Author Topic: Cardinal Francis George is a coward  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Cardinal Francis George is a coward
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/cardinal-apologizes-linking-gay-parade-kkk-010821624.html

You were right the first time!  Nice way to step up and throw your own beliefs under the bus and look like a bigger dumbass!  I'm sure queer nation will rally to you now...

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

CatholicCrusader

Re: Cardinal Francis George is a coward
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »

You were right the first time!  Nice way to step up and throw your own beliefs under the bus and look like a bigger dumbass!  I'm sure queer nation will rally to you now...

Thats a pretty rude thing to say.

Homosexuals suffer from a disorder: Same-sex attraction.
Yes, homosexual sex is a grievous sin, but many things are grievous sins. Adultery, fornication, theft, blasphemy....  ...these too are also mortal sins, as much as homosexual sex is. If you have had sex outside of marriage, that is fornication, and your sin is just as wrong as theirs. Drunkeness is a mortal sin, but alcoholics suffer from a disorder of sorts too. Their disorder may not excuse the sin but it does mitigate it, and we seek to help them, not ridicule them.

The KKK on the other hand are people who choose to be a-holes and often violent. They do not suffer from any disorder, they are just bastards.

The Cardinal is supposed to be a man of God, and he followed his conscienmce in this regard. It actually takes a measure of courage to do a mea culpa, especially knowing it will draw fire from people like you. So he is no coward.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »

You were right the first time!  Nice way to step up and throw your own beliefs under the bus and look like a bigger dumbass!  I'm sure queer nation will rally to you now...

Thats a pretty rude thing to say.

Yeah, we kinda say what we think around here without worrying about being rude, especially to somebody that isn't here and will never read or be aware of what we've said.  Not that that matters; most of us would say what we had to say to their faces.

Homosexuals suffer from a disorder: Same-sex attraction.
Yes, homosexual sex is a grievous sin, but many things are grievous sins. Adultery, fornication, theft, blasphemy....  ...these too are also mortal sins, as much as homosexual sex is. If you have had sex outside of marriage, that is fornication, and your sin is just as wrong as theirs. Drunkeness is a mortal sin, but alcoholics suffer from a disorder of sorts too. Their disorder may not excuse the sin but it does mitigate it, and we seek to help them, not ridicule them.

The ones who planned to
"route a parade at a time that would have interfered with services at a church."

.. don't want our help.

The Cardinal's remarks -- He said it resembled anti-Catholic marches once staged by the Klan. The time of the parade was changed -- looks like they struck home.

The KKK on the other hand are people who choose to be a-holes and often violent. They do not suffer from any disorder, they are just bastards.

I don't give a sh*t about the KKK, a defunct piece of history.  I do give a sh*t about teh gayz re-enacting their bullspit.

The Cardinal is supposed to be a man of God, and he followed his conscienmce in this regard. It actually takes a measure of courage to do a mea culpa, especially knowing it will draw fire from people like you. So he is no coward.

The Cardinal is meant to respect the church's teachings, not his conscience.  If the sinner is hurt by plain truths, TOO f**kING BAD.

And you can knock it off with the "people like you" crap.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
The ones who planned to
"route a parade at a time that would have interfered with services at a church."
.. don't want our help.

Yep, thats pretty rude of them. But how many alcoholics are rude when they are in a stupor? Alcoholics can do some foul things when thery are in a stupor, and I am sure that later in life, if they manage to get clean and sober, they will regret it all. I am not excusing the behavior, I am just saying that a priest, who is meant to go out to sinners with the Gospel, has to see things differently than the average Joe.

My "people like you" refers to people who will have a knee-jerk reaction and ridicule a man of God, without considering the complexities of the issue. So with that in mind, NO, I won't knock it off. You just don't fly off the hook and call a good man a coward with out actually considering what he really did and why he did it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »
The ones who planned to
.. don't want our help.

Yep, thats pretty rude of them. But how many alcoholics are rude when they are in a stupor? Alcoholics can do some foul things when thery are in a stupor, and I am sure that later in life, if they manage to get clean and sober, they will regret it all.

My "people like you" refers to people who will have a knee-jerk reaction and ridicule a man of God, without considering the complexities of the issue. So with that in mind, NO, I won't knock it off. You just don't fly off the hook and call a good man a coward with out actually considering what he really did and why he did it.

You're making assumptions about what Libertas did or did not consider.  Not within your purview, fella.  So, you CAN knock it off, because the "people like you" are "people" like me and I'm not having any.

Homosexuals are not like alcoholics nor dope fiends; they're possessed of an idea, promoted by today's "culture", that they are entitled to, perfectly sober, have intercourse with what I see as sin, will defend it to extremes and are intent on imposing their demand for, not just celebration from the rest of us, but making their deviance legal with an eye to persecuting any who disagree.

I don't care that you don't like the opinion, but you will respect it and the other members here by not calling them out rudely and making assumptions about their thoughts and expression.

