., 9 year-old daughter's lunch was inspected by the "lunch teacher" and was told the four cookies included in her otherwise "acceptable" lunch were verboten.

Obesity "epidemic".  Really.  Obesity is not contagious.  Apparently stoopidity is.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »

school, has gone into CYA mode; still can't find out who the food-from-home Inspecktor is and the little girl is being portrayed as having "misunderstood".

Did the daughter's parents misunderstand the bill for the replacement
lunch that was placed in the returned lunch bag?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »

school, has gone into CYA mode; still can't find out who the food-from-home Inspecktor is and the little girl is being portrayed as having "misunderstood".

Did the daughter's parents misunderstand the bill for the replacement
lunch that was placed in the returned lunch bag?

Or the accompanying note?  I doubt it.  Apparently, this mother has been battling with the school's "officials" for some time now over the issue of her daughter's lunch:

In an interview with the Civitas Institute the mother said “I can’t put vegetables in her lunchbox. I’m not a millionaire and I’m not going to put something in there that my daughter doesn’t eat and I’ve done gone round and round with the teacher about that and I’ve told her that. I put fruit in there every day because she is a fruit eater. Vegetables, let me take care of my business at home and at night and that’s when I see she’s eating vegetables. I either have to smash it or tell her if you don’t eat your vegetables you’re going to go to bed.”

The mother added, “It’s just a headache to keep arguing and fighting. I’ve even wrote a note to her teachers and said do not give my daughter anything else unless it comes out of her lunchbox and they are still going against me and putting a milk in front of her every day.

“Friday she came home and said ‘Mom, they give me vegetable soup and a milk,’” said the mother.

“So I went to the cafeteria to make sure she had no fee and it’s not being charged to her account yet,” she continued, ” but what concerned me was that I got a letter from the principal and it says students who do not bring a healthy lunch will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria. So if I don’t stay on top of her account on a weekly basis there’s that opportunity that charges could be put on her account and then if I let it go too far then it’s like I’m going to have a big battle.”

It is about "Federal money" and control:

“As part of the evaluation, they look at students lunches that are brought from home to make sure that they meet USDA guidelines. And this school, we’re told, lost points this year because too many children were bringing their lunches from home and they did not meet, according to this inspector, the USDA guidelines.”

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/02/15/fox-follow-up-reporter-who-broke-school-lunch-story-that-sparked-national-debate-speaks-out/

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
The fact that this mother is even in the position of explaining herself makes me want to turn someone's face into raw hamburger.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/state-inspectors-searching-childrens-lunch-boxes-this-isnt-china-is-it/

If this kid was mine, these fascist pigs would be in the ER.  Screw the school and the school board!

Thats what I was thinking too: If some lefty stuck his hand in my kid's lunch I'd clock him
Can you just imagine it? These people think they can do whatever they want.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
That's because they CAN.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
That's because they CAN.

Only because dunderhead parents let them

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
Sing together now: the laaaaand of the freeeee, and the hooooome of the braaaaave!

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Sing together now: the laaaaand of the freeeee, and the hooooome of the braaaaave!

We need a new song, a dirge a think.  The theme - "This is the country we live in now".

Who did the "If 10% is enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam"?  Him.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who wants to push faces in, and I don't have any kids!  I have nephews working through school and let me tell ya, my BIL takes no sh*t and my sister makes him look like mild mannered Clark Kent type by comparison when it comes to the kids!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
Being without kids myself, it is maybe too easy or glib for me to say, but keep your kids the hell away from any public school! Considering how they perennially produce generations of functional illiterates and Ignoranti (tm) despite their enormous budgets, can there be any doubt that the prime purpose of public schooling is the sociopolitical indoctrination of other people's children? It's not about education, certainly not the objective, apolitical sort of education that would teach them to become functioning adults. It has become little more than a captive audience of impressionable minds, what Rush calls the young skulls full of mush, rendered captive by order of the state.

It's funny, groups like Pink Floyd got the message that the individual is the tiniest minority, made into fodder for the machine when the state is collectivist, yet they probably all along were envisioning that state to be some sort of rightist entity. So many artists get so close, but they have such a blindspot.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
I'm glib too, if I had kids, private school all the way, or home school, of course it is easy for me to say, if actually placed into that situation I'd like to think I would adhere to that conviction.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
I cannot imagine the conversation that would ensue if our school were to send my child's lunch home with a note telling me that the school's lunch was substituted because my lunch provision did not meet the school's guidelines. Actually, I can imagine it. I'm glad that at least for now, I'm relatively sure that no such thing would happen in our district. I value my freedom, and don't relish spending time in jail for assault.

A second case...

The lunch Zambrano packed for her daughter? A cheese and salami sandwich on a wheat bun with apple juice. The lunch she got in the cafeteria? Chicken nuggets, a sweet potato, bread and milk.

The memo, dated Jan. 27 with the subject line “RE: Healthy Lunches,” was signed by school principal Jackie Samuels and said, while “we welcome students to bring lunches from home … it must be a nutritious, balanced meal with the above requirements. Students, who do not bring a healthy lunch, will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria.”
Then comes the part where I do things that may get me taken to jail.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:28:38 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
“We are not the lunch bag police,” Barnes told McClatchy. “We would never put a child in any type of embarrassing situation. But we are responsible to see that every child gets a nutritious meal.”

Obviously somebody is ... and ... who said?

NC cannot be the only state in which this is happening.  PARENTS!!  Do your jobs!  Find out who is screwing with your authority and, more importantly, your child, and strike them down!!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
  What no birth control with lunch?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »

Maybe they crush it up in a teaspoon of grape jelly unless the parents opt out.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »

Maybe they crush it up in a teaspoon of grape jelly unless the parents opt out.

Maybe they do it and don't inform the parents on the grounds -- well, choose one; mainly that parents are iggnerint and do not act on the behalf of the best interests of their children.

I'm spitting mad at this point. But y'all prolly knew 'at.