Am I clear?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
I would simply state I hold to my opinion, I see no difference between radical homosexuals pushing an agenda or radical racists like the KKK pushing theirs.  Do they have a right to their opinion, sure, and so do I.  If the situation was in reverse and he compared a Klan rally to a gay pride parade and then caved into the Klan and appologized I would be equally critical.  Conscience is wonderful and everyone should have one, but principles trump conscience, period.  Conscience is merely an internal guide, principles should be eternal and unshakeable, violate the latter all you want and trumpet the preeminence of the former, but do not be surprised if many others find that opinion wrong side up.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
I would simply state I hold to my opinion, I see no difference between radical homosexuals pushing an agenda or radical racists like the KKK pushing theirs.  Do they have a right to their opinion, sure, and so do I.  If the situation was in reverse and he compared a Klan rally to a gay pride parade and then caved into the Klan and appologized I would be equally critical.  Conscience is wonderful and everyone should have one, but principles trump conscience, period.  Conscience is merely an internal guide, principles should be eternal and unshakeable, violate the latter all you want and trumpet the preeminence of the former, but do not be surprised if many others find that opinion wrong side up.

Its a tough issue for sure. On a human level, I can't deny that they turn my stomach and p_ss me off.

But if I am to be true to my faith, I have to look at other things. Same sex attraction IS a disorder, and I am forced to say that it is therefore a mitigating factor. I am also forced to say that sins are sins, and mortal sins are mortal sins, and one guy's mortal sin is no worse or no better than another guy's mortal sin. There is a long list of mortal sins, some of which we have ALL done. When I was younger and not thinking about God, I boinked lots of chicks, and got drunk, and got high, and all that jazz. Now I can look back and say I wish I hadn't done it. Can I deny someone else the same leeway that God gave to me? Its a tough thing to grapple with. But then again, nobody ever said that being a Christian was easy: Its not supposed to be.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:19:22 AM by CatholicCrusader »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »
I'm not sure that I see what the issue is. The guy compared homos to the KKK? Well, they're both snappy dressers. Both groups are innately dysfunctional. And both groups are highly anti-social agitating morons.

Oh.....he took it back?

Now I get it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
I would simply state I hold to my opinion, I see no difference between radical homosexuals pushing an agenda or radical racists like the KKK pushing theirs.  Do they have a right to their opinion, sure, and so do I.  If the situation was in reverse and he compared a Klan rally to a gay pride parade and then caved into the Klan and appologized I would be equally critical.  Conscience is wonderful and everyone should have one, but principles trump conscience, period.  Conscience is merely an internal guide, principles should be eternal and unshakeable, violate the latter all you want and trumpet the preeminence of the former, but do not be surprised if many others find that opinion wrong side up.

Its a tough issue for sure. On a human level, I can't deny that they turn my stomach and p_ss me off.

But if I am to be true to my faith, I have to look at other things. Same sex attraction IS a disorder, and I am forced to say that it is therefore a mitigating factor. I am also forced to say that sins are sins, and mortal sins are mortal sins, and one guy's mortal sin is no worse or no better than another guy's mortal sin. There is a long list of mortal sins, some of whicj we have ALL done. When I was younger and not thinking about God, I boinked lots of chicks, and got drunk, and got high, and all that jazz. Now I can look back and say I wish I hadn't done it. Can I deny someone else the same leeway that God gave to me? Its a tough thing to grapple with. But then again, nobody ever said that being a Christian was easy: Its not supposed to be.

I understand that.  To me forgiveness should have come from the offended group (well, they always say they are offended, but leaving that aside...) a preemptive mea culpa to people promoting something antithetical to doctrine, well, I think the good Cardinal stepped in it, but everybody has to live with their choices, none are perfect, but all should strive to be better.  I know I am not perfect, oh no, not nearly so.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »

... many things are grievous sins. Adultery, fornication, theft, blasphemy....  ...these too are also mortal sins .... If you have had sex outside of marriage, that is fornication, and your sin is just as wrong as theirs. Drunkeness is a mortal sin, but alcoholics suffer from a disorder of sorts too. Their disorder may not excuse the sin but it does mitigate it, and we seek to help them, not ridicule them.

Finally .... An explanation for Ted Kennedy . And I just thought he was a no good bastard ! I stand corrected .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:58 AM »
I realize religious leaders have a difficult job in a world full of sin, And his comparison may have been overstated, but IMO, his apology was at least too broad, if needed in the first place.

IMO, he missed a good opportunity to teach against the grievous sins, not offer an apology for a biblical tenant. I suppose I'll never know, but I'd love to ask him why he felt the need to apologize to a group who openly defy the teachings of God and embrace sin as natural and moral, as opposed to those drunkards, adulterers, and yes, gays and lesbians who may be in the church, making the effort to FLEE from those sins.

To me, there is a large difference between those attempting to change their sinful life(style) and those who embrace their sinful lifestyle. One group belongs in church, one group doesn't.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »
Couldn't agree more Don!   ::thumbsup